Grass Fed vs Conventional meat???

Options
2»

Replies

• vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Look at this list of sources for omega-6 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-6_fatty_acid ). See a trend? It's primarily plant oils, grains, and nuts. All of which are sub-optimal and generally shunned in preference to animal based fats.

Interestingly beef and pork are not included in that list, whereas poultry, egg and avacado are. So beef and pork are better in terms of omega 6
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OK, let's clear up some misconception. No beef is entirely grain fed.

Their reaction to the feed is to get fat, which is similar to our rating.

Interesting that animals are fed grain to get fat. And still we don't get this point that grain can make human fat too

I forget what movie I saw this in, might have been "Fat Head" or "The Perfect Human Diet" but someone once went and got information about the nutrition program used to fatten up animals and found that it was nearly a perfect match for a "healthy diet" according to the government. :lol:

It's like if you go to the mayo clinic's website (could have been the AHA... I can't find it on mayo's site anymore) and read their information on high triglycerides. They point out that one cause is a diet high in carbs (60% carbs). Then, two paragraphs later, they are talking about what to do if you want to lower your triglycerides. They tell you to eat a "heart healthy diet", which they link to (but don't define there). If you follow the link, you get some sample meal plans and such. Run the numbers on those plans (I did) and you find they have a macronutrient breakdown of 60% carbs! So, 60% carbs causes AND is the cure for high trigs. :astonished:
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    its a pity that most people who dont have time to dig literature, follow these guidelines set by govt which is heavily influenced by commercial interests
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OK, let's clear up some misconception. No beef is entirely grain fed.

Their reaction to the feed is to get fat, which is similar to our rating.

Interesting that animals are fed grain to get fat. And still we don't get this point that grain can make human fat too

I forget what movie I saw this in, might have been "Fat Head" or "The Perfect Human Diet" but someone once went and got information about the nutrition program used to fatten up animals and found that it was nearly a perfect match for a "healthy diet" according to the government. :lol:

It's like if you go to the mayo clinic's website (could have been the AHA... I can't find it on mayo's site anymore) and read their information on high triglycerides. They point out that one cause is a diet high in carbs (60% carbs). Then, two paragraphs later, they are talking about what to do if you want to lower your triglycerides. They tell you to eat a "heart healthy diet", which they link to (but don't define there). If you follow the link, you get some sample meal plans and such. Run the numbers on those plans (I did) and you find they have a macronutrient breakdown of 60% carbs! So, 60% carbs causes AND is the cure for high trigs. :astonished:

Pretty sure it's the Perfect Human Diet. I recall him interviewing the farmers association and recommendation committee for that.

And the carb ratio reminds me of the fiber thing -- cause and cure! It's a miracle!

OP -- there are a number of reasons to choose (or not) grass fed/pastured meat. Weight loss isn't one of them. It really doesn't matter on that front.

Some do claim/believe that it's healthier to eat pastured. That's rather debated of cattle, though probably holds more water for pork and chicken, since they are omnivores and the feedlot system deviates more from their natural diet and life than it does for beef (they're farther up the food chain and are subject to similar issues with toxin bio-accumulation that occur with fish as you move up the chain).

I'm personally a fan of buying from small, local farmers for a variety of reasons (many of which @Kitnthecat already mentioned), but if you can only afford conventional meat from the grocery store, then that's okay. Start with that and if you want to make changes, start with the higher risk things -- eggs, chicken, and pork -- then go to the beef if you so choose, as you can fit them into your budget.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    The difference in the pork is utterly amazing. Rich and fatty, so tasty, darker in colour than conventional pork. Best of all, the animals are not squished together in a barn with not enough room to move around, sitting in their own *kitten*. They are frolicking in the woods, foraging, and are fed organic hemp husks and other yummy things. Plus I get sausages made with no fillers. Yum.
  • vikashsinha
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    The difference in the pork is utterly amazing. Rich and fatty, so tasty, darker in colour than conventional pork. Best of all, the animals are not squished together in a barn with not enough room to move around, sitting in their own *kitten*. They are frolicking in the woods, foraging, and are fed organic hemp husks and other yummy things. Plus I get sausages made with no fillers. Yum.

what do you look for when you buy pork in farmers market?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    @vikashsinha , I buy my pork directly from my farmers, half of a large heritage pig per year, in 4 deliveries per year, which gives me and my two daughters enough pork for a whole year.

But if I had to look for an alternate source of pork, I would choose heritage pork, look for Berkshire or Mulefoot breeds. There may be other breeds as well, I am not sure. Our pigs have black skin. I favour organic farming methods, where the animals have not been mistreated or fed chemicals of any kind. For instance, my farmers feed their pigs organic grains that haven't been exposed to pesticides, and use no chemicals on their land. Our pigs forage in the forest and have family structure. They live outside all year round, no barns, even though we live in Manitoba Canada. They have a thick layer of fat to keep them warm. I like that they have a good quality of life. This might not be important to others.

But what is really great about this meat is that it is fattier and juicier than conventional white-looking pork. So if I had to buy from a farmer's market, I would look for organic heritage pork. You might start there, and if possible, ask the farmers more questions. This pork is more expensive than regular pork, but it tastes twice as good.