I'm Back

Options
I had vertical sleeve surgery a couple years ago. I never got to my goal but I was pretty happy with my results until I started regaining and then regained some more. I am ready to get back on track and just downloaded the 5Day Pouch Test. I am going to have to get a bit more organized to start that but I know I will do better if I start tracking on MFP again. I am looking friends that are struggling with the same thing or have been successful getting back on track.. We can do this, we have the tool just need to be using it!!!

Replies

• TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm in the same boat. Had surgery 2 1/2 years ago. Very happy with the results, but still haven't made it goal. This past year was tough - gained & lost & regained the same 15 lbs
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Best wishes ladies - there is an awesome support group on FB BariFit - I totally suggest checking it out, it's run by a certified sports nutritionist I met that is awesome and provides great guidance... she also has her own website www.barifit.com - she's also a bari patient so she knows our life! We are all here for you!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm only 1 yr out but I totally get the weight gain thing because I became inattentive over the holiday months and put on 5 lbs. Now I'm trying to be mindful about what goes into my mouth and lose the 5 lbs and then hopefully another 10-15 after that. It is an ongoing process.
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    weight gain sucks. So far logging on MFP and getting back to the basics taught in all those classes seams to work. Duh......
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am with you!! In looking at my "weight report" I have been slowly (but steadily) gaining since October and I am now 12 pounds above my lowest weight (166.7). I would really like to get to 160....I know we shouldn't get hung up on numbers, but that is my dream goal. :)
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I get hung up on the numbers too Thaeda. I've lost 80 lbs (1 yr out) but still worried over those last 20 lbs or so. Though I think working on losing that weight is probably easier then learning to maintain and not having a clear goal to work towards.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    I get hung up on the numbers too Thaeda. I've lost 80 lbs (1 yr out) but still worried over those last 20 lbs or so. Though I think working on losing that weight is probably easier then learning to maintain and not having a clear goal to work towards.

Yeah-- you know maintenance is a lot tougher than I thought it was going to be. Sometimes I wonder if I didn't slack off a little just to have the extra weight to lose-- I know it sounds crazy--- but it crossed my mind.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »

Yeah-- you know maintenance is a lot tougher than I thought it was going to be. Sometimes I wonder if I didn't slack off a little just to have the extra weight to lose-- I know it sounds crazy--- but it crossed my mind.

Actually I think I do that "on purpose" (subconsciously). I know how to lose weight. I know how to reach a goal. With "maintenance", there is no goal. there is no real purpose. You never actually "get there" (where is "there"? Where you already are!). Its like having a goal to get to Florida, and once you get there your only goal is not to leave... well... duh. Kind of demotivating since you are basically "done" permanently.

So I subciously gain a few pounds, freak out, get back to business and lose it back. I am good at losing! Why not do what you are good at?! Lol... oh well. just so I keep it at the "few pounds" mark, its working for me. Though I think I am going to set my goal 5 pounds lower than I really like... that way when I freak out, its actually no big deal even if it feels like it.

And yes, having other goals helps. Running a marathon, etc. But still. losing is something I am good at... been doing it all my life :)
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too became very lack with my program since around beginning of Nov..both exercise, eating the right foods and tracking my food...sadly put on about 4lbs through the Holidays. I'm on Day 3 of the 5DPT, had some pretty bad carb withdrawls yesterday, was so nauseous, and I wasn't surprised because I was really abusing carbbage over the last 2 1/2months, and eating amounts that were way out of control, all day..but I can tell this has def been a turn around my pouch is feeling tight again already like it should with the very small amounts I'm taking in again, and I'm back to wondering the same thing I was several months ago, how am I possibly going to be able to eat what they want me to in calories and nutrients daily? Haven't felt like that since my Nut last upped me on my daily cal around 8 months. Great feeling again..now, this time..I'm not gonna pay as much attn to getting to those magic numbers they're suggesting and pay more attn to what my pouch is saying! Coming up on my 1yr surgiversay in a month, and I'm beyond ready to be taking control again! The 5DPT has been a great way for me to get back on my program
  • Thaeda
    Options
    duffslove wrote: »
    The 5DPT has been a great way for me to get back on my program

So glad it is working well for you! This past week, I have been going back to the "protein first, then veg" rule and I was astounded at how few cals I needed to be really, really full. Amazing how well things work when you get back to basics. :)
  • gasegirl
    gasegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery 3 years ago and this past year I have gained 45 pounds. I began drinking heavily and not logging, also had a major thyroid problem. I've since quit drinking, started logging and had thyroid surgery. Hoping to loose that 45 this year. Talk about feeling like a failure. I spent almost 12k out of pocket for my surgery. Grrrr
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    gasegirl wrote: »
    I had my surgery 3 years ago and this past year I have gained 45 pounds. I began drinking heavily and not logging, also had a major thyroid problem. I've since quit drinking, started logging and had thyroid surgery. Hoping to loose that 45 this year. Talk about feeling like a failure. I spent almost 12k out of pocket for my surgery. Grrrr

I am sorry to hear you've struggled so. Drinking is definitely a minefield, I'm finding. I got through the holidays fine, but found that after drinking a couple glasses per night for a week or so while being snowed in that a) it is really hard to turn off the desire for more (way harder than pre-surgery) and b) alcohol causes both fluid retention and weight gain like nothing else I've consumed since surgery. I think it's only ever going to be a once-a-week, single serve for me, or I will wake up in similar circumstances. I pray that you will find the strength to get back to where you need to be and overcome your obstacles!
  • gasegirl
    gasegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I'm still not drinking. I haven't been on the scale, it's not what I need right now. I'm gonna keep doing what I'm supposed to and hopefully get my thyroid thing in check. I honestly can't believe how fast things spiraled.
    Again thanks.