On the go breakfasts

Options
I typically drink a smoothie every morning, but I think it's too much sugar and want to decrease that. Any recipes for a really good lower-carb green smoothie? I'm also looking for some other on-the-go options that are easy to make ahead but also eggless. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf muffins? Sauteed chopped veggies in oil, mix with ground meat, bake in muffin cups. Freeze. Reheat one or two to take with you.

All kinds of veggies work well.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    What do you typically have in your smoothies? I like to use frozen strawberries, spinach and unsweetened almond milk. It's not too sweet and it's a good way to get a huge hit of leafy greens first thing in the morning.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    They might be expensive, but I've seen "Paleo Wraps" made completely of coconut. You can make your own breakfast burrito with one of those, meat and veggies. Never tried them, myself, but I expect they would taste nice with or without eggs.
  • lupie777
    lupie777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have used the coconut paleo wraps before. They are made by Julian Bakery, and they come in coconut and turmeric flavor. Both are really good. You need to pop them in the microwave for like 20-30 seconds to make them pliable. I put turkey sausage or bacon in them. They were very good.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    no eggs? bummer, I love my hard boiled eggs as a to go snack
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    U could make coconut flour pancakes mixed in with protein powder. Just ask if u want the recipe. Great for on the go
  • lavender624flood
    lavender624flood Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf muffins? Sauteed chopped veggies in oil, mix with ground meat, bake in muffin cups. Freeze. Reheat one or two to take with you.

All kinds of veggies work well.

That is brilliant! Brilliant! So simple. So filling. So portable.

^.^
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    smoked salmon wrapped in a leaf (spinach, lettuce, kale, etc.)
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    spinach/avacado/coconut milk smoothie
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'd look for stuff you can make the night before and just take with you as you go out the door. I feel like pancakes are too much work for real on-the-go. I'm having a similar dilemma and that's the best solution I can find. But I am lazy AF so I typically just put some nuts in a ziplock baggie and take an apple too.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I stock up on packs of wild caught smoked salmon and some nuts/avocado or fruit to go with it. I sleep in as much as I can before work so i just keep those in the fridge ready to grab in the morning when I leave.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The Nom Nom Paleo recipe for spinach-prosciutto "muffins" is easy to make. We keep them on hand for quick, no carb breakfasts or snacks.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Paleomom's 50/50/50 burger recipe made into meatballs, with some olives on the side work for me. If I don't have the beef heart, I just make them with ground beef and liver.

I'll cook one day and portion out meats for the next few weeks, freezing what won't be used in the next couple days. It's easy to grab a bag and go, I usually have it in bite-size pieces so I don't have to bring a knife to work. For instance, I'll make a beef roast, some chicken thighs, and maybe make some meatballs and/or Canadian bacon jerky. Everything cooks at the same temperature. As they finish cooking, I cut them to size, weigh and bag them (I also use Pyrex refridgerator cintainers for meals and snacks at home). For longer storage in the freezer I vacuum pack several of the baggies, usually 5-7 so I can thaw out 1/2 a weeks worth at a time.

I travel for work, and I'll make my own "tv dinners" with meats, fats, and veggies. I freeze them, and pack them along for meals. Any meal for any time. I have an autoimmune disease, and when it flares I end up on bed rest for several days. The stock-pile of frozen meals are my go-to during these times.