Any Runners in this Group?

Options
BRobertson23
BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
I'm 10 days in on LC and feeling fairly good. Prior to starting LC I was training for a 10K. I did my first half marathon in the spring of 2015. I actually really enjoy running and want to continue the long runs when and where I can. However, when I did these runs before, especially at 4-6 miles I would eat a heavy carb meal before hand to ensure I had the right amount of fuel. At this point in time, the only race I am expecting to do is a 5K in May, so I'm not needing to train, but I do want to run.....anyone here who has some tips for how they handle longer runs on LC?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I don't do long distances, just working to improve my 5K speed.

Are you familiar with the performance aspects of LC? Peter Attia's site is a great resource:
    http://eatingacademy.com/category/sports-and-nutrition

What happens when you train while restricting carbs is a metabolic shift towards preferring fat as a fuel, even at higher intensities. This conserves glycogen, so you never bonk, and you don't need to refuel unless you're going at a sprinter's pace.

Bottom-line: no need to fuel for a 10K, but only if you train. If you don't train, you don't get nearly as fat-adapted, and the shift won't happen. Attia says he can go 6 hours on a bike with just water.

I bring a baggie of nuts with me to 8K races (my max distance), but just to eat after the race if I get hungry.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome. I got back into running this summer and as I moved into LC I found the first few weeks my speed took a hit (5k) but after the first week my endurance just took off. I felt a lot less tired after 5k than when I was HC...I just didn't have the energy for sprints. After about 4-6 weeks though my speed came back, the endurance stayed and I even could manage a couple sprints. I love running while in keto..once i've adapted. Just be patient and you'll start to love it too :)
  • BRobertson23
    Options
    This is good news! Thank you! I took last week off after my 10K race and figured that with starting LC I might not have the energy to do my runs. But I am hoping to get in a run (maybe 2!) this week. Happy to hear that my distance days will still be good with some training. Yay!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that you will bonk worse during adaptation than any other time. I don't run, but I bike and it was bad when I was in adaptation mode. Now I'm all good.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get keto adapted, your runs will get better. I run 25-30 miles a week and am training for my first half.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that you will bonk worse during adaptation than any other time. I don't run, but I bike and it was bad when I was in adaptation mode. Now I'm all good.

Yeah, it appears to be oxidative stress that triggers the adaptation. In this case, "no pain, no gain" is true. :)
  • BRobertson23
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Get keto adapted, your runs will get better. I run 25-30 miles a week and am training for my first half.

Awesome! I wish you the best on your first half! It was a tremendous experience for me when I did it...something I never envisioned for myself, but something I'm SO GLAD I did. Good luck!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just mentioned this in another thread but I was three weeks away from a 5K race when I started keto. That was a bit rough; my speed and endurance definitely took a hit for the first several weeks.