Off plan meal experiment

Options
anglyn1
anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Last night I had planned a meal that was higher in carbs that I've been in months and I wasn't sure how my body would react. In the past five months I've stayed below 50 net carbs with about 99% of days at 20-30.

Every year on my birthday my mom makes me lasagna (gluten free since I have celiac). I knew I could do a zucchini lasagna and keep it relatively low carb but I really wanted to stick with the traditional. So I decided for my birthday dinner I would allow a serving of lasagna and a "regular" dessert. So last night I had lasagna and a hot fudge sundae. My total daily carbs equaled right at 100 because I stuck to the usual plan the rest of the day. I also burned a lot of calories shoveling snow beforehand.

Anyhow the results so far: Ketostix still showing ketones last night and today. No increase on the scale. I had my normal coffee and hwc for breakfast and didn't eat lunch til 3 p.m. No unusual hunger or cravings. Other than some soreness from shoveling I'm not having any worsening of my RA symptoms.

Overall I feel positive about the experience. I am not planning on having these off plan meals often at all because I can see where too many could lead to slippery slope back to my old ways and I love the benefits of keto way too much for that. I also I really enjoy many keto foods so I don't feel deprived. Plus the hot fudge sundae was way too sweet to me now! :)

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to enjoy your birthday dinner. Sometimes I wish off-plan meals would have more negative consequences, because then it would be more motivating to stay perfectly on plan. But mostly I just find that previously loved foods are just not as palatable to me anymore. I'll still eat them, because I think I *should* like them, since I always used to, but I won't enjoy them. Hubby is finally learning this for himself, and I'm grateful he is beginning to understand what I've been telling him all this time about seriously not wanting ice cream and cake and whatever.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    100g is still mildly ketogenic, and it could be very ketogenic with the addition of snow shoveling. :)

For me, even at 100g or so, I don't get cravings unless I eat very specific foods. I think it's more about the quality than the quantity of carbs....
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Glad you were able to enjoy your birthday meal without negative repercussions. :)
    I've had some mixed experiences with a few off-plan meals in the past few months. Too much sugar triggered a lot of reflux and I know what you mean that "regular" desserts often seem too sweet now!

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The snow shoveling no doubt had a big hand it for sure.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    WTG! Sounds like an awesome way to celebrate your Birthday and with no negative results. Bravo!
  • anglyn1
    Options
    I figured the shoveling was probably why I still seem to be in ketosis. I guess it's a good thing that I have had very few birthdays that aren't hit with huge snows! haha
  • Tanya1551
    Tanya1551 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thats amazing!
    I plan on doing something similar when i hit my first 20 lost on keto - just a small treat meal.
    I totally agree with others though, eating non lchf foods now doesnt always sound appealling to me as i like to see purple on my pee stick
    Lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Great job! Happy Birthday too!
  • anglyn1
    Options
    Thanks guys! Day two after the event and I'm still my usual weight. Again no unusual cravings.

According to all those everything in moderation people that like to warn everyone against keto and low carb I should have gained most of my 19 pounds back after eating those carbs since it's all water weight you know! hahaha
  • tashigolean115
    tashigolean115 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can bounce my carbs (never more than 100) and stay in ketosis. But I do 16:8 intermittent fasting which I believe helps. I also believe in the quality of carbs. My usual cheats are the occasional gluten free pasta (wheat allergy) or regular potatoes/sweet potatoes, or chips and guac at a Mexican restaurant. I don't do it often (maybe once every month if not more), but I just do it one meal and I make sure the rest of my week is on point. I also find that the occasional higher carb day, tends to shake up a stall/slow down.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you. That's great news and very inspiring and helpful to know.
    Happy Birthday btw!