FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Open a discussion on that issue. This is the FAQ thread, will get lost in here, more people will see your question in the main chat thread area.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Should you enable negative calorie adjusments?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Should you enable negative calorie adjusments?

It is a personal choice. If you do, your calories adjust throughout the day and your cal. burn changes throughout the day. Some just synch late in the day and prefer that. If you want to just eat at a certain level, setup MFP to do that and do not use the negative adjustments setting.
  • denorios
    denorios Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Should MFP's 'calories burned' stay the same through the day or change in line with FitBit's 'calories burned'? I can understand why FitBit's estimation varies throughout the day, because it knows how active I am (or am not), but MFP should give me a static figure based on my height, weight, activity level settings and weight loss goals, and then the difference between the two is my calorie adjustment.

But today when I look at the details of my calorie adjustment, every time I look at it the MFP calories burned estimate is higher than the time before, so my calorie adjustment is barely changing. It's currently estimating my daily calorie burn as well over the level it usually estimates as my maintenance level, which surely it can't do if this figure is based on my settings! Is anyone else seeing this? I can't understand where this MFP figure is coming from, and it's messing up my calorie adjustment, so I don't know how much I should eat today!
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My Fitness Pal has picked up my steps from my fitbit zip, however, I wasn't can't work out if I need to manually add the 2 hours of general cleaning. Can anyone help me???
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    @denorios & @MrsJ1210 - you should probably be asking these questions over in the regular discussion section, as the FAQ thread doesn't get as much attention. It's really meant as a reference, not an active thread.

That being said:

@denorios - it looks to me like you might be getting caught up in a current MFP bug that I have seen others talking about (over in the discussion threads). I haven't experienced the problem personally, and I'm not sure MFP has acknowledged they have a bug yet, but it sure looks like one to me.

@MrsJ1210 - I'd probably not manually log the cleaning unless it was particularly strenuous, but with few steps. For typical everyday stuff, I just trust my Fitbit to estimate it correctly.
  • bolleke82
    bolleke82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did all off the steps above to sync my surge (steps) to MFP but I still can not see the steps I took. Its only the steps the other data works. Can someone help me? ( I speak Dutch, so my English is a bit poor sorry for that)
  • NancyN795
    Options
    bolleke82 wrote: »
    Hi, I did all off the steps above to sync my surge (steps) to MFP but I still can not see the steps I took. Its only the steps the other data works. Can someone help me? ( I speak Dutch, so my English is a bit poor sorry for that)

On your MFP phone app, select "Steps" from the menu, and make sure that "Fitbit Tracker" is the selected device.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    denorios wrote: »
    Should MFP's 'calories burned' stay the same through the day or change in line with FitBit's 'calories burned'? I can understand why FitBit's estimation varies throughout the day, because it knows how active I am (or am not), but MFP should give me a static figure based on my height, weight, activity level settings and weight loss goals, and then the difference between the two is my calorie adjustment.

But today when I look at the details of my calorie adjustment, every time I look at it the MFP calories burned estimate is higher than the time before, so my calorie adjustment is barely changing. It's currently estimating my daily calorie burn as well over the level it usually estimates as my maintenance level, which surely it can't do if this figure is based on my settings! Is anyone else seeing this? I can't understand where this MFP figure is coming from, and it's messing up my calorie adjustment, so I don't know how much I should eat today!

Yes, it's definitely a bug. I'm having the same issue. MFP hasn't publicly acknowledged it. But I did get an email from tech support yesterday saying they're aware of it and working on a fix.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    denorios wrote: »

MFP's calories burn is explained in the 2nd half of the FAQ.

The terminology used is somewhat misleading though.

You are correct - should not change.
    So rest of the day is based on the math you suggested.

So my example right now - 2:28 pm
    9:32 hrs left, or 572 min left in day.

MFP calories burned - 2165 (all day projection - static)
    Fitbit calories burned - 2312 (all day projection - dynamic)
    Based on 1452 calories burned (Fitbit stat)
    Fitbit calorie adjustment - 147 (actually MFP adjustment based on Fitbit, misleading again)

Fitbit burned 2312 - 1452 stat based = 860 MFP projection rest of day.
    860 calories / 572 min = 1.503 burn rate.

2165 all day / 1440 min = 1.503 burn rate.

Match.

See if you can figure out what is changing.
    Be aware that MFP doesn't adjust the BMR the math is based on until 10 lbs is lost - or you are in your Diet/Fitness profile and Ok out to update the settings.
    So get your Mifflin BMR from apps - BMR calc.

MFP calories burned / BMR = activity level factor.
    1.25 - Sedentary
    1.4 - Lightly Active
    1.6 - Active
    1.8 - Very Active

I'm curious if you nail a level - or they have you between levels.

Of course if the weight is changing on you, that'll change the BMR and cause between levels - so confirm the weight MFP is using.

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and I love it. I golfed Saturday and walked 11 miles while pulling my clubs. I was given a calorie burn of 814 calories. I am assuming that the calculation is for the steps but not for the actually golfing itself.....correct? I am on maintenance and not looking to lose weight. I do not eat back my exercise calories and I think I may have to start if I am golfing 2 times a week or more. I just do not want to be fooled and gain weight by eating these calories. Would you advice I eat back half or all the allotted calories?
  • NancyN795
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit Flex and I love it. I golfed Saturday and walked 11 miles while pulling my clubs. I was given a calorie burn of 814 calories. I am assuming that the calculation is for the steps but not for the actually golfing itself.....correct? I am on maintenance and not looking to lose weight. I do not eat back my exercise calories and I think I may have to start if I am golfing 2 times a week or more. I just do not want to be fooled and gain weight by eating these calories. Would you advice I eat back half or all the allotted calories?

The calories are for detected activity - mainly steps. Did you pull the clubs using the arm where you wear your Flex? That could affect the number and intensity of steps detected and, as a result, throw off the distance your Flex thinks you walked and your calorie count. It would be better to pull the clubs with your other arm or put your Flex in your pocket while golfing.

If you still don't understand about eating the calories you get from your Fitbit, read the FAQ again. You've trusted MFP's rough estimate of calories based solely on your stats, why not trust the better estimate of your Fitbit based on the activity it detects? Trust it, but test it. Eat back the calories it gives you, within reason, while keeping an eye on your weight over the long term (that is, don't fret over minor fluctuations, but adjust if you see a significant, sustained change). After a month, use the numbers available on your Fitbit profile page to see if it was accurate.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

The calories are for detected activity - mainly steps. Did you pull the clubs using the arm where you wear your Flex? That could affect the number and intensity of steps detected and, as a result, throw off the distance your Flex thinks you walked and your calorie count. It would be better to pull the clubs with your other arm or put your Flex in your pocket while golfing.

If you still don't understand about eating the calories you get from your Fitbit, read the FAQ again. You've trusted MFP's rough estimate of calories based solely on your stats, why not trust the better estimate of your Fitbit based on the activity it detects? Trust it, but test it. Eat back the calories it gives you, within reason, while keeping an eye on your weight over the long term (that is, don't fret over minor fluctuations, but adjust if you see a significant, sustained change). After a month, use the numbers available on your Fitbit profile page to see if it was accurate.

Thank you replying...

I golfed twice this weekend and at the same golf course. I wore the Fitbit on both wrists to see if there was a difference from one day to the other. The first day on my right wrist ( I am right handed) it logged me at exactly 11 miles. On the left wrist (pulling a 15 lb golf bag and cart) it logged me at 10.31 miles. I also have a tracker on my phone that agrees with the number of steps and miles walked. Are you concerned that I am not walking the distance I claim? I average 130 miles a month walking. I guess next week I could put the tracker in a pocket and see what that tracks. Hmmm.

I have never trusted MFP estimate of calories burned to reach my goals or maintain my weight. I have never eaten back my exercise calories. I figure I was better safe than sorry by not over estimating calorie burns. Not eating back those calories also allows me to enjoy birthdays and holidays with no weight gain.

I guess I will wing it from here.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Thank you replying...

I golfed twice this weekend and at the same golf course. I wore the Fitbit on both wrists to see if there was a difference from one day to the other. The first day on my right wrist ( I am right handed) it logged me at exactly 11 miles. On the left wrist (pulling a 15 lb golf bag and cart) it logged me at 10.31 miles. I also have a tracker on my phone that agrees with the number of steps and miles walked. Are you concerned that I am not walking the distance I claim? I average 130 miles a month walking. I guess next week I could put the tracker in a pocket and see what that tracks. Hmmm.

I have never trusted MFP estimate of calories burned to reach my goals or maintain my weight. I have never eaten back my exercise calories. I figure I was better safe than sorry by not over estimating calorie burns. Not eating back those calories also allows me to enjoy birthdays and holidays with no weight gain.

I guess I will wing it from here.

No, I'm not doubting the distance you claim, just noting that your Fitbit is sensitive to the intensity of your steps as well as the number, and pulling something like a golf bag might throw it off. But, I don't know because I've never pulled a golf bag around a golf course and it sounds like you do a lot of it, so inaccuracies could be significant. So, testing it and/or comparing to other things is warranted. But, it seems like you've done that (with your phone and by wearing on the opposite wrist).

As far as eating back your exercise calories - you do what works for you. If I limited myself to the calories allotted to me by MFP based solely on my non-exercise activity level, I'd have quit years ago, because I can't function when I'm that hungry. By exercising, and eating the calories that earns me, I have lost slowly, but steadily, for 3 years now.
  • kcdambuster
    kcdambuster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have used MFP on and off for a couple of years with varying degrees of commitment. I have been very happy with the program taking into account my accuracy of input. It is FREE too.

I was given a Fitbit Charge HR early in January and have been using it since, synced to MFP. I am very pleased with the Fitbit, although I have to take into account that my exercise sessions are mainly rowing machine and exercise bike due to joint problems. I therefore do not rely too heavily on step measurements. The sleep log is an "interesting" feature. Floors can be a bit erratic too. Calories in v calories out is my main interest.

I input all food via MFP and rely on Fitbit to track exercise with my input too.

However due to "bugs" in syncing, I now find that the calorie reports in MFP are inaccurate and therefore not very useful. I rely on Fitbit for graphs and trends etc.

I find it very frustrating that the MFP reports are skewed and have wasted enough time trying to adjust and correct the differences.

At the end of the day, between the two programs, I have lost half a stone in the last month. So I am highly motivated to keep logging and losing.

Just my observations, for what they are worth!

• space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    my UA calories burned in MFP is completely off from what my fitbit app shows. Yesterday for example it says my estimated brun from UA was like 3200 but in fitbit my end of day was 2500. I had about 250 cals of nonstep activity logged in mfp, but even that wouldn't make up for the difference. It's been like that at least the last few days too. By the time I sync the morning after shouldn't those #s match?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since this FAQ in the stickies isn't viewed by all - I'd suggest finding or starting a topic in the main group topics that most will see and could comment on.

You might include the actual terms used so anyone is on the same page.

Because MFP saying your estimated burn from UA is one thing, and your Fitbit burn is something else - doesn't sound wrong.
    UA isn't Fitbit, right, so unless Fitbit is syncing with UA, why would they match?

So when you start that topic - confirm if you sync Fitbit to UA or MFP, or both for some reason, and then UA to MFP also, which indeed should get confusing.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ok thanks. I will do that.
  • bicbic86
    bicbic86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using Fitbit for several years but this is my first time syncing it with MFP. So of course 4 hours in I'm already confused... So i took a strength training class and yoga class and burned 600 calories per my HRM. I manually put that into MFP. Now, ive also walked about 7,000 steps as of mid-day, and yet MFP has taken away many of my earlier workout calories and has me at a negative for steps? I'm assuming that's because my earlier activities although big calorie torchers did not take up many steps. Those 7,000 steps were in addition to my workout in which i did not step much at all. So, basically i've worked out AND walked about 3 miles and it has me as burning about 530 cals total in exercise. Anyone else have this problem?
  • NancyN795
    Options
    @bicbic86: Your Fitbit adjustment is not the same as the calories you have burned exercising.

However, it seems likely that you've been caught up in a recent MFP bug. You need to check to make sure MFP is using your Fitbit as its step source. You can do it under Steps in the phone app or on the website, go to Apps->Steps and make sure it is set to "Fitbit Tracker" as the source. If it isn't, then MFP will mess up how many calories it expects you to burn when it does the calculation for your Fitbit Adjustment, which ends up giving you a smaller adjustment than you've earned. (MFP should have automatically set your step source to "Fitbit Tracker" when you linked your accounts, but it is spontaneously changing this setting on people who have had it correct for ages, so I wouldn't trust it to do it right. Check it.)

Second - make sure you read the FAQ that is at the top of this thread. In it, you'll see the recommendation to log exercise in Fitbit's site or app, not MFP. It won't make too much of a difference when you use an HRM to determine your calorie burn, but for exercise where you're asking Fitbit or MFP to estimate your calories, Fitbit is thought to have the superior method of doing that.