For us K-drama fans!

Options
Marney: I think that right now both Pam and I would recommend Oh, My Venus! It is about overweight. Training. Romance. A little mystery. And the two leads have wonderful chemistry. It is 16 episodes (I forget). Here is the page on drama fever and there is a cute trailer. http://www.dramafever.com/drama/4766/Oh_My_Venus/

A second favorite of both of us is Coffee Prince, however, I can see that some people might be uncomfortable with it. It has a little of what is called gender bending. Korean culture is big on bromance (not gay themes, but male friendships) and gender bending (trying to pass for the opposite sex in the case of Coffee Prince to find work).

I don't know about Pam, but one of the things I like about K-dramas is the idea of skinship. You usually will not find blatant sexuality like in the U.S., but a build-up just to hold hands. Waiting for the stars to share that first kiss is something that K-drama lovers wait for and even grade.

There is also a lot of love triangles and very often it is hard to decide who you want to win. It is called second-lead syndrome. You love the second leads. Sometimes the second leads are evil, but very often it is the second lead you like best at first and then the first lead comes around.

My first show was Pasta. That is what got me hooked. It incorporated great skinship, first kiss, and second lead. However, it was not as much about eye-candy as some. A lot of K-drama is about food, restaurants, and hotels.

Another early one both Pam and I liked was a drama with Rain (K-pop star) called Full House. There was a Full House 2, but I didn't care for it. Different cast.

We also liked a recent show Twenty Again. It is about a middle aged mother whose husband wants a divorce and she goes back to college the same time her son goes. The star Choi Ji Woo is my favorite Korean actress. I have seen so many of her movies. Is nice to see a romance with a more mature theme.

Of course, even 40 year old Koreans look 20! Great genes and in many cases, great surgery!

Okay, truth be told, one of the reasons I like K-drama so much is the male eye-candy. Watch Oh, My Venus and you will see.

We have also agreed on She Was Pretty. Pinocchio. Quite a few others. Pam really likes the historical dramas or Sageuk. There is also fusion Sageuk like Splish, Splash Love (sort of time travel dramas.) I tend to like Romantic Comedies.

Right now I am watching Ghost which isn't about ghosts but about cyber crime. This is a different route for me, but I do like American stories about cyber crime (not other crime too much) and it has So Ji-Sub from Oh, My Venus. Can you say Heartthrob?

A lot of shows are K-pop based. Young themes. Pam likes those. I haven't watched too many. But most of these actors (and actresses) are K-pop stars. Korea is trying to export their culture big time through media in TV, film, and music. Of course, this also allows for internal advertising like you see in the US. Here on film everyone has an apple on their laptops. Korean film/TV Samsungs.

Pam likes a site called Dramabeans that reviews K-drama. I usually just search out new stuff on Drama Fever, Viki or Hulu. I have also liked some Taiwanese dramas.

If you see something that strikes you, ask us. One of us may have watched it.

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!!! I am off to ride my bike and watch.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Watched the first episode of O my Venus. Yes, handsome!!!!! Interesting that the fat leading lady is less fat than her assistant!

Despite the fat shaming for someone who isn't that big, I can get into it.

Thanks guys
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wonderful kick-start Charlie! Yes, yes and yes I agree with everything you posted!

After my first kdrama, Coffee Prince (and you always remember your first!), I stumbled upon dramafever. I used their rating list to guide my choices in the beginning. But Charlie has started a great list to explore.
    dramabeans.com/about/ratings/

dramabeans even put together a book "Why Do Dramas Do That?" that has a lot of background information - such as the nearly live filming schedules, words that you will hear often, cultural things. Take a look at the reviews.
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJXQ476/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00FJXQ476&linkCode=as2&tag=dramabeans02-20&linkId=VYWJXR25ZZQMEZJ7

After you watch a few dramas here is a very good list of terms:
    dramafever.com/news/101-korean-pop-culture-words-you-absolutely-must-know/

I recently read "The Birth of Korean Cool" that covers the choices that Korean made to turn their economy around, including supporting the entertainment industry - and that's why we have wonderful kdramas to watch!
    It's a very engaging read - also found on amazon.

My sister favors a spreadsheet, but I keep a numbered list, for the shows we've watched - and then there is the list of shows we want to watch.

Charlie - have you seen My Girlfriend is a Gumiho? (gumiho = a nine-tailed fox). My first show with Shin Min Na (girl lead in Oh My Venus). The male lead, Lee Seung Gi, is heading to the military this Feb.
    What about Kimchi Family? I loved the music from that and have it on my mp3 player.

Marney: Military service is mandatory for men in South Korean, lasting from 18-24 months. It can be hard for an actor to decided when to interrupt their career. But avoiding it (cough, cough..Lee Min Ho...) sometimes gets fans disturbed too.

I feel fortunate that DH is also a fan and we've enjoyed adding the language and food into our mix too.
    Well, I'm off to tread to an episode of It's Okay It's Love.

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have never kept a list. I think I will try to formulate one someday. I have often said I was going to watch My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. Just something new always seems to pop up. I did like Kimchi Family. A liked a lot of the restaurant/cooking based ones.

Pam: How are you liking It's Okay, It's Love. Very different isn't it?

Marney: Some dramas on Viki and Dramafever are in real time. We can usually get them the next day, but then you have to wait for the next drama. The ones we are telling you about right now are all completed. You can binge watch if you want. But, when Pam and I were watching Oh, My Venus, we watched in real time. Most dramas show two episodes a week on consecutive nights. So Oh, My Venus was on in Korean on Sunday and Monday nights and we could watch it on Dramafever as early as Monday mornings and then again on Tuesday morning. The people who subtitle these things really work fast! But then we would have to wait a week.

• MapDancer
    Options
    It's Okay, It's Love has been great, I have 3 more episodes to go. I'm assuming that the untranslated text (watching on dramafever) is a disclaimer about diagnosing and treating illness based on the show - do they translate it on viki? It's a show with a message and very well done. I think Hyo-Jin is a wonderful actress - she seems so down-to-earth.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Yes. She is in The Master's Sun with So Ji-Sub. I liked it even though it was a "I see dead people" genre. Talk about great second leads!

It's Okay, It's Love has more substance than some. Some scenes were just heartbreaking.

I didn't watch it on Viki at all so can't tell about the warning. Speaking of that, does Dramafever edit out scenes? I once watched something on Dramafever and the subtitles got goofed up, so I went to Viki. I swear Viki showed scenes not shown on Dramafever.

• dasher602014
    Options
    I am at episode 5 of On my Venus.

Watching the eye candy do pullups with a body twist and bent arms in slow motion! I did not know that was even physically possible.

It took me awhile to 'feel' for her she was so grumpy but her drive wins, him and everyone watching over as the show progresses.

Now if I could move it to the stationary bike instead of sitting on the couch. It did however get me thinking about my strength training exercises that I taught my senior group! Contemplation is the next step of change after all!

I find dramafever interesting. They have decided since I am located in Canada, they give me every alternate ad in French.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I watch them on my smart phone on the stationary bike.

I tried listing all the show I have watched. Didn't hit Pam's 100. I had 65. I know there are some missing, but probably not too many. But, I do watch other stuff when working out. Big Bang and some British shows.

Also, I watched Dear Mom (Taiwanese) which was 84 episodes! Most are 16-20. So that was like 5 or 6 shows! it was on five days a week for 17 weeks!

Are you Québécoise, Marney?
  • MapDancer
    Options
    My sister called last night and asked if I had seen it. What?? Well on dramabeans there is a recurring section called "Spill the Beans" where kdrama fans write it with stories of how kdramas have affected their life. Here is the link, and the second story is from my sister Terri.
    dramabeans.com/2016/01/spill-the-beans-susceptible-family-members-and-questionable-moral-choices/
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I am not Quebecoise Charlie. But we all get a passing knowledge of French in school. I guess dramafever just has one region for Canada.

I had had to stop. We had a new high speed modem installed on Friday but someone we have the cap back on our internet usage plan. It will be sorted out Monday but this weekend is a bit of a bust on watching shows online. I almost topped it out before Peter told me! I don't know "when the cap came back" but it did and I did not know.

I am on episode 9 on Oh Venus. Really, really enjoying it. I have promised myself that I will watch episode 9 on my bike not the couch. Your sister story, Pam, really inspired me!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Love her story, Pam. Now, if you could find some way to force my weight loss back on track like you did with Terri, I'd be grateful!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Oh my God! He was in a car crash and I cannot get the next episode to load! Waaaaaaah.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Charlie: I had no idea that my sister was so competitive - though she did do a spell of competitive body building. Maybe because she's 14 months younger and feels the need to catch up?? I didn't know there has been only two times when I weighed less than her - my divorce and now. Are you a first born? or further down the birth order?

I've seen Coffee Prince on hulu and the DVD set. But never compared the same show on different venues. I think the rabid fans would make a huge fuss. There are differences sometimes in translations. Maybe that makes a scene feel different?

Marney - Spoken like a true kdrama fan :) I hope you are back online watching by now. I've let hulu lapse and watch on both viki.com and dramafever currently. We are Idol Members on dramafever so there are no ads (it's 49.99/year), but sometimes it just seems to clog up, usually in the evening.

After watching Gaksital (aka Bridal Mask) - 28 episodes set in 1930 when Japan had taken over - we needed a lighthearted show so have started Grandpas Over Flowers: Investigation Team. And to continue the fluff I'm treading to High-End Crush. Which is where I am heading now as soon as I get my socks!

• dasher602014
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well. Finished Oh my Venus. I am hooked. What a tear jerker but such a good romance. I think I will purse eye candy first with Ghost and then more back to romance. So Ji-Sub it is!

Thanks guys. Fun! But I get hooked so that I watch on the couch instead of on the bike. My goal this week is to change that!
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    You will love Ghost. I'm not a big crime fan, but this is very interesting, keeps you guessing, and in suspense.

As far as eye candy goes, that is pretty common. Although I think I like So Ji-Sub because he is a little more mature than some of the others.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Yah! So Ji-Sub
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Finished Ghost. Looking for something new. Tried Madam Antoine. Not doing it for me. I don't know yet.
  • MapDancer
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just reviewed my list for some favorites - Have you seen High School King of Savvy, Angry Mom, Dalja's Spring?
  • MapDancer
    Options
    We started watching Healer. I thought it was some medical drama but it's not. It's exciting, funny - used dramabeans.com recaps to help sort out the characters introduced in the first couple episodes.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I've caught up to present with Cheese in the Trap. It's kept my interest. Right now real time for one drama is about all I can handle. With Big Bang and Downton it gets me a week through on the stationary bike.