USA shopping suggestions

Options
SamandaIndia
SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
I will be in Houston for work in 3 weeks time. I am thinking pre online shopping with delivery to my friends. MCT oil is on the list (can not find it here)and maybe other bulletproof goodies and keto supplies.

Is bulletproof ground coffee worth it?

What else would you recommend to buy?

(I can freeze and transport to Europe, if needed). I can get coconut oil, chia seeds, almond flour, coconut milk and almond milk in Europe but websites like www.bulletproofexec.com do make me wonder if there are awesome things worth trying that I am yet to find in Europe.

Replies

• JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Check out Thrivemarket.com (http://thrv.me/qKtfYh). There is a yearly membership but you get the first month free to try it out which you can cancel anytime after you order. It offers some pretty good discounts on gluten-free, paleo, etc. products. Their shipping time can be a little slow depending on how far you (in your case, your friend) are from their distribution centers. For example, they have a large bottle of Now Sports MCT Oil for $16.95 (regular price $24.99). Plus, you can search for a coupon code to get 25% additional off of your first order.

Happy shopping and enjoy your trip to the States!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    No recommendations, but welcome to Houston (in advance). How long will you be here?
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Can you get those edamame noodles in your town? I haven't tried them yet. I don't know if they are worth the shipping.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Edamame noodles sound good. Thanks @landiodo my shipping will be to Houston where I pick up goodies.

@Mami1976D thanks! One week mid feb. Stay with a girlfriend and celebrate chinese new year.work then new orleans for work n back to houston. Not much time to shop so pre ordering online and sending to her house.

@JinksE21 many thanks, I am building up a shopping cart. Low carb crackers, mct oil etc. Looking forward to finding some things like Artisan crackers (low sugar, which is what kicked my journey off).
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to offer as suggestions, since I don't know what you can't get :neutral:

I wanted to say have a wonderful time! New Orleans is about an hour and a half west of me and I've been there many times! Is a very neat city, with an interesting culture. Safe travels!
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @Karlottap other than bulletproof, I dont know either. Anything you love that helps you with Keto or low carb is helpful to know. I know USA has a lot more low carb crackers and protein bars than europe. Some probably taste like the package that they come in, others may be yummy. Any specific fantastic brands? What (aside from meat, cheese, coconut oil n chia seeds) do you love or use for baking amazing lchf foods??
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi @SamandaIndia there are definitely lots of low carb frankenfoods in the US, but if you're still in weight loss mode or if you eat a VLC diet, I'd recommend avoiding them in lieu of whole food options. I spent years eating a low cal diet full of low carb tortillas, bagels, bread and crackers and didn't lose a pound. Those things are full of total junky filler fiber.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Hi @SamandaIndia there are definitely lots of low carb frankenfoods in the US, but if you're still in weight loss mode or if you eat a VLC diet, I'd recommend avoiding them in lieu of whole food options. I spent years eating a low cal diet full of low carb tortillas, bagels, bread and crackers and didn't lose a pound. Those things are full of total junky filler fiber.

Many thanks @PaleoInScotland . Perhaps a good thing I can't get anything but junkie atkins bars here which I avoid. I miss crackers with my cheese.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    I totally understand, it's the Quest bars that do me in. It's my last remaining bad habit. I bought my husband crackers yesterday and was kind of sad that I couldn't have any, though it wasn't hard to resist. I don't think I could make those low carb cheese crackers and then put cheese on top, though maybe they'd be good with pate, which I also miss. I was trying to think of what I could spread it on yesterday and the idea of pate and celery just didn't do it for me.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I bought some almond flour in the beginning, and made a fathead pizza (was really good, but filling). Other than that, I haven't bought any "low carb" stuff, or tried making any other fake food recipes (I consider artificial sweeteners to be fake food too). I haven't eaten anything out of a box, or bag, until recently with horrible results, even though it still fit in my day! Gives me more reasons not to!

I have made the cheese crackers baked in the oven! These are good to use for dipping into whatever is preferred, or just eating alone! I used to miss crackers too, but now, not so much! I've lost the desire for so many things, and I love it!

Good luck with your search!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of protein powder. The only places I've been able to find unflavored powders (that are really and truly tasteless, so that I can use my vast armory of flavoring items) are GNC, whose real name is General Nutrition Corporation, and The Vitamin Shoppe. GNC's store location map looks as though there's one on every other street corner in Houston. Vitamin Shoppe: not so many but still handy.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I don't understand the appeal of Quest bars. I bought some out of curiosity the other day, but they tasted even worse than Atkins bars to me. To each his own, though. :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    @Mami1976D it's just the Quest Cravings peanut butter cups I'm hooked on. The normal quest bars are just my back up low carb nutrition for days when I'm traveling and in meetings and can't get anything better to eat, they kind of feel like punishment, I don't like them, but I try to think of them purely as fuel.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Oh, I haven't tried those. I guess I'd better not! :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Many thanks @PaleoInScotland . Perhaps a good thing I can't get anything but junkie atkins bars here which I avoid. I miss crackers with my cheese.

Hi there! I was missing crackers pretty bad too. I found that dumping a good deal of shredded cheese on a baking sheet and popping it in the oven until crisp was a great substitute. Especially with goat cheese. Mmm.
  • vikashsinha
    vikashsinha Posts: 79 Member
    Options

agree
  • SamandaIndia
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi there! I was missing crackers pretty bad too. I found that dumping a good deal of shredded cheese on a baking sheet and popping it in the oven until crisp was a great substitute. Especially with goat cheese. Mmm.

Good idea. Thxs. Any specific cheese for a crisp result?I am in one of the world's cheese making centres. I live within an hour of gouda and edam!
  • miche173
    miche173 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like to eat cheese with almonds. It gives that salty crunch. Maybe 3 almonds with a slice of cracker cut sharp cheddar makes a nice snack:). I like the new Atkins trail bars (but I limit to one per week, usually four servings from one bar). Quest bars were hugely disappointing to me. I will also occasionally indulge in an Atkins shake blended with ice. For those, one shake is two servings. I also like the DaVinci sugar free syrup, but I know many avoid artificial sweeteners. One tablespoon of the French Vanilla in a cup of tea feels like a decadent treat:).
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would recommend when you get here this to stroll through Trader Joe's! I just love it, they have the cheapest organic HWC and tons of different cheeses and roasted salted pecans...my favorite! It's just a fun shopping experience :)