Good Portable Snack Suggestions - Store bought & homemade

Options
BRobertson23
BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
Hello! I'm currently at day 8 since dropping my carbs to 20-22 net carbs per day. I am currently in the middle of a competitive cheer season where I judge for probably 6-8 hours (possibly more!) at high schools across the state. During the competitions the directors offer food and beverage options to judges. Prior to going LC I could handle the options given to me on these long Saturday competitions, but now I am having to bring my own snacks. Does anyone have some suggestions for great LC snacks that are portable and don't require refrigeration? I'd love options that I could make at home and bring with me in addition to store bought options.

Replies

• kmarieb83
    kmarieb83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, babybel cheese, beef jerky, buff bake packets, nuts.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Can you bring an insulated lunch bag for keeping things cool? If so you would have the option of tuna with mayo, lunch meat / cream cheese roll ups, and things like that.
  • zyxy55
    zyxy55 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds with salsa or hot sauce. Watch out for MSG (aka monosodium glutamate or sodium glutamate) in the ingredients though. It makes me ravenous if I eat any.
  • zyxy55
    zyxy55 Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Guacamole (add lime so it won't go brown) with low carb veggies. My recipe is just avocado, lime, and sometimes seasoning (garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper).
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    A few of my faves are macadamia nuts, pepperoni, radishes & dark chocolate...
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I am trying to make sure I am setting myself up for success, and the way these competition days are set up, meals get spread WAY FAR apart, so having handy snacks that I can have with me at my judges table is helpful.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It might take some getting used to, but my snacks are macadamia nuts and sausages. I've found only one kind of sausage (hot italian) that has no sugar or grains in it. I cook a big bunch of them and freeze them. Individually wrapped in plastic. Take one with me, by the time I need it, it's thawed and I eat it out of the plastic wrap like you would a chocolate or granola bar and nobody is the wiser. I take 2 or three and I feel like I had a meal. A bit weird but totally works.

edit: yes I eat the sausages cold. Yes I do this on a regular basis as I work at farmers markets a lot. I leave around 6am and get home around 3:30pm and can't sit for a meal until I get home. so, sausages it is.

Or if you can do cream cheese, (I can't anymore) I mix cream cheese and a few eggs (maybe so stevia and cinnamon) mix as best you can in a small microwave safe dish. A couple minutes in the nuker, turn out onto tin foil, wrap it up and go. It will be insanely hot for a while. I eat it quite a while later. It was originally from an Atkins site calling it a "mock danish". I never found it tasted like a danish even by stretching the imagination, but it worked as a portable low carb food.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cans of almonds

Jerky

Quest bars if you have a little carb room in your day or are going to burn them off

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just FYI: Quest bars - in the US they have upped the fat content and many of the bars are at 50% of calories from fat, and the fiber cancels out a lot of the carbs. I'd rather get my fat other ways though, so I am glad it's still the 30% formulation in Canada. Easy to transport option though.