Panniers - any recommendations?

Options
ruthbardell
ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
I have just bought a new bike for commuting, but don't think I can face carrying a rucksack stuffed full of everything I need for a day at work.

My commute is about 15 miles each way. I will need to carry work clothes, occasionally some shoes, my lunch, sometimes some different clothes for running or rowing in the middle of the commute home......

Anybody got any recommendations?

Replies

• cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    For carrying lots of stuff, I have the Bontrager BackRack Deluxe, Bontrager City Double Throw Pannier and a Bontrager Interchange Deluxe rear trunk bag. These items carry lots of gear and keep it clean and dry.

xcpbqj0880i6.png
    3cqkqi5a4d5c.png
    k9pv9gh0u4by.png
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I have just bought a new bike for commuting, but don't think I can face carrying a rucksack stuffed full of everything I need for a day at work.

My commute is about 15 miles each way. I will need to carry work clothes, occasionally some shoes, my lunch, sometimes some different clothes for running or rowing in the middle of the commute home......

For pretty near the ultimate in tough and waterproof, you'll not go far wrong with the Ortleib stuff - their "roll-top" panniers are pretty damned brilliant, but all the stuff really majors on being waterproof and rugged (albeit bloody expensive on initial purchase.) - https://www.ortlieb.com/en/produkte/radtasche/ - german engineering with no lies about the emissions ;)

Racks - well - lets put it this way, if I was going around the world, there's only one company I'd buy my racks from - Tubus. For a starter, look at the Logo Classic - http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=2

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

For pretty near the ultimate in tough and waterproof, you'll not go far wrong with the Ortleib stuff - their "roll-top" panniers are pretty damned brilliant, but all the stuff really majors on being waterproof and rugged (albeit bloody expensive on initial purchase.) - https://www.ortlieb.com/en/produkte/radtasche/ - german engineering with no lies about the emissions ;)

Racks - well - lets put it this way, if I was going around the world, there's only one company I'd buy my racks from - Tubus. For a starter, look at the Logo Classic - http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=2

I'll second the Ortlieb rec...have >10,000 miles (really don't know the exact amount) worth of riding on mine, commuting, running errands, etc. and they're fantastic. I've had them out in torrential rains and no leaks, stuffed them full of groceries, including a 6 pack of tall boys no worries. If you're an REI member and can find them on sale you can use the dividend to make it not so pricey. Alternatively, Banjo Brothers make a great bag, here's the waterproof one: http://banjobrothers.com/products/current/panniers/waterproof-pannier/ But it does wear faster and once the inner liner gets cracked/worn you'll get leaks. I've commuted with both and had not issues getting change of clothes, lunch, essentials (wallet, phone, etc) in them with room to spare. I have a Blackburn rack that I have no complaints about, also have used Planet Bike models with good results. Granted, Tubus is kind of the gold standard though.

Good luck!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    I have the Ortlieb panniers. Never had a problem with water getting in, but I have had them come off a couple of times. If you get the Ortlieb panniers, make sure they latch. They are no worse for wear. You can't even tell where they hit the road and nothing inside was damaged.
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. One more question, does it feel unbalanced if you have only 1 full pannier on - I am concerned I may end up going round in circles ;)
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. One more question, does it feel unbalanced if you have only 1 full pannier on - I am concerned I may end up going round in circles ;)

You won't go in circles but you'll feel off. If I'm carrying more than just a couple of things (clothes, lunch) I'll use a second to even things out. Even if it is unbalanced you'll get used to it.
  • cccorlew
    cccorlew Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ortlieb if you can. They aren't cheap, but they are wonderful. Having only one doesn't throw me off at all. Think about how close it is to your wheel. It doesn't stick out far enough to change your ride.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    The rack I bought lets me put one on the top of the rack if I only have one. When I'm coming to work I just split my stuff. Neither is full but it's more balanced that way. Make sure to move them as forward as possible. When you really load them down if they are too far back, it will make your front time feel light when going up steep hills.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Make sure to move them as forward as possible. When you really load them down if they are too far back, it will make your front time feel light when going up steep hills.

Definitely - as far forward as you can get without your heels rubbing them was what I was always told - which, having fairly large plates, meant not all that far back at all on my "fast tourer" (it was more of an audax weapon really - 73parallel 58cm square and bare mudguard clearance over 23c's... Of course the old Dawes SuperGalaxy was a bit more amenable with panniers (and also had front-fork lowrider rack bosses added on, which meant for full-on touring/cyclecamping trips I could split the weight and put some on the front to avoid the inevitable wheelies every time I went into the granny gears....)
  • RidingPastor
    RidingPastor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started with some Louis Garneau from Performance Bike about $80 for two they have lasted for 3-4 years and still work. I have since moved up to Ortlieb Hi viz for the visibility and for the waterproofness. I found them on sale during Christmas time.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have the Bontrager Rack above, my bags are Axiom Typhoon Aero DLX 45 Panniers. they can hold a ton of stuff and are weather/waterproof when closed properly (no dropping in the lake but I've ridden in bad weather to no ill affect on the contents. Big enough i actually manage to do most of my weekly marketing with them (things like big boxes of cat litter or 36kg bags of dog food are exceptions) . they will hold my loaded camera bag if i don't want to ride with it over my back.
    If I wore a suit i would have looked for a separate bag for the work commute (Two Wheel Gear makes an amazing one http://www.twowheelgear.com/products/commuter-garment-pannier)