Fitbit Calorie Adjustment wrong

Options

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »
    I just posted in the general weight loss section I'm having the same issue-keeps giving me extra calories then taking them away even though I've been active. I went to bed last night with a surplus of over 300 calories and woke up in the red.

That being said my tdee for Fitbit is way higher then what it's syncing to MFP. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Anyone know when this will be fixed? I just got my Fitbit this week so it's all new to me.

It must be really frustrating to be a new Fitbit user and have a MFP/Fitbit interface problem interfere with learning how to use the two things together. Hang in there, it'll be fixed.

I've been on MFP for almost 3 years and have had a Fitbit for a little over 2 years. In that time, I've been affected by such problems just a few times and have seen problems crop up that affected others but not me quite a few more times (such as now - I haven't had any problems so far). Who is affected and who isn't generally seems pretty random. For me, it has worked the vast majority of the time - allowing me to become quite dependent on the whole setup.

Anyway, they'll probably sort it out within a few days and there's not much to be done about it in the meantime. Those affected just have to wait and find workarounds.
  • louisegbarry
    louisegbarry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not working for me for the last 4 days (since Thursday) - very frustrating, but i'm working on the assumption of avg. 250 additional cals for my steps!! would prefer it to work properly, have just sent email to support....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is take your daily burn on Fitbit so far and subtract your desired deficit - that gives a figure of eating level at that point.

And for those devices with a calorie burn on the display - even easier - no website usage - just look and subtract from device read stat.

@cbkm2k12 - I doubt that would be it - why take a step count that has no calorie value associated to them and then attempt to guess how active those steps might have been (shuffling in grocery store or running) to assign a calorie value?
    Why do that when Fitbit already does that live and sends out a daily burn figure to whoever they are synced with.
  • cbkm2k12
    cbkm2k12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    @cbkm2k12 - I doubt that would be it - why take a step count that has no calorie value associated to them and then attempt to guess how active those steps might have been (shuffling in grocery store or running) to assign a calorie value?
    Why do that when Fitbit already does that live and sends out a daily burn figure to whoever they are synced with.

Maybe to add some value to steps for "steps only" trackers and it's then interacting badly with the Fitbit integration - no idea. Just guessing! :smile:
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to have multiple adjustments at the end of the day? I have three for yesterday, and have only had one adjustment prior.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    @Jonna13 - no, you should only have one Fitbit adjustment, no matter what time of day. Try to figure out which one is right and delete the others. This is an ongoing bug they're dealing with. I hope they sort it soon because it is driving the people who are affected crazy.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Jonna13 wrote: »
    Is it normal to have multiple adjustments at the end of the day? I have three for yesterday, and have only had one adjustment prior.

It looks like yesterday was fixed somehow. I also had three adjustments that appeared at the end of the day. I knew which was correct by looking at my Fitbit burn for the day and deleted the others, and my goal + adjustment for yesterday is now right. Hopefully, that continues today.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    So far, mine has been accurate yesterday and today.

But the bugs have been going on for weeks. So I hope I didn't just jinx it by posting this.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mine is still buggy. Up and down. Up and down...
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Something weird is going on with me too. I have my MFP on light activity level, so most days I get more calories burned on fitbit. I have a deficit of 1000 calories on both MFP and fitbit. It's almost midnight here and MFP tells me I have 214 calories left to eat. But my fitbit app tells me I can eat 510 calories based on a burn of about 2600 calories during the day. So MFP wants me to have a deficit of 1300 calories it seems.
  • zinatara
    Options
    I know I can just eat what my fitbit tells me, but I don't like it when the MFP app tells me in red numbers that I've eaten too much.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Mine hasn't been fluctuating as much but I do think the adjustments are more conservative than I would normally get for this step count at this point in the day. Looking at the math behind the adjustments, it doesn't seem like what MFP is estimating my calorie burn to be is accurate - but also inconsistent. My MFP maintenance number is normally 1880 at lightly active, and the full day projections MFP is showing is anywhere from 1750-2150. So my adjustments are off, but some days too low (like today) and some days like Saturday they were too high by about 100.

Frustrating. Has anyone gotten any official responses as to when this will be fixed?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I've just been told that I can eat only 972 calories today due to a negative Fitbit adjustment. Earlier, I was given over 1200. What gives?
  • resortcube
    resortcube Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Getting the same adjustment erratic fluctuations. Cannot seem see a pattern to why/when it happens....
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been using a Fitbit for almost two years and synching it with MFP all that time. There have been minor hiccups in the past, but the past few days have been totally messed up. I have resorted to disconnecting my Fitbit from MFP and entering exercise manually on the MFP side of things. (It's more work, but it's less frustrating than obsessing about the synch!) Here's hoping they get this fixed soon.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Problems here too. Should have had almost 300 calories added and it went down to 5 added at midnight. I hate seeing the red numbers, this is very frustrating.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I emailed support about it.

The MFP burn for me has been bouncing around between 1900 and 2500 at every sync, when it should be a static 1770; it's as if a bored someone is amusing themselves by changing my activity level settings in MFP over and over, all day long.

My calorie adjustments are therefore totally wrong - much lower than they should be.

This is the 2nd day I've been experiencing this problem. Getting double credit for adjustments has been happening for a good bit longer. (I've just been deleting the duplicates)

Where do you go to delete duplicates? I've had to delete food duplicates on occasion, but not burns. Is it just for exercise, or does it show a duplicate of the entire adjustment?

Click on the 'Add Exercise' tab from your home page. (Right next to the 'Add Food' tab.) It will show your exercise burns that were transferred from your fitbit. Duplicate entries can be deleted the same way you delete food items.

Thanks for that. I kept looking on fitbit for a fix and couldn't find it.

I got double adds yesterday. :(
  • WilsonFilson
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Note: This thread is regarding the erroneous myfitnesspal calorie burn figure. If you're getting multiple exercise adjustments in a single day, there is a separate thread for that: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10313526/getting-multiple-calorie-adjustments-per-day#latest
  • WilsonFilson
    Options
    I was about to post here that mine was behaving today, and then it did this:

These were snapped literally five minutes apart.

egsok9hhbiz2.jpg
    svy8bh8rrd4b.jpg
  • zinatara
    Options
    I was about to post here that mine was behaving today, and then it did this:

These were snapped literally five minutes apart.

egsok9hhbiz2.jpg
    svy8bh8rrd4b.jpg
    This is exactly what is happening with me.