Amazing low carb dessert...

Options
AshleyC1023
AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
This is some decadent and very keto friendly stuff here. I made it with peach but you can use any flavor jello you like.

Since I have a big family, all my recipes are adapted to make at least 12 servings. Half this as needed.

2 packets sugar free peach jello
2 cups hot water
1 cup ice water
1 cup heavy whipping cream.

Boil 2 cups of water (Microwave in a big safe pyrex bowl for 3 minutes does it) pour in packets of jello and stir with a whisk until all dissolved.
Add in the 1 cup of ice water and stir until slightly cooler (can still be too warm to keep your finger in) then add in the 1 cup of HWC and stir thoroughly. Then put in a 8x8 glass pan and let cool. (ETA just like jello, has to be refrigerated like 4+ hours to set)

It's full of fat, super low in carbs (2 servings is like 3 total carbs) and just really really good. The HWC takes the jello flavor on and it separates perfectly.

Replies

• 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Please post a pic!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ooh, sounds good! :)
  • AshleyC1023
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sorry it's late and I didn't feel like posing it and digging out the good camera, so phone camera will have to do. It stays pretty well, my kids took some for lunch this morning.

Here's the stats from MFP:
    Peaches and cream jello, 2 serving(s) 140 3 13 1 80 0

It's probably lower than that, as it made 16 squares and I only accounted for 12.

ztmamqsy857b.jpg
    uz5ka9dc60rv.jpg
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Looks delish!!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. This is not a food judgment in any way, merely an observation from my own searching and food challenges...every single type of gelatin available for purchase to the public at grocery stores are sweetened with aspartame (with the exception of gelatin which can be purchased wholesale ...but let's face it, who in their right mind is going to buy $500.00 worth of flavored gelatin even if it isn't sweetened with aspartame?) so no flavored jell-o for me. I stay very far away from aspartame by personal choice. I tend to use unflavored gelatin (Great Lakes brand) and whatever flavor extract strikes my fancy at that particular moment in time. I think I'm gonna have to make up a batch of this stuff though. Your pictures look very good / tempting!! :)
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    You could definitely do that. I don't mind the aspartame flavor as much as I do many of the other sugar free substitutes. I hate Stevia with a passion of 100 fiery suns. This was great value brand for the peach, I haven't found "Jello" in a peach flavor at the store. It's actually very mildly sweet. I'm not much on artificial flavoring either, but as a once in awhile treat, it's tolerable.

No butthurt from me at all. Some people don't like aspartame and love Stevia. Stevia makes me wish I hadn't attempted to sweeten anything at all. I want to give Swerve a shot but I can't find it at walmart or the Commissary. Sweet n Low is sweet n gross, but I don't mind the yellow packets of fake sugar, whatever they are.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    That would be splenda (the yellow packets). Ez-Sweetz is liquid sucralose...the liquid version of splenda. I understand what you mean about personal taste when it comes to artificial sweeteners. I quite like swerve too. The only places I have found that carry it locally near me are sprouts and they Sometimes have it on sale. Of course when I see it on sale I pick up quite a few bags. And the other place I tend to see it at is Whole Foods. The only other place that I've been able to buy it is online from places like Netrition.com or amazon.com. You might also consider trying "just like sugar." I've only ever I've been able to purchase just like sugar online though Fwiw.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish! Thanks for posting!

Alas, I am one who avoids artificial sweeteners (all of them!)since they do weird things to me! It does sound good though!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Ok I know nothing of aspartame please inform me as to why you stay away from it, I have noticed I have to stay away from all sweats as it makes me hungry for a couple days after. Wondering if it's due to the aspartame
  • AshleyC1023
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks Ladipoet - we have a sprouts locally. It's a long drive as it's not on my side of the city so I've never been. I wish we had a whole foods or trader joes! A city this size you'd expect one of those, (450,000 people) but no. We have Costco and Sam's. I may get it on Amazon, I have Prime.
    I'm actually surprised our commissary didn't have it. They have a lot of the "weird" foods, like quinoa, flax seed meal - half an aisle dedicated. But they didn't have any Xylitol, just the "gum" stuff that's sweet and I can't remember the name of. They have Shiritaki noodles but I was pretty turned off by the packaging - small package filled with fluid and the noodles floating...eh.

I barely ever eat sweet stuff now, and I don't drink any soda, so aspartame is a "new" flavor for me about every time. I don't notice any side effects of being hungry or anything with it, but I did with Stevia. Actually I had 2 servings of that last night after dinner and was down almost 2 lbs this morning. Your mileage, of course, may vary.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Oh I love the noodles but the only way I've tried so far is in a stir fry with cabbage a meat, soy sauce mushrooms and why ever else I have. I rinse the noodles really good and dry with paper towels then I dry more by frying in a skillet a couple minutes before tossing in other cooked veggies. It's a must try...
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Ok I know nothing of aspartame please inform me as to why you stay away from it, I have noticed I have to stay away from all sweats as it makes me hungry for a couple days after. Wondering if it's due to the aspartame

Etta, I don't stay away from Aspartame because of the taste. To me it tastes intensely sweet (obviously) and tastes good. I personally find it highly addictive. I stay away from Aspartame because it is quite literally a neurotoxin - translation, neuro = mind, toxin = poison. Some people agree with this; others do not. By all means, do your own research and decide for yourself on the matter. I've done a lot of research online via Google and reading certain books. I made my decision after reading some compelling research by a doctor (Tim O'Shea) and a teacher (Russell Blaylock, a professor of neurophsysiology). I'll send you a link to it and an excerpt so as not to further high-jack this thread. I'm certainly not slamming anyone who chooses to use it after all everything to do with diet, how and what we eat to properly nourish our bodies comes down partially to how our bodies react to things, to personal taste and the choices we make in connection with those factors.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @ettaterrell I simply avoid all artificial sweetners because it does set me off without a doubt. Makes me hungry and the cravings are hard to control for days after (diet coke is THE WORST)
    For some reason though, I have finally found a very specific type of protein bar that has relatively little effect on me if I only eat one. Got them at Shoppers Drug Mart here in canada. I know they must have some AS in them, but they're in the car.
    I usually only have emergencies when running errands that take longer than planned or when I'm away from home. It's very much winter in Canada. I'm not going outside to check the details on them. But almost anything with AS will kick me out of ketosis. These ones do not.
  • AshleyC1023
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Etta, I don't stay away from Aspartame because of the taste. To me it tastes intensely sweet (obviously) and tastes good. I personally find it highly addictive. I stay away from Aspartame because it is quite literally a neurotoxin - translation, neuro = mind, toxin = poison. Some people agree with this; others do not. By all means, do your own research and decide for yourself on the matter. I've done a lot of research online via Google and reading certain books. I made my decision after reading some compelling research by a doctor (Tim O'Shea) and a teacher (Russell Blaylock, a professor of neurophsysiology). I'll send you a link to it and an excerpt so as not to further high-jack this thread. I'm certainly not slamming anyone who chooses to use it after all everything to do with diet, how and what we eat to properly nourish our bodies comes down partially to how our bodies react to things, to personal taste and the choices we make in connection with those factors.

Feel free to link it, I don't mind a little thread jacking, especially in the name of science!