Eating yoghurt on keto?

Options
UMDavies
UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
Hi all :)

I was on antibiotics for quite a while last year and I've been having some stomach issues on keto, so I've been trying to incorporate more 'good bacteria' and live cultures into my diet. I started off taking a probiotic pill, but I was wondering whether eating full-fat greek yoghurt would be better? I know the carb count is quite high but I'd probably only eat a small serving at a time, maybe for dessert, and I feel like it would be better to get the live cultures from yoghurt than from a probiotic. I also have a problem with snacking after supper, so this might help me curb that!

Does anyone else fit yoghurt into their diaries, or have experience with the probiotics? Would I be better off just buying more tablets and saving my carbs?

Replies

• CoffeeSalty
    CoffeeSalty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have full fat Fage yogurt as my afternoon snack at work everyday. I mix some Crystal Light into it. It's filling and gives me something sweet. I don't know about the probiotic stuff other than I've heard unless you get your probiotics in the cold section is a waste of money. Can't remember where I heard that (probably a Jimmy Moore podcast, but not sure), but if I had to choose between a pill or yogurt even with the carbs, the yogurt wins!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've had Kroger's CarbMaster yogurt a few times just recently. I've also had probiotics in pill form. I'm not sure whether or not that's true about them needing to be refrigerated but I've noticed good effects even when i take non-refrigerated versions.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    If it's live probiotics that you are looking for to help with your tummy troubles try a serving or two of gut shot per day (available at whole foods) or some kimchi or sauerkraut. Anything this is fermented has live probiotics in it that is good for your gut.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Kombucha...which is a naturally fermented tea. I drink it daily.

But the reason for buying probiotics refrigerated is that a live culture is preferable, and only a minimal might be alive in a counter top product...

Also, I make a "jello fat bomb" that uses sour cream and heavy cream, using natural cultures, too.... Yogurt never agreed with my tummy much, but this has the texture of it...

But yeah, naturally fermented pickles, sauerkraut (even a TBSP just downed daily can help), etc. Basically, most of those tangy pungent foods, but the version without vinegar...
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have liberte mediterranee 11% fat yogurt. It has 5g carb 16 protein and I believe 16g of fat in a 175g portion. It's tasty and easy to fit in 5g of carbs
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ah I can only find the flavoured Liberte yoghurts in the supermarkets here :( I've got some Fage full-fat to try this week, so I'll see how that goes :) Thanks everyone!
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Tillamook plain and simple greek is very low carb. Great snack. I also like the trader joes 2% greek yogurt. Also low carb. I often mix with strawberry pea protein (no carbs) which gives it a nice sweetness when I want something sweet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How many carbs would constitute a low carb yogurt. The ones I've looked at all roughly have 15ish carbs per serve.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    How many carbs would constitute a low carb yogurt. The ones I've looked at all roughly have 15ish carbs per serve.

I honestly don't know, but that is mainly why I make Jello Fat bombs, which can be made with plain gelatin and maybe vanilla to eliminate AS... They have a texture very similar to custard style yogurt...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/recipe-jello-fat-bombs-731743
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss , that sounds yum! :smile:
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Anything unflavored, full fat and naturally cultured is OK. Lately, big brands have started going Greek with their yoghurt. But watch out, often the texture they have is because of fillers or thickeners, even the plain ones. I also do yoghurt/sour cream half and half.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    OOh, now that's an idea I hadn't thought of- cutting it with sour cream. More fat, less carbs! Yay!
  • ladipoet
    Options

The lowest one I've found is something like 4g or 6g carbs per serving. Carbmaster (without the fruit). Most flavors are okay but some are terrible so you kind of have to pick and choose carefully.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

The lowest one I've found is something like 4g or 6g carbs per serving. Carbmaster (without the fruit). Most flavors are okay but some are terrible so you kind of have to pick and choose carefully.

Unfortunately we don't have carbmaster here. I did a bit of looking and the lowest carb yogurt I could find was Chobani plain greek yogurt 2% which has 4.1g carbs per 100g, 2g Fat, 9.8g protein, Does that sound ok? I don't know how much your serving size is.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Yeah, those numbers seem decent to me. I believe a serving of carbmaster yogurts (or most yogurts for that matter) is 6 ounces.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    6 ounces is roughly 170grams (according to a googled grams to ounces equivalent).
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    6 ounces is roughly 170grams (according to a googled grams to ounces equivalent).

Hehe I was literally just on my conversion calculator! thank-you :flowerforyou:
  • ladipoet
    Options
    No problem. You're welcome. lol
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    there is also 10% fat content yoghurt. much better taste. try it savory: with a little bit of salt on top and some Indian garam masala.