Venison??

Options
guntherma
guntherma Posts: 115 Member
Does anyone have any good recipes for venison? Single mom here that someone was so nice to give me a freezer full of venison (burger, butterfly steaks, etc.). I can't justify going to the store and buying chicken when I have a freezer full of meat but the meatloaf and dry (because apparently I don't cook them right) steaks have run their course in this house.

Replies

• leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ground venison makes amazing baked meatballs. Mix a pound of meat with two whole eggs, two pieces of garlic (minced), parsley, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese. Roll into balls and bake on a cookie sheet. VOila! you can use them in soup or in other ways.
  • SageandLucy
    SageandLucy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love teriyaki surgery with steak strips; steaks in foil packets with carrots, potatoes, Worcester sauce and a bit of butter; kabobs on grill; steaks marinated in teriyaki.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Venison is very lean, so it can certainly seem dry depending on how it is prepared. When we process fresh venison, we mix the ground meat with ground pork (about 60% venison, 40% pork) to give it a texture more similar to lean ground beef. I then use that just as I would ground beef - I brown in a pan and throw into chili, tacos, marinara sauce for spaghetti or lasagna.

The whole cuts of muscle do well in the crockpot. I usually use a venison roast, but a steak or a backstrap works as well. Put in crockpot and cover with a packet of brown gravy mix and a packet of ranch seasoning. Add some water, and maybe throw in some potatoes, onions and carrots. Eight hours on low.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe last weekend with venison and it was delicious:

http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/10/best-crockpot-beef-stew.html
  • ttgrandma
    ttgrandma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use elk and venison as much as I can and always have.My secret to meatloaf is onions, garlic and shredded cheddar cheese. Since we eat low carb I have used pork rinds for filler. I use lots of garlic and have adapted old German recipes that cook slow and braise most cuts. Rouladen is especially good, beef broth and mushroom cooking sauce is good on egg noodles or mashed potatoes(not LC).My husband and son have even grilled steaks(medium rare) but do not over cook! Good luck eating organic meat with no hormones.