Healthy work meal ideas

Options
Pinkylee77
Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
I thought it might be nice to share some healthy meal ideas for work. I find it is my biggest issue is work eating.

Replies

• PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The things I bring are easy peasy -- yogurt, nuts, carrots, apple slices, cherry tomatoes, cheese sticks, maybe a salad, sometimes a meat-cheese wrap in whole wheat tortilla, sometimes some dry whole wheat cereal (ie, shredded wheat) as a snack.

It took awhile but I finally stopped eating any of the chips & sweets that are in the break room. I just don't go there. Once in a while if someone brings in something homemade I will try a small piece but avoid the store-bought stuff.

We don't have a cafeteria in our clinic just a few vending machines so I really have to bring my own stuff. My greatest weakness is stopping on the way home from work for a quick meal when I'm tired & hungry.
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    I love to take home made soups to work or whole grain salads
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I can eat the same lunch for years and never get bored of it. Breakfast takes me about 3 months before I'm bored, but dinner I get bored easily. That being said, my lunch is always either 4 oz chicken breast or 4oz Jennie-O ground turkey, 85g black beans, and half of a birds eye steamer. I change the veggie for variety. Sometimes, we have pico made and I toss that in. My work breakfast is always either oatmeal (I like BetterOats Maple & Brown Sugar or Blueberry Muffin) or greek yogurt and fruit. My snacks are either greek yogurt (if I didn't have it for breakfast), an apple and PB to go, string cheese, a luna protein bar.

And my clinic is next door to a convenience store so when I need some junk, I like Tim's Salt & Vinegar chips, and Snickers PB Squared. What I love about the Snickers is that they are so rich I am totally ok with eating 1 of the two squares. 125 calories, and I have one in my desk for tomorrow.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I make things in advance, although I work a maximum of 4 days a week (always do 12 or 13 hour + shifts), I batch cook a curry the night before or a stew or something like that and warm it at work. I eat 2 meals and a snack at work and dinner when I get home. :)
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Cut up 2 heads of cauliflower in florets.. Drizzle with olive oil then salt, pepper and curry powder. Roast 425 for about 45 minutes. Part way through add some boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Fabulous leftovers for work lunch.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Make extra of dinner from the night before so you can have it for lunch the next day.
    Cold cuts (such as honey ham or rotisserie chiken) on whole wheat bread with thin sliced cheese , cottage doubles, or light yogurt, string cheese, fruit, pistachios. Sometimes i throw all of these things into my lunch bag for work so I can eat all day. 12 hr Shifts mean I eat breakfast at work, so I like to bring a banana, whole wheat bread or english muffin and cottage doubles. that's my breakfast for about 450 cals because I put peanut butter on the toast/eng muff and put sliced bananas on it...yum!
  • PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this sound good?

"Cut a small avocado in half and remove the seed, scoop cottage cheese on each half, top with toasted sunflower seeds (or almonds, walnuts, peanuts, whatever), and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Crank some salt and pepper over the whole thing. Eat in your mouth. This obviously takes one-and-a-half minutes."

(Source: Jen Hatmaker on Facebook)
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    provon wrote: »
    Cut up 2 heads of cauliflower in florets.. Drizzle with olive oil then salt, pepper and curry powder. Roast 425 for about 45 minutes. Part way through add some boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Fabulous leftovers for work lunch.

That sounds yummy. We do chicken thighs often and I love roasted vegetables.
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    PamOliva wrote: »
    Doesn't this sound good?

"Cut a small avocado in half and remove the seed, scoop cottage cheese on each half, top with toasted sunflower seeds (or almonds, walnuts, peanuts, whatever), and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Crank some salt and pepper over the whole thing. Eat in your mouth. This obviously takes one-and-a-half minutes."

(Source: Jen Hatmaker on Facebook)

Yum!