Irony and coupons

Options
2»

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I bought some plain coconut milk yogurt last week as it was super low carb, less than 1 g for 50 ml I think. I took one bite and tossed it. Unfortunately it also had soy in it and it tasted like liquid tofu
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, I can rarely even find plain full fat yogurt at the Kroger(s) where I shop. Maybe they need to read their own article. (I shouldn't complain, though, because they do carry Kerrygold butter, various flour substitutes, and several kinds of coconut oil.)

OMG, I know, right? Even cheese is getting hard to get that isn't "reduced fat!" I don't want reduced fat "cheese" products! I want cheese.

I am a bit fortunate regarding yogurt, though I don't generally buy it since I'm not a yogurt fan without sweetener of some sort, because I have a local dairy that my usual Kroger carries, and they have plain, full-fat yogurt. :)

But man...anything else? Forget it. Even the selection of "fat free"/"low fat" half and half is starting to outnumber the real stuff. Makes me want to strangle people.

speaking of half&half...it reminds me that I've been out of cream and forced to use a mixture of a couple tbsp of milk and a couple tbsp of almond milk. :rage: NOT HAPPY. I used the last up the morning we drove back from SC. That was Wednesday... :disappointed:

That reduced fat cheese is NASTY. It's not cheese. It's frankencheese. I want nothing to do with it. You'd think with a dairy in the region we'd have more products from a dairy in ours. Not so.annoyed.gif
    I love the vanilla carbmaster yogurt. It is really good with the coconut flakes in it. I also like to shave some dark chocolate in it. When I'm really feeling crazy, I do both! Lol
    I actually haven't had any in months since I've been reducing artificial sweeteners... Kinda miss that stuff

I put cinnamon in mine this morning. I wonder if there is a way to make your own and use stevia to sweeten? Hmmmmm.

Probably could make it on my own. I saw @DittoDan post how he made his own yogurt recently. But, I'm too lazy for all that! Lol
    I saw Kefir comes in a plain, carbs aren't bad but I can't remember what it was. Thinking it might make a yummy "shake" with some HWC or half&half and whatever flavor I felt like adding. My daughter loves the vanilla flavor but their flavored ones are up into the 30's on carb grams due to added sugar.

Boo! :-1:

I made my own yogurt once. With soymilk for my oldest son. It was such a PITA. I meant the Carbmaster-like "yogurt." Because it isn't yogurt. It's a "dairy blend" with cultures added. The problem with making non-dairy-milk yogurt is that it doesn't thicken unless you add a thickener. And doing that usually adds carbs. :angry:

I could make a almond milk kefir-like thing using a yogurt method. Again, sounds like a PITA.
    I'll just buy the Carbmaster and keep making my sauerkraut. :lol:

Perking up my ears excitedly....homemade sauerkraut!?!?!?! Do spill your method and madness, please, @baconslave ...

Chop cabbage like you would for slaw. Salt to taste, but not too much or it will inhibit bacterial growth. If it tastes too salty, then it is. You can add other spices to it here. I've used fennel, but I prefer it just salted. Place a quarter of your cabbage in the fermenting vessel. Use a potato masher to bruise the cabbage until it releases enough juice to cover it when it's mashed down. Add the next quarter to the vessel, mixing it with the bruised cabbage. Repeat the mashing/bruising until it appears like your first mashing and has a good juice cover. Keep repeating this until the cabbage is all done this way. I generally choose a wider bowl to brew my kraut and set a slightly smaller bowl inside, filled 1/2 to 3/4 of water. This pushes the cabbage down so that it is continually submerged in its juice so that proper fermentation can take place. Place it in a darker room, between 55 and 72 for the best result. Remember, too cold and it won't ferment; Too hot and it will happen a lot faster. Every couple days check on it and vent it as the process gives off gases that can blow a lid off or crack your vessel. You may want to stir it after a week. Depending on how warm it is, it should be ready by 2 weeks, maybe sooner. If you end up with a top-layer of brown or moldy stuff, just spoon it out. The stuff underneath will be perfectly fine for consumption. Once it's ready, you can refrigerate it to stop fermentation. Add it only to foods after they are cooked, otherwise you'll kill all those good bugs you worked so hard to create.

Sometimes it takes longer than 2 weeks or just 1. That is all dependent on how warm the place where you are keeping it. Check it often. Sometimes people seal it. I don't. I just rely on the cabbage juice to keep it covered and the chemistry going. If I don't watch, the level can rise and spill over during fermentation. Which is a mess, but as long as you are paying attention, it can be fixed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, I can rarely even find plain full fat yogurt at the Kroger(s) where I shop. Maybe they need to read their own article. (I shouldn't complain, though, because they do carry Kerrygold butter, various flour substitutes, and several kinds of coconut oil.)

OMG, I know, right? Even cheese is getting hard to get that isn't "reduced fat!" I don't want reduced fat "cheese" products! I want cheese.

I am a bit fortunate regarding yogurt, though I don't generally buy it since I'm not a yogurt fan without sweetener of some sort, because I have a local dairy that my usual Kroger carries, and they have plain, full-fat yogurt. :)

But man...anything else? Forget it. Even the selection of "fat free"/"low fat" half and half is starting to outnumber the real stuff. Makes me want to strangle people.

speaking of half&half...it reminds me that I've been out of cream and forced to use a mixture of a couple tbsp of milk and a couple tbsp of almond milk. :rage: NOT HAPPY. I used the last up the morning we drove back from SC. That was Wednesday... :disappointed:

That reduced fat cheese is NASTY. It's not cheese. It's frankencheese. I want nothing to do with it. You'd think with a dairy in the region we'd have more products from a dairy in ours. Not so.annoyed.gif
    I love the vanilla carbmaster yogurt. It is really good with the coconut flakes in it. I also like to shave some dark chocolate in it. When I'm really feeling crazy, I do both! Lol
    I actually haven't had any in months since I've been reducing artificial sweeteners... Kinda miss that stuff

I put cinnamon in mine this morning. I wonder if there is a way to make your own and use stevia to sweeten? Hmmmmm.

Probably could make it on my own. I saw @DittoDan post how he made his own yogurt recently. But, I'm too lazy for all that! Lol
    I saw Kefir comes in a plain, carbs aren't bad but I can't remember what it was. Thinking it might make a yummy "shake" with some HWC or half&half and whatever flavor I felt like adding. My daughter loves the vanilla flavor but their flavored ones are up into the 30's on carb grams due to added sugar.

Boo! :-1:

I made my own yogurt once. With soymilk for my oldest son. It was such a PITA. I meant the Carbmaster-like "yogurt." Because it isn't yogurt. It's a "dairy blend" with cultures added. The problem with making non-dairy-milk yogurt is that it doesn't thicken unless you add a thickener. And doing that usually adds carbs. :angry:

I could make a almond milk kefir-like thing using a yogurt method. Again, sounds like a PITA.
    I'll just buy the Carbmaster and keep making my sauerkraut. :lol:

Perking up my ears excitedly....homemade sauerkraut!?!?!?! Do spill your method and madness, please, @baconslave ...

Chop cabbage like you would for slaw. Salt to taste, but not too much or it will inhibit bacterial growth. If it tastes too salty, then it is. You can add other spices to it here. I've used fennel, but I prefer it just salted. Place a quarter of your cabbage in the fermenting vessel. Use a potato masher to bruise the cabbage until it releases enough juice to cover it when it's mashed down. Add the next quarter to the vessel, mixing it with the bruised cabbage. Repeat the mashing/bruising until it appears like your first mashing and has a good juice cover. Keep repeating this until the cabbage is all done this way. I generally choose a wider bowl to brew my kraut and set a slightly smaller bowl inside, filled 1/2 to 3/4 of water. This pushes the cabbage down so that it is continually submerged in its juice so that proper fermentation can take place. Place it in a darker room, between 55 and 72 for the best result. Remember, too cold and it won't ferment; Too hot and it will happen a lot faster. Every couple days check on it and vent it as the process gives off gases that can blow a lid off or crack your vessel. You may want to stir it after a week. Depending on how warm it is, it should be ready by 2 weeks, maybe sooner. If you end up with a top-layer of brown or moldy stuff, just spoon it out. The stuff underneath will be perfectly fine for consumption. Once it's ready, you can refrigerate it to stop fermentation. Add it only to foods after they are cooked, otherwise you'll kill all those good bugs you worked so hard to create.

Sometimes it takes longer than 2 weeks or just 1. That is all dependent on how warm the place where you are keeping it. Check it often. Sometimes people seal it. I don't. I just rely on the cabbage juice to keep it covered and the chemistry going. If I don't watch, the level can rise and spill over during fermentation. Which is a mess, but as long as you are paying attention, it can be fixed.

Do you think it would be safe to keep in the same area as my Kombucha brewing? Or would that cross fermenting "streams?" I know they say to keep away from "smelly" things...lol
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to try making sauerkraut!. @baconslave; what do you use for a "vessel"? Does it have to be glass, stoneware, etc.?
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Hah, the irony!

And I shop at Kroger but I don't think I've ever gotten coupons in the mail. I'll have to look into that.

I have their Kroger Plus card and I get a lot of coupons which include Simple Truth meats/products, veggies, as well as additional coupons for spending so much in the produce, meat, and frozen foods departments. I rarely buy crap food anymore so all of the other coupons I get are for personal and paper products. They have definitely saved me money.

Also, if you have their app or login online with your account, they have a lot of coupons for Simple Truth products I think through March 5th. ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to try making sauerkraut!. @baconslave; what do you use for a "vessel"? Does it have to be glass, stoneware, etc.?

Either of those two would work. Not plastic definitely. I'll take a pic of what I do when I get home.