My non-LC spouse went to the grocery...

Options
My sweet hubby grabbed the grocery list early Sunday morning and headed to the store. We usually do our shopping together, but I was up all night with our son who had the rotavirus (poor kid puked all night). Hubby did his best but some choices were not exactly what I was looking for:

- HWC – instead he grabbed ½ and ½
- Butter – he grabbed Kerry gold (YAY), but it is unsalted.
- Bacon – he bought bacon with nitrites and sugar, instead of uncured which is what I always get (I’ll eat it but won’t save the grease now)
- Chocolate – I meant 89% cocoa bars, he brought home a 12 pack of Reese’s peanut butter cups instead!
- Pasta - I meant miracle noodles, but he bought regular

The above is all my fault as I thought I would be the one shopping and did not specify exactly what to get. Have I really gotten so picky about food selection... absolutely! :)

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reese’s peanut butter cups - too funny!!! :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Sounds like about what would happen here. ;)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    LOL, when I saw the title of your post I thought "oh no". My DH would be the exact same way and I am pretty picky about stuff too, especially my go to brands and backup brands. I make my lists based on me going to the store (or together), but never for just him going!

It was super sweet and thoughtful of him to go though!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can send the peanut butter cups to me. I try to save room in my carb budget for them. :)
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My husbands cannot even join me because he wants to buy all the junk food all the time. He once went by himself (I did not know because I was working late and he wanted to surprise me) and he spent my entire 2 week budget for a few days worth of food bad foods however he was so proud that he found so much organic and GMO free foods as he could. I was pregnant at the time so I cried then was happy then cried again.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    You can send the peanut butter cups to me. I try to save room in my carb budget for them. :)

As tempted as I am to ship them out I will probably eat every single one because they are my absolute favorite candy.... At 9 grams of carb a piece I better be good and spread them out over a few weeks.

Or I can just leave them on the counter and my boys will relieve me of the temptation in a few days!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Sounds like about what would happen here. ;)

Yep, same here :lol:
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar, so well meaning n hard to get mad at. Surely bacon is bacon right? Nope.

The unsalted kerry gold is a bonus for making a bullet proof coffee. I use that and coconut oil and or HWC or light in your case :)
  • ShootingStar72
    Options
    Yes, he is so well meaning and is such a sweet guy. I will try the butter in BPC. I might love it! I can just add salt when cooking. Thanks for the idea!

Just opened the pickles and realized he got sweet gherkins, 8g carbs per pickle! :p I think I may be on the higher end of LC for the next week.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I would be the same way...cringing inside but trying not to show it. lol. Just the other day my husband was so proud to surprise me with a jar of cashew butter. He'd gotten the honey roasted sweetened one instead of the plain with just cashews. It's the thought that counts.

As for the butter...I even use salted butter in dessert and bulletproof coffee.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Yup, my hubby would be the same. I'm pretty much used to him blowing half our grocery budget on chips, soda, and nasty pre-fab frozen and canned foods that I wouldn't touch even before LCHF! He's getting better now that he's eating lower carb with me, but it's still an issue.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Yes, he is so well meaning and is such a sweet guy. I will try the butter in BPC. I might love it! I can just add salt when cooking. Thanks for the idea!

Just opened the pickles and realized he got sweet gherkins, 8g carbs per pickle! :p I think I may be on the higher end of LC for the next week.

Yeah, I buy both salted and unsalted. I honestly haven't noticed a difference, but I usually use unsalted in my coffee.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    lol When hubby was not LC, I started making lists with pictures. He liked those! Now that he's LC, he reads labels as much as I do and will Lose. His. Mind. over carbs. Of course, shopping takes twice as long!
  • ShootingStar72
    Options
    Lists with pix, great idea! I have him scanning ingredients lists for red 40 (hate that it is in so many kid foods) and checking all expiration dates. Time to focus on the nutrition labels as well!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Lol I shared this post with my hubby and we had a giggle. That scenario has played out so many times in our house. He empathises with your hubby.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    In the beginning my hubby didn't even try to shop, since he knew he wouldn't get it right! Now that he is LCHF too, no problems! He did comment a couple of days ago about how the regular grocery foods have changed (but, where has he been? It's been different for almost a year!! Lol!)!
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Haha, all you can say when they try that hard and fail is "well you tried honey". I don't dare let my husband grocery shop without me, we'd have tons of fries, chips, and no real food.