Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

eggplant

Merrysix
Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
I love eggplant and make a great ratouille w/ onion/garlic/red pepper/zucchini/shallots and lots of eggplant, olive oil.

Does anyone know any other eggplant recipes that are relatively easy to make, "clean" and low carb?

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I love eggplant and make a great ratouille w/ onion/garlic/red pepper/zucchini/shallots and lots of eggplant, olive oil.

Does anyone know any other eggplant recipes that are relatively easy to make, "clean" and low carb?

I don't know if they are enough "easy", but if you love eggplant you can't miss
    caponata:
    http://memoriediangelina.com/2011/06/18/caponata-alla-siciliana/#.Vqc2AfnhDIV
    and (if you eat diary) parmigiana:
    http://memoriediangelina.com/2010/08/21/parmigiana-di-melanzane/#.Vqc2JfnhDIV
  • rim14isluv
    rim14isluv Posts: 44 Member
    Anyone has any ideas on how to make Eggplant Rollatini healthy? I love it and instead of making lasagna at my upcoming party, i'm thinking of making Rollatini. But i only eat it when i'm on a break from my diet. How can i make it healthy?
  • Cassiea199
    Cassiea199 Posts: 21 Member
    Did u consider making lasagne with eggplant instead of noodles?
  • barmstro007
    barmstro007 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    I love baba ganoush. When in season, I buy a lot of eggplant, roast and peel it, then put it in ziploc bags and store it in my freezer to use all year. I roast it for about 45 minutes, peel it, then chop it up to go in my food processor. Add some garlic, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil. I also add an onion that's been chopped and slowly cooked until soft and caramelized. Add a handful of chopped parsley. Blitz it until it's smooth. Serve it in a shallow dish, spread out, with a little more good olive oil drizzled over it. I'll use it as a dip with celery, peppers, and carrots.

I also make moussaka with it.
  • rim14isluv
    rim14isluv Posts: 44 Member
    Cassiea199 wrote: »
    Did u consider making lasagne with eggplant instead of noodles?

Yep, I do that a lot, but Rollatini can be served as an appetizer or a main dish. Just wanted to know if there was a healthy recipe out there.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Use large, cooked eggplant slices as bread for sandwiches!
  • MichaelfromNE1
    MichaelfromNE1 Posts: 16 Member
    I put a couple of cloves of crushed garlic and some dried hot pepper in 2T of EVOO for about 30 minutes. I split the eggplant in half and brush it with the oil then either grill it on my outside grill or sear it on my inside grill. Once nice and seared with grill marks I top it with sliced fresh tomato and one teaspoon of grated Parmesan. I then bake it in a moderate oven for 20 -25 minutes and let it cool a bit. It is great!!! Skip the cheese if you want, it is still great!!!
  • MichaelfromNE1
    MichaelfromNE1 Posts: 16 Member
    I also use thin slices(the long way) spritzed with evoo on each side and grilled then make pannini sandwhiches along with with portabella mushrooms and roasted sweet red peppers. You want to use a light thin bread and use a pannini press or griddle leaving grill marks.
  • auntjudith254
    auntjudith254 Posts: 29 Member
    Merrysix wrote: »

Sounds great. Do you peel the eggplant? If so, before or after you cook it?
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    I love eggplant, and all your ideas.
    I cook onions, eggplant, tomatoes, zuchini, sometimes spinach leaves, sometimes brussel spouts in olive oil, then either pour in beaten eggs for an omolette/fritatta kind of thing, or, poach eggs and serve on top of the eggplant mix. Yummy.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I roast chunks of eggplant along with red onion (recipe also calls for red or orange pepper - but not a fan). Spritz some olive oil on top + salt & pepper - roast until nice and soft & charred. I also add a bit of minced garlic in the last 10 minutes of cooking so it doesn't burn. add to any kind of cooked grain, I like bulgur or quiona. Make a lemon vinaigrette and add to pasta and vegetables. Add in some chick peas, chopped parsley and if you like, a bit of chopped feta and pine nuts. Eat the second day for best flavor. It can be a bit high in calories depending on how much cheese/nuts you add, and the amount of oil used, but it's super awesome. Based on a Barefoot Contessa recipe.
  • stitch56
    stitch56 Posts: 4 Member
    I dry eggplant in my dehydrater season it a little olive oil and I use it in place of bread.