App giving extra calories for exercise??

Options
hh353
hh353 Posts: 37 Member
I've only used this app one other time- last night I noticed after going to the gym - it said you can eat 600 calories more!! I was shocked!! There is no way I would add 600 more calories?? Does anyone do this? If so do you still loose weight? The whole concept of weight lose is eat less - do more?!

Replies

• mel7482
    mel7482 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry after a workout (like stomach-grumbling hungry) and have extra calories, I will use them because my daily calorie goal alone is enough to lose weight. If I'm not hungry though, why eat?
  • hh353
    Options
    If my daily calorie goal is 1200 - I thought adding an extra 600 was crazy!! And really how accurate is an app at knowing exactly how many calories you burned? Btw- I always have a small protein shake after a workout it helps w/ hunger. 100 calories
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree I get the same. I will not eat the extra Calories. However it's good to know I can go over a little if I'm really starving. Like you said a 100 calorie fix. The exercise is a must for me because it keeps me energized and it does let you have that glass of wine once in a while without gaining weight
  • linneamccain
    linneamccain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat the extra calories, but I'm training for a marathon so on my long run days where I run for 4 hours, I usually eat about 500 calories more. Otherwise, I try to stick to my regular calories.
  • hh353
    Options
    I'm down 3 lbs this week - and I didn't eat the extra calories. I guess I could've had some - and lost 2lbs? Idk? Everyone is different ?! I may add 100-200 on workout nights
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    hh353 wrote: »
    I've only used this app one other time- last night I noticed after going to the gym - it said you can eat 600 calories more!! I was shocked!! There is no way I would add 600 more calories?? Does anyone do this? If so do you still loose weight? The whole concept of weight lose is eat less - do more?!

I totally agree.. When I was using this app in the past there are time where it wanted me to eat another 600-800 calories. That is insane. From what I read some people say they eat back like 25-75% of the calories back. I do not typically eat back the calories. Like you I will drink a protein shake. But even that is forced. I am trying to incorporate healthy habits.. Boy is it hard.
  • AshetteKetchum
    AshetteKetchum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My max calories for the day is 1800 but I find I rarely ever max out, so I will have a snack after my work out, but I generally try not to eat them back!
  • megjay18
    megjay18 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i try to stay under my allotted calories and very rarely dip into my exercise calories. i know you CAN eat them back, but i only do it if i'm really hungry.
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will eat up to 1/2 of my exercise calories back because MFP/machines tend to overestimate calorie burn and people tend to underestimate caloric intake. This seems to be the general rule. So if it says you burned 600 in a work out, eat back up to ~300.
  • sb4horses
    sb4horses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, first time on here. I am trying to lose at most 5 lbs. I am interested in the 100 calorie shake. What is it? I am Celiac and after a trip to Nepal I am have lymphocytic colitis, so dairy is off the table for now. What protein is best to use in shakes, and is there a site with quick, easy recipes for shakes? Thank you.
  • lisette143
    lisette143 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe if your in maintenance mode you can eat back the calories, not if you are trying to lose. I never eat the extra calories allotted from exercise.
  • manuka99
    manuka99 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Somewhere I was advised to not log workouts, in which case you don't have to worry about eating workout calories back. But for myself at least, I confess I often eat more than my daily goal although is rather not
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine back and have lost a pound a week since June, which is what I've been aiming for