Will water pills kick me out of ketosis?

Options
I bought some water pills without really thinking. I don't want to ruin the progress I've made and kick myself out of ketosis . Is it okay to take them ? Also I'm having trouble with constipation now. How can I fix this?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not taking water pills, ever. Especially on low carb. There's a thread by @dittodan about constipation on low carb right now, you'll probably find some helpful info in that thread.

Again do not take those pills.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Omg! Don't take water pills. Especially if you're constipated. That's a sign of dehydration in itself.
    Why do you feel you need them. There's probably a much better way to deal with your symptom.
  • greenleopard94
    greenleopard94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not taking water pills, ever. Especially on low carb. There's a thread by @dittodan about constipation on low carb right now, you'll probably find some helpful info in that thread.

Again do not take those pills.

Okay I trust you ! And thank you! I'll check it out. You're really helping me out lol
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    There is also a lot of info in the launch pad if you haven't already looked through there. Make sure you're getting enough fat, others have found that helps in getting things moving. I don't have issues with constipation but I go less frequently than before, so that may be what you are experiencing. Unless you are in discomfort from it. As far as the water pills, on lc you do not retain water like on a higher carb diet so they are completely unnecessary and could cause serious problems with dehydration as sunnybunny mentioned
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This thread also covers idea on how to deal with actual constipation.
    But, it also discusses determining if it's actual constipation because it's not actually necessary to go every day. Eating better quality, non processed foods, particularly on a high fat diet, will simply produce a lot less solid waste.
    Some people still use fiber as a remedy, but that's more applicable to a higher than Keto carb level and honestly, not only unessesary but in some ways could just add to the problem. The thread discusses it all.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10320038/need-more-fiber-help#latest
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    sorry ... what is a water pill?
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    sorry ... what is a water pill?

Also known as Diuretics, they cause the body to shed water through increased urination. It's commonly used in medical situations where a patient is retaining dangerously high levels of water. Some people use them to speed weight loss. You remember how on the first few days of eating Keto you suddenly lost 5-10 LBS in a few days? That was "water weight" and is what people try to speed up by using "Water Pills." They really shouldn't be used by anyone unless under a Doctor's direct supervision and as others have said, if you are eating LC then you could be in for a serious dehydration problem by taking a diuretic.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    oh! Right! duh. Sorry. I was thinking the opposite. A pill that puts water INTO your body. I was thinking.... wouldn't it be more effective to just drink water? I was a bit confused thinking the pill was made of water or contained water. I totally get it now. Brain fart. :) Thanks for your patience.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't feel water pills have any effectiveness with an LCHF woe. Imo, they can lead to major situations of dehydration. There are medical situations that need them (like congestive heart failure), but most of those folks wouldn't be here, on mfp. :wink: