9 months post-op and not losing any weight

Options
xickel
xickel Posts: 48 Member
Hi all, I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jennifer and I had my surgery in April 2015. I've lost 85 pounds so far but need to lose another 50 to 60 and have come to a stand-still with my weight loss.. meaning I haven't lost but a few pounds over the past month or so. I know there are things I'm doing wrong: not eating enough protein, eating too many carbs, and not exercising. I want to get back on track with my eating and incorporate exercise into my weekly routine.. just looking for some words of encouragement / advice. Thanks!

Replies

• gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Okay - time to make a U-Turn!! :-)

Don't give up - just get back on track and you will find your way again. It can be those very things that you mentioned that you weren't doing right that have led to the issues with the stalling.

Need some help send me a message and I will be happy to just talk it over. You can do this since you have done it this far already.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I bet that putting your new bad habits in writing on here was difficult. You know the things causing you stall...but I totally understand that it is still HARD! I'll help encourage you! Send me a friend request if you'd like!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we just need to take a step back and remember how far we've come and what it took to get there. Sounds like you have done awesome. Things will slow down we can't keep loosing like the first few months. Sounds like you have in mind what to do. Pat yourself on the back for coming this far. Start each day with a positive attitude and make those changes you need to make. We are here for you!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Time to get back on track. Follow the program and the program provides. Carbs are my downfall as well, the more I let myself cheat, the more my body craves them. At least you know where the faults are and are ready to correct them
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am nine months out and my loss has stalled too, I do get my protein and stay under my carb and calorie count...I could be more consistent with work-outs, as everyone said we know what to do - but I think part of it is mental too - we are coming off that honeymoon and it becomes harder and slower. Dig in you've come so far - we can do this together!
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Did you get hand outs from your doctor at the beginning? I'm kind of in the same boat. I need to pull out the literature from my clinic and read it again. I'm 5 months post surgery and I'm stretching to lose a pound a week. I exercise (mostly walk on the treadmill, but have started back with water exercise, too) 5 times a week/90 mins+ day. I fanatically track everything. I'm under 900 calories/day. ... But I eat too many nuts every day. I cheat with saltines (salty/crunchy snacks are my downfall). I need more green leafies in my diet. I don't always get my water in. Thirty pounds to go seems as impossible as ever. I'm not giving up, though. I feel your pain.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Once we stop losing easily , the way we do after surgery, the hard part starts. It can be quite difficult adjustment, since we quickly get used to the scale drops (it's so much fun to see the scale drop!)! When it stops it can send us into a tailspin!

What I did: I returned to eating the same food I had eaten pre op (carbs, sugar....processed junk!), thinking it was okay since I couldn't eat much of it (was a recipe for disaster!)!

Once I dropped the carbs, and focused on eating meat and vegetables, I found true success! I dropped the "finish line" mentality too! There is no diet (or WLS)that allows us to return to eating the foods that created the problems to begin with! Having that as a goal needs reevaluation, imo!

WLS does not create the ability to eat the foods we think we love! I made the mistake of thinking it did (gosh, this was so wrong!), and have paid dearly for this thinking! I now look at food with the thinking that if it doesn't "love me back" it's not worth eating!

Good luck!
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your re-journey! I've read earlier threads about doing the pouch test and "going back to the roots". That could quite possibly help you make a new start. Maybe go back to the liquid phase for a few days and then just start everything again. I know you can do this. I'll be honored to cheer you on!
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Totally feel your pain! I am back on here tracking to specifically find my errors each day. I am guilty of thinking I can eat the same way I did pre-op because I don't eat much at all! Wow what a mistake. Sure I may be eating less than 1500 calories but discovered that it was mostly fat and carbs!! I am back to searching for new protein heavy meals and maintaining my food tracker. It helps to keep me honest. I have lost a total of 112 pound... this last week I saw the scale go the other direction for the first time! Up 4 pounds! I know it is those little things that I think I can get away with like butter on popcorn as a snack, cream in my coffee, crunchy salty snack food (which I seem to crave). So please feel free to add me as well. I had my RNY in May 2015. The support I find on here is awesome, and it is like the Pinterest of WLS, so many ideas to work with for help. My name is Judi.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I watch the Biggest Loser. On the first episode of the new season, one of the trainers, Jenn, said something that truly resonated with me and accurately reflects my weight loss journey. She said, "you will fail your way to success."

I shan't go into what all she could have meant, because I honestly don't care how she meant it. But I do care about what those words meant to me! To me, those words meant that: Even though my journey so far has been riddled with mistakes, hiccups, bad choices, stumbles, complacency, weight gains, countless numbers of do-overs, and way too many occasions of me falling flat on my face, that I am no less of a success. Why? Because as many times as I miserably failed, I chose to pick myself up each and every time and just kept on going more than the number of times that I failed. I currently have a NET weight loss of 120+ pounds, with more to go. I am certain that over the past two plus years, I have gained an accumulation of well over 60 pounds and lost an accumulation of 180 pounds; just because my journey wasn't perfect with the scale only ever going down, that doesn't mean that I haven'd had success along the way.

Let go of those feelings of guilt and inadequacy, because you are not perfect and you will never be. I am not perfect. We are not perfect. But damn it, WE will continue to improve ourselves one meal and one stroll around the neighborhood at a time! I will keep failing my way to success because I am human! I just need to make sure that I progress more than I regress!!!

Start with dinner tonight and get going in the right direction!!! You've got this!!! :)
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @xickel, there are many words of wisdom posted here for you and I know I can't top what has already been said. Just wanted you encourage you to login every day, read the posts and status reports and start commenting. I've done that and feel a surprisingly strong connection to a large group of people I have never met. It really helps!
  • xickel
    xickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you who've responded to my post, it has all been very helpful and encouraging! I've been making new friends and having them like and comment on my progress motivates me to keep going. Also seeing the progress my new buddies are making is inspiring!
  • ashleybatchelor16
    Options
    You sound like me, I had my WLS (sleeve) in April 2015, have lost about 60 lbs and need to lose another 50 or 60. I have also stopped losing for the last month or so and feel worried about continued weightloss. I wonder if anyone who is this far in the journey or further can shed some light on their daily food intake/work outs? Should we still just be focusing on 50 or less carbs, 60 or more protein and water/day? How about calories, do you count those? Hope y'all have a wonderful day! :)
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    jkern9110 wrote: »
    Because as many times as I miserably failed, I chose to pick myself up each and every time and just kept on going more than the number of times that I failed. I currently have a NET weight loss of 120+ pounds, with more to go. I am certain that over the past two plus years, I have gained an accumulation of well over 60 pounds and lost an accumulation of 180 pounds; just because my journey wasn't perfect with the scale only ever going down, that doesn't mean that I haven'd had success along the way.

Let go of those feelings of guilt and inadequacy, because you are not perfect and you will never be. I am not perfect. We are not perfect. But damn it, WE will continue to improve ourselves one meal and one stroll around the neighborhood at a time!

The best thing I have read on here in a long time! Thank you! You are speaking to my soul right now. I needed to hear that. Been feeling like a heel, loser, 'never going to happen' fatty, and you put it into perspective for me. Yes, failure is always going to happen, but I am looking into what caused it. Thank you Thank you Thank you!
  • deedeetris
    deedeetris Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This post has been very inspiring! I have also fallen off the wagon and I'm eating too many carbs, sloppy when it comes to eating protein and veggies. Thanks--it is comforting to hear we are all normal and can do this! I was feeling very guilty because my surgery really was a gift and I am so happy that it has changed my life--now time to use it and finish the process. Let's keep moving on!! :)
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ladies - as I said I am nine months out almost ten now and I log faithfully and measure like a fiend...my profile is open if you want to check out my macros, I was set up by a sports nutritionist so I know the mix is spot on! I really think this is the time the body starts to fight us and we need to just dig our heels in and fight harder...I know I am! I am not going back EVER...this stall will pass, keep on keeping on <3