*New* anyone over 300lbs?

Options
Hi. I was just wondering if there is anyone over 300lbs in the group doing this? I'm 5'6, 320lbs. Thinking of giving the 5:2 a try.

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    We had a couple of people in that category and I have another mfp friend who lost more than 100 lb with 5:2. Your starting weight isn't an issue for 5:2. In the end it's 95% mindset as everything else. Have a great start!
  • ravensdiet15
    ravensdiet15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was just wondering if there is anyone over 300lbs in the group doing this? I'm 5'6, 320lbs. Thinking of giving the 5:2 a try.

I am hoping you give it a try and let us know how you're doing! It's two days per week and loads of info on-line with suggestions of low calorie foods to enjoy on those days. Weighing & logging food is key and a huge eye opener! Drink tons of water and keep in touch, I'd like to know how you're doing :)
  • ravensdiet15
    Options
    Thanks. I've done F1 already F2 will be sunday. I'm reading the 5:2 diet for beginners also.
  • ravensdiet15
    Options
    Would love to have someone to talk with on a daily basis. All my friends on MFP think the 5:2 is a bad idea so I don't tell anyone I'm doing it. And then don't have any support with it either.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I understand the lack of support. My husband totally supports me, but intermittent fasting evokes so many ideas, most of them wrong. People just hear the word fasting and jump to all sorts of conclusions. You'll find this is a pretty active group. Hope you get the support you need here!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Would love to have someone to talk with on a daily basis. All my friends on MFP think the 5:2 is a bad idea so I don't tell anyone I'm doing it. And then don't have any support with it either.

Hmmm, you touched on something, and that is, 'so you won't tell anyone you're doing it' .... Perhaps that will work to your advantage!! It could be your secret - except for us on this forum ;) what works for others may not work for you and vice versa. For me, I didn't even tell any family members and I started 5:2 during thanksgiving weekend! (The Canadian one in Oct!). No one knew! Not my husband or kids. No one noticed what wasn't on my plate! It wasn't until 2 weeks & 4-5 fasts later that I told my husband and by then I knew it worked for ME! For me, being quietly sneaky about it helped. I think it's great you're reading a lot about it, that will get you thinking of your choices when grocery shopping! I learned that 2 dried prunes are 40 calories and they are chewy & sweet which I love and they replace ju jubes which I used to polish off an entire bags before, but don't now. My husband fully supports me now that's he's clued into what I'm doing haha, he's not accepting this way of eating for himself now, but he has commented that a lighter meal would be a good idea on certain days....all in good time. He has been very supportive of my walking for exercise and he even has started biking again and also purchased a weight bench thingy that I have learned to use! Most of all, I get support from myself, it's my waistline after all!! I'm sure you'll find support in lots of us here..... Tell us what you're having for meals and what exercise you've done... Someone here always seems to have very supportive comments!!! Don't give up! :* Do this for you!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Totally agree on what @mamainthekitchen said. I didn't keep it secret for very long and have quite a few family members and friends, who have joined me on 5:2. Find out if it is for you, then you can share it with more selfconfidence.

Also one of my favorite 'arguements' for 5:2, when someone tells me fasting or light days are unhealthy......I ask them, if they think cave men had regular meals 3 times a day everday. Seeing as our digestive system has not really evolved since then, cal cycling seems pretty natural for the human body. But with calorie dense food around all day every day, we have gotten out of the habit of low cal days. That usually convinces them to stop 'teaching' me the ropes of healthy eating habits. They may not approve, but they usually accept, that it is right for me. Plus I lost almost 30kg and am in the normal weight category for the first time in my life thanks to 5:2. If that doesn't get them, nothing will. I leave them with their opinion and say mine is different. 5:2 is just a tool, not a religion and that is how I treat it and 'sell' it.
  • ravensdiet15
    Options
    Thanks all.
    Well for now, i think I'm too big yet to do a 500 cal fast day. I get really shaky, light headed & get headaches so I'm going to try 800 cal fast days & 1500 cal normal days. Today will be my 1st test of the 800 cals.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    @ravensdiet15 remember to drink lots of water(helps fight headaches)! Broth type soups maybe 6oz more frequently may help you..? Apples, pineapple, Greek yogurt for snacks..... GOOD LUCK! Oh, and go to bed early!! ;)
  • ravensdiet15
    Options
    Ok thanks.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    I agree with Mamainthekitchen. Your solution with 800cals might be right for you. However getting the shakes often has to do with drinking lots of water and a low salt intake on a fast day. A broth can really help. If you are skipping coffee on a fast day, but normally drink it, that can also cause the shakes and headaches. Sometimes it's also a bit of a withdrawal from the simple carbs (sugar / white flower). Just play around a bit until you found your version of 5:2. That's the beauty of it. Do what makes you feel good!
  • ravensdiet15
    Options
    Thanks!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Oh...and I get the shakes around 2pm, if I completely skip breakfast and dinner. Thus I divide my cals. About 150 for lunch and 350 for dinner. Works well for me.

Tomorrow for example
    80g scallops, 280g bell pepper heated in broth for lunch (150cal)
    Veggie-chicken chili for dinner (175cal)
    Jogurt with blueberries and chia seeds for dessert. (175cal)

That is a pretty typical fast day menu for me.
  • ravensdiet15
    Options
    Today I've had yogurt & chia seeds ×2, green beans & will have some progesso lite soup and then see where I'm at/how I'm feeling. Thanks for the menu ideas!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The broth suggestion works for me as well. I enjoy miso mixed in with hot water when I feel the need. I eat way more than 1500 calories on non-fast days . . . I try to stick with minimally-processed vegetarian whole foods and I do a short (10 minutes) strength or aerobic exercise session 5 days a week. As has been stated above, modify (within reason) until it works for you, and best of luck!
  • mfarmour77
    mfarmour77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @ravensdiet15 How did the 800 calories work for you??
  • ravensdiet15
    Options
    I did close to 800 on wednesday & close to 650 today, not sure of exacts cuz I made my diary say 1001 cals so I could close out the day. I think my sweet spot is around 700 cals on fd. I'll keep at it & see how it goes. Thanks for asking. :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    Great job!!