Hello from Cape Cod Massachusetts

Options
funchords
funchords Posts: 413 Member
Hi there,

Robb here from TOPS MA 0009 Dennis chapter. I joined in August at TOPS joining weight 275.5 and my last TOPS weigh-in was 217. As you know, these are different than your typical naked on the morning scale weigh-ins. It's good to meet people going through the same thing as me, keeping two sets of weight records (morning and TOPS), and doing weight-loss differently than those in the chapter.

On July 9th, I was preparing for bariatric surgery when my surgeon's staff recommended MyFitnessPal for food tracking (you need to track your food after the surgery). They assigned it as weekly homework, along with walking 3 days for 30 minutes. It worked very well. After the 3-week homework assignment was over, I kept tracking and walking.

In just two more weeks, I started having hypoglycemia. My blood glucose was in the 80s and I needed some sugar immediately. If you've ever had it, you know the feeling: hot, confused, weak, a little sick. 5 weeks of walking and doing fairly well on MyFitnessPal had changed my needs. I ended up dropping all of my insulin and most of my metformin. In two more weeks, I dropped everything. My blood glucose is in the high 60s and low 70s and I feel just fine. My HbA1C is 5.6 -- same as a non-diabetic.

I continued on MyFitnessPal and walking and I put my surgery on hold. I've now lost 70+ pounds in just 5 months and while I love the weight loss, the headline is that my diabetes is totally controlled with diet and exercise.

With the surgery would have come group counseling and education. Since I didn't have it, I joined TOPS to replace that component. I wanted to ensure my success by having something substantial -- more than just some anonymous Internet site.

That's been my program: MyFitnessPal, Walking 3+ times a week, and TOPS. All totaled, I've lost 90 lbs and walked about 350 miles.

bj8xSzv.png

Replies