Calorie levels - what to go by?

Options
TheCakeDiva
TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
I've added the net carb macro to my MFP to help me stay under a certain amount, and I've used the Keto calculator to adjust the fat/protien/carb levels at MFP as well.

But I'm confused about the different calorie levels.

When I first entered all my info at MFP, it gave me a 1310 calorie limit. But over at the Keto calculator it tells me 1590 kCal (is that the same as calories??) - so which do I go by? Will the higher calories keep me from losing? Or are the higher calories listed because I'm following a lower carb/higher fat type way of eating?

Thank!

Replies

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't sweat it too much. If you want to track calories (some don't) I'd go with the keto calculator with the option to lower a bit if you find the weight isn't moving. IMO, if you can lose weight at a higher number of calories, its probably better for your metabolism...but I have no basis in science for that one except that those times when I've lowered calories too long for a long period of time (high stress, didn't eat) I ended up plateaued for a month when I went back to my normal level of 1420.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Keto Calculator. The MFP one is based on Calories In Calories Out. I have been following the Keto Calculator and have beaten the 'in 5 weeks you would be' weight that MFP gives me by two months. :-)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I go by the Keto calculator but I'm still surprised that the numbers are so off...
    Did you enter the same activity level and desired weekly loss rate? Not that it means that's what you'll lose of course, but it's used in the calculation.
    Keto calculator did give me more calories too though. But only by about 100, actually less I think.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think I used MFP's calories. I think it was a bit low because I was losing faster than expected but it could just be a fluke (or the magic of LCHF ;)).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Make sure your activity levels are set to the same. If you tell MFP that you're sedentary, but you tell the Keto calculator that you're lightly active, the number will be different. Also, the Keto calculator lets you set your deficit. If you're using the .5lb/week, then you want KC to use a 250 calorie deficit. If you're using the 1lb/week setting, then you want a 500 calorie deficit.

I usually just use sedentary and a 500 calorie deficit, and let MFP increase the calories as needed, though I have more calories to toy with.

That said, it doesn't much matter which one you start with. You'll likely be adjusting in a month or so, anyway. Just pick one, try it for a month, and see where you're at. Remember, a good weight loss speed it .5-1lb per week, so don't freak out if you didn't lose something like 10 pounds in the month. As long as you lose somewhere around 4 pounds in a month, you're doing well.
  • TheCakeDiva
    TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I go by the Keto calculator but I'm still surprised that the numbers are so off...
    Did you enter the same activity level and desired weekly loss rate? Not that it means that's what you'll lose of course, but it's used in the calculation.
    Keto calculator did give me more calories too though. But only by about 100, actually less I think.

Yes - I've used the same info on both sites. That's why I assumed Kcal and calories were two different things!

I've decided to split the middle for now and see where that takes me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Yes - I've used the same info on both sites. That's why I assumed Kcal and calories were two different things!

I've decided to split the middle for now and see where that takes me.

Good plan! It's something you'll always be tinkering with anyway.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MFP is extremely un-generous if you ask me! It gives me 1200, no way would I eat that low (4'11" female). My very minimum is 1700 on a day where I'm not too hungry.

I lost a lot of weight under another username last year, from 115kg (256ish pounds??) to 74.6kg and only ate that low at the start. I went back up to 87kg over a few months because of life, am now 14 weeks pregnant and now that I'm out of the morning sickness phase I'm back to weight loss. 83.9kg today and just eating as much keto foods as I like (baby is healthy and measuring bang on for dates). I gotta lose a bit more weight to help with a VBAC and hopefully avoid/manage gestational diabetes.

Rambling aside, I'd always eat MORE and go from there. Track your stats for a good 6 weeks.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    IIRC the keto calculator put me a little higher than MFP, too, but not by much.
    I did lose faster than either predicted based on the size of my deficit, though that's slowed down this month. (I lost about 7-8 lbs each in Nov and Dec and have lost close to 4 in January, which is still good, as @Dragonwolf pointed out.)

I'm definitely losing faster than I have at this calorie level with different macros, too. With a higher carb level, I have trouble losing even at 1200 calories; I've been at 1350 for most of my keto time. I go a bit over some days and under other days depending on hunger level but it averages out. (I'm a 5'7" female but I have PCOS which can lead to a slower metabolism.)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    In the end I just go with after facts eating results shown by my scales when I weigh daily. As others noted the calculators are reference points only and what each user may need to eat. Yes they are helpful to find a starting point and the scales will tell us where we need to eat more or less. My Health O Meter scales gives me a calorie goal that is quite high. For some reason it seems like I stay stuffed eating LCHF unlike when I was really into sugars and grains.

Welcome to MFP forums and best of success.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I reset my calories a few days ago as a test ... MFP gave me 1300, and I could not stick to that! the Keto Calculator gives me 1575 or so, more to my liking :) I have turned on the negative adjustments with my fitbit, so will get warnings when tempted to overconsume. I should be able to stick with it now.
  • tammac52
    tammac52 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Camtosh how do you adjust your Fitbit with calories? I'm still trying to figure out my Fitbit