Migraine Miracle

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
A new member mentioned this in their application.

I want to point out that I suffered from chronic migraines until I went keto/low-carb. I haven't had a single one since. I know others who have the same experience. Cutting carbs seems to help migraine suffers.

I have never heard of this specific book/program but I believe it is on to something.

Replies

• danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mine haven't disappeared completely, but are far less severe than they used to be. I can now eat and drink during a migraine. I could probably even work. I would say the pain went from a 8 to a 3.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the book, but I've seen it in studies and first hand. I used to suffer from migraines and cluster headaches. I went from taking 800mg of Ibuprofen a day, nearly every day, to almost never needing it within about a week of dropping my carbs (and when I do need it, I don't usually need more than 400mg).
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.epilepsy.com/information/professionals/co-existing-disorders/migraine-epilepsy

Migraine and epilepsy are highly comorbid.

... headaches are being effectively treated with an antiepileptic drug...

Keto = antiepileptic = anti-migraine?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    http://www.epilepsy.com/information/professionals/co-existing-disorders/migraine-epilepsy

Migraine and epilepsy are highly comorbid.

... headaches are being effectively treated with an antiepileptic drug...

Keto = antiepileptic = anti-migraine?

I've little doubt of that conclusion. They have a lot of the same roots (neurological), and keto addresses those roots.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had the worst migraines since I was a small child. My mother took me to see a doctor for them at 5 years old. Nothing took them away until I started low carb. I have not had a single migraine since February 2014.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "got less but didn't go away" camp, but they happen a lot less now, and some vitamin X (exedrin) fixes them up nicely, so I am super glad to be rid of horrible, painful, icky 4-5 times a month migraines.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Not gone, but sooooo much better than they used to be!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Not gone, but sooooo much better than they used to be!

Ditto. Thankfully, I likewise get them much less often now. Before starting Keto, I was popping acetaminophen like candy...several times a week, sometimes several times a day. I still will get a headache every once in a while but really enjoy the fact that my life is now largely (at least the majority if the time) headache free. Had forgotten about this until this thread came up.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Fellow migraine suffer here. Mine aren't completely gone but they are more tolerable. I have one today from lack of sleep (tough shift at work yesterday and I was up for over 24 hrs). But it is tolerable and just more of an annoyance than anything. I was diagnosed when I was between 10-12 yo (can't remember exact age) and I have been on every medication under the sun for control. I have been off all migraine meds (preventatives)except for magnesium for several years now. The side effects of the drugs were sometimes worse than the headaches but they did help get them under control. I have to say that this WOE has proved to have better control than most meds I was on. I may have 1 a month now which is glorious relief for me. I have also noticed that my normal monthly menstrual migraine has been MIA the past 2 cycles and those were my worst ones. I am actually anxious for my next cycle to see if the trend will continue. I have also noticed a lessening of other PMS symptoms also.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/10991/874-dr-josh-turknett-identifies-how-low-carb-ketogenic-diets-treat-migraines/

From Jimmy Moore's website. I haven't listened to the podcast yet but found the blurb interesting.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a relative noob having done keto for 4 weeks. My headaches are gone, my tremors too. My seizures haven't reared their heads either. The neurological protective nature of keto is astounding. The solution to all my brain issues was staring at me all this time
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    That's great news @kimbo8435. So glad for you that LCHF has helped you in such positive ways!! On the flip side of that, it makes me sad that fear, misinformation and disinformation put out by our government, medical agencies, and food companies can and does often prevent so many people with preventable health issues from receiving the relief and long-term resolution to many of their health issues. :(