What a messed up day.... but some good parts, too.

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
I decided that I would only officially record my weight on Mondays. I was expecting good things today. I was 265.4 yesterday. I worked out for an hour. My macros were pretty close to perfect. And I had been losing a pound a day, Basically. I was hoping for another pound off today. ( I was 12.5 pounds down in 12 days )

What did I get?

A SIX, yes SIX pound GAIN!!!!!!

Plus I was feeling fat this morning.

But later in the day, I noticed that my belt was on the last hole.... so my waist is smaller than yesterday.

Also, I have been really constipated.... well, to put it mildly, that went away today in a dramatic fashion.

What a day.

Oh, and today, someone said "You look thinner than the last time I saw you."

I don't want to log myself as being over 270 again! Dammit,

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good day. Nice job!

In the future don't make your weigh in day the day after a heavy workout
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Many of us here see our weight fluctuate regularly. Don't fret about it, just stick to the plan, and results will be seen, not always in a linear fashion.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates up and down 1-5 pounds ALL THE TIME! I started using the app Happy Scale. It helps to see your REAL weight.
    So that when you have dramatic changes from one day to the next, you realize it doesn't really matter.
    ms3pry7iiozi.png
    The recorded weight is my daily weigh in. The moving average is my real weight.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I can lose 5lbs by sweating a lot. And I can gain 5lbs by eating something very salty. Or 9lbs with a hypersaline IV drip. :(
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weight fluctuates up and down each day. As much as it drives me crazy, that's why I weigh in every day, so I can see the trend going in the right direction and not freak out when I'm up a few pounds from one day to the next. I know some people only log their new lows on MFP, which is another way to handle it, but I personally like to see what's happening from day to day so I can go back and try to figure out where I might have gone wrong. Although usually I know exactly what I did wrong (like Mexican food or egg rolls ).
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well, I went up another 1.5... so I gained 7.5 pounds back in 2 days.... and I log my food. And I measure it too, on a digital scale.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Curious - why? @auntstephie321

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

After a hard workout, your muscles can hold a few pounds of fluid as they take a couple of days to recover. Hard workouts cause small tears in the muscle. This is good, this is how muscle grows. But those small tears cause temporary inflammation.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

Muscles use water to heal. After a really heavy lifting day when I wake up with sore muscles, I am always up a pound or two. Then it goes back down and takes a little with it. Its a good thing :) I now look forward to it as validation I am actually working hard in the gym!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles are the best! You're using more energy as they heal too. I love knowing that my workout is still working the next day! lol
    motown13 wrote: »
    Well, I went up another 1.5... so I gained 7.5 pounds back in 2 days.... and I log my food. And I measure it too, on a digital scale.

The only way this is about food is if you're constipated or had a carb binge that's causing even more water retention. Don't be discouraged. There's simply NO WAY you gained 7.5 pounds of fat in a few days.
    motown13 wrote: »
    I decided that I would only officially record my weight on Mondays. I was expecting good things today. I was 265.4 yesterday. I worked out for an hour. My macros were pretty close to perfect. And I had been losing a pound a day, Basically. I was hoping for another pound off today. ( I was 12.5 pounds down in 12 days )

What did I get?

A SIX, yes SIX pound GAIN!!!!!!

Plus I was feeling fat this morning.

But later in the day, I noticed that my belt was on the last hole.... so my waist is smaller than yesterday.

Also, I have been really constipated.... well, to put it mildly, that went away today in a dramatic fashion.

What a day.

Oh, and today, someone said "You look thinner than the last time I saw you."

I don't want to log myself as being over 270 again! Dammit,

You were also not losing a pound of fat a day. It's important to keep the perspective on losses and gains. Water, hormones, gut contents all play a role in daily scale weight. That's why I think having a "weigh in day" is a terrible idea! You set yourself up to see the benefit of your effort all week on weigh in day but your body doesn't give a rat's *kitten* if you expect it to do its thing on a schedule. It WILL DO IT! You WILL lose the weight if you keep at it. But you WILL NOT see the result on the same day, week by week. That is an absolute! If you make that kind of plan, you WILL be disappointed.
    I cannot recommend it enough. If the scale number is that important to you, (it is for me so I understand), get the Happy Scale app or there's one called Libra too, though they don't make it for IOS. Even though you will also see some ups and downs on the moving weight it gives you, like I did in my picture above, it will be more in perspective and won't be a 7 pound jump. And overall, you can see your trends better. It works best if you weigh daily and doing that taught me to mostly disregard the daily weight. I know that it will be different every day. I've totally accepted that now. I had a much harder time with that before I could clearly see how little the daily jumps effect the moving average. When I get a new low moving average weight, I log it. No matter what day it is. Sometimes that number even goes back up the next day, like it did in my pic. But, it has always come back down again in a few days. I don't log the increase. I just wait until I get another new low average. I might log the increase if it stuck around for a month or more.
    Be careful about stressing over the scale. This kind of thing is probably the number one reason people quit trying. Because it's easy to think you're failing somehow if that weigh in day or daily number doesn't do what you want.
    Also, it is entirely possible and NOT UNCOMMON to lose fat and inches without losing any actual weight. In some cases, it can be whole lot! We had a progress pics thread where a few members said they were basically the same weight in both pics but were several clothing sizes smaller. Can't explain how that works, but it happens. You're body has bigger plans than just getting smaller. It's working on repairing things you don't even know about.
    You're noticing the difference. Other people are noticing it too. But that number is messing with your head. That number means nothing compared to seeing physical results.
    Keep calm
    And
    Keto on! (Or LCHF on!)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    This type of rollercoaster scale experience has been the reason for me giving up far too many times! Just know that it happens and keep on plan! As the body heals itself it sometimes needs to hold on to fluid to accomplish the task! Patience is important!

This is the first woe that I haven't allowed myself to be derailed from, and I'm so glad I stuck with it! The reward is huge!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @SuesNewImage yes, what the other ladies said. Your muscles tear when you work out and the repair process involves retaining fluids and rebuilding the torn muscle sections. That's also why you are sore the next day. If I do a ton of walking or yard work I can guarantee that the next day the scale will be up and sometimes for a few days after that. That's why it can be really discouraging to have a weigh in day right after a workout. I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ weigh every day if you need to weigh, that way you will see a trend. Just know if you are doing everything correct and not losing, it does not mean you are not losing fat. Your body does all sorts of crazy things and it takes time to see the difference. Take measurements, and that happy scale app sounds great for seeing trends. Just don't get discouraged if the scale is up a few lbs here and there. I lost almost 2lbs last week and the scale is not showing them added back, I know I didn't gain back 2 lbs so I'm not going to let that stress me. it's a process that takes time but you will get there.
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    These comments have been really helpful. Especially about not weighing in after a hard workout. For me personally I didn't like the stress of weighing myself every day and seeing or not seeing what I was hoping for, but when I switched to weighing myself only one day a week (a set day). I would move that day too in hopes it would help me stay motivated. Monday to set off a good week led to going off track on the weekend (for example). I would have weeks where something i did/ate/drank the day before would camouflage my real weight and any progress I might have made. In the end what works for me is I weight myself Friday, Sat and Sun and then take the lowest number for my tracking. I've yet to get the same results each day and it helps me stay motivated throughout the weekend when it's easier to cheat and helps me better see progress or lack there of and I need to make changes.