Starting your day with protein!

Options
2dogzrule
2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
We all know protein is an important part of your diet. It is a building block for bone, muscle, cartilage, skin and blood. It's important to listen to your body, know the times you are hungriest and incorporate protein into those times! I get the evening munchies, so I try to use protein twice in the day and twice at dinner so I am getting more when I am hungriest. I use Shakeology in the morning, followed by eggs mid-morning and either chicken or fish at dinner. What are some of your favorite proteins and how are you making them work for your day? Do you have any challenges?

Replies

• tmtatum01
    tmtatum01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    we eat a lot of chicken and fish, but we also like to switch it up with pork, turkey, and occasionally beef. We are having a hard time figuring out how to incorporate beans on this plan. We usually do shake for breakfast, salad with chicken or fish for lunch. But dinner is the hardest to master. I'm use to making rice and beans as a side dish with our meals but if I do that then we exceed our limits for the day. Another dish I'm struggling with is stir fry. I'm use to making stir fry at least once - twice a week and I haven't found a way to incorporate it where we're not blowing our sugar and sodium levels. Who knew shrimp and vegetables would break the myfitnesspal scale
  • 2dogzrule
    Options
    I usually save things like beans for dinner. I have a healthy black bean and rice recipe that I will post over the weekend. For stir fry, I use cooking spray instead of oil or butter and if I use salt, I use a really good sea salt. I do not use sauces, but use spices instead to flavor. My two favorites are smoked paprika and cumin (I use Morton and Bassett spices) I also throw an egg in for protein and sometimes rice to make it more like a "fried" rice.
  • soummer
    soummer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For the purpose of the Fix, beans are a starch. But as for the way my dr wants me to track, they are also a protein. Since getting enough protein is a problem for me, this is a very good thing :)

I was having eggs for breakfast most mornings, but realized my daily fat quota was being obliterated by them, so i'm looking for another source. I actually don't care much for traditional breakfast fare, so I've been having things like pulled pork with tortillas.

My fiance took me to McDonalds today, where I had an Egg White Delight. 250 calories.
  • pbgrenier
    pbgrenier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do eggs for breakfast and a half scoop of protein in kefir (probiotic). Lunch & dinner usually some type of meat. My worst time is after dinner when kids r in bed I look for a sweet and I have found that 1/3cup plain whole fat Greek yogurt, 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein powder (done shakelogy before but too much $ for me so now do Vega one) and sometimes a teaspoon of peanut butter makes a yummy mousse like dessert and curbs my craving!
  • 2dogzrule
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Great job on the egg whites Soummer. Grilled chicken is good for breakfast too!

Britni, after dinner is a tough time and a shake is a great choice. I save a lot of protein for dinner since that is also the time I get the munchies. You can also make shakeballs - I have not tried vega before. What flavor do you use? Shakeology is pricy, but I've seen great benefits from it that have far outweighed the cost.
  • soummer
    Options
    Gees it just snapped into my head that i could use a whole egg and an egg white...or two!

You know, i really hate wasting food, even an egg yolk. There's been times in my life that food was scarce enough to make that unthinkable. Those days are gone, and the yolk is full of fat, and lower in protein than white. And like my fiance is trying to get me to accept, calories are better in the trash than on my hips! :)
  • 2dogzrule
    Options
    Yes, eggs are great for you in moderation! I eat 2 a day most days and the weight keeps shredding off! I am glad your days are looking better!
  • 2dogzrule
    Options
    I did something yummy for protein today that also booted a carb from my evening meal. Broiled a turkey burger as well as 2 portabella mushroom caps and used the mushroom caps as a bun for the burger. Yummy!
  • soummer
    Options
    i'll have to remember the mushroom trick. i love me some mushrooms!

Figured out what to do with that extra egg yolk.... hard cooked it next to my scrambled eggs, then when it was cool put it out for the birds re: squirrel ;)
  • 2dogzrule
    Options
    soummer wrote: »

Figured out what to do with that extra egg yolk.... hard cooked it next to my scrambled eggs, then when it was cool put it out for the birds re: squirrel ;)

You need a dog to feed it to. :)
  • soummer
    Options
    Ha! That may come. Dear Fiance is definitely hinting about having one. I'm not sure it's fair to the dog, since we plan so much traveling. But I can trust that DF will take good care of it. He is a no-nonsense kind of guy.
  • 2dogzrule
    Options
    LOL that is cute!
  • 2dogzrule
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you reach the end of the day and you are still hungry (I mean really hungry!) and you have tried drinking water, but are still hungry, eat an extra protein or veggie.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    2dogzrule wrote: »

You need a dog to feed it to. :)

That's what I do
  • nomadic_frau
    nomadic_frau Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Gees it just snapped into my head that i could use a whole egg and an egg white...or two!

You know, i really hate wasting food, even an egg yolk. There's been times in my life that food was scarce enough to make that unthinkable. Those days are gone, and the yolk is full of fat, and lower in protein than white. And like my fiance is trying to get me to accept, calories are better in the trash than on my hips! :)

You can buy just egg whites at the store so no wasted food necessary. =)
  • ariel1116
    ariel1116 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I usually have eggs and yogurt. Snacks I'll have an apple and peanut butter. When I want a salty/carb fix I'll have veggies chips. And dinner I'll have chicken with veggies. I struggle with trying to eat the green containers. But I also need to go grocery shopping so it should be easier once I do that.
  • soummer
    Options
    High Protein Zero Carb Fried Egg Omlette zero carbs, zero gluten. this is my second attempt. i used cheese this time to glue it all together for folding, but i think with practise i will be able to omit that and really lower the fat grams from 13 to 5. 210 calories with 2% cheese, 101 without. Really good if you can't eat, and miss eating, toast.

1 whole egg
    1/2 c egg beaters
    2 slices cheese

Fry whole egg until just barely done to your liking. Slide spatula under, remove and set aside, still on spatula.
    Add egg beaters to pan, low to med-low heat.
    When nearly set, add cheese all over, then egg on one side. Fold.
    Turn off heat and let rest in pan a couple of minutes to melt the cheese and finish cooking the egg.

vkhmke7nkjqo.jpg