Looking for people who understand

Dteg
Dteg Posts: 86 Member
For my health I am going paleo. I am starting with the whole30, then continuing on after that. Looking for people who understand the struggles and have embraced the paleo lifestyle

Replies

• cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    I started my third whole 30. I'm on day 4. I have never felt better than when I stick to a paleo way of eating. You can add me if you like! It has helped me with nagging injuries, helps with my depression, and gives me way more energy.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Oh boy do I know all about struggles. I have been Primal/Paleo/Carnivore for most of the past 4.5 years. I've had a hell of a time this year but I never ever give up on myself. I don't do Whole30 (but I have done 2, one of which was about 2 months, and the big thing I got from it is realizing how bad dairy really was for me) or follow any one way to do things. Mostly I avoid plant foods because they don't do anything beneficial and actually harm me, but at the moment I am eating small amounts if desired. So I always lean to the carnivore, very low carb form of this lifestyle because that's what is best for my particular health situation but I can certainly still cheer on others who are doing it differently!
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    I eat the foods allowed on Paleo and avoid those not allowed, due to allergies/intollerances. However, I'm not big on worrying too much about macros, omega 3s, and the like as these only stress me out and lead me down the perfectionists path to orthorexia and self-loathing when I inevitably fail. I do have a few quirks, too, that differ from some. I don't eat mold or fungi, for example. I avoid ghee (using coconut oil instead) and other milk products and include white potatoes if I feel like them (which is rare as I prefer the sweeter kinds). My diet is probably higher in carbs than most of you. It's what works best for me and I hope you don't hate me for not going LCHF.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    No hate here. I find I do best if I keep my body guessing. Lower carb some days, higher carb others (though I try not to go over 150g in a day). Since I don't eat legumes or grain at present, it's easy.
  • KouraMara
    KouraMara Posts: 9 Member
    I'm inspired by what I'm reading on here. Lovely. :)
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Arming myself with a mountain of recipes and panning every single meal and snack for the week has kept me on track.

I've started Whole30 and I ran in the snow this morning with my dog (snow shoes are awesome). I could barely walk through a grocery store on Friday. Just a few days of this and my arthritis isn't bugging me :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    I eat the foods allowed on Paleo and avoid those not allowed, due to allergies/intollerances. However, I'm not big on worrying too much about macros, omega 3s, and the like as these only stress me out and lead me down the perfectionists path to orthorexia and self-loathing when I inevitably fail. I do have a few quirks, too, that differ from some. I don't eat mold or fungi, for example. I avoid ghee (using coconut oil instead) and other milk products and include white potatoes if I feel like them (which is rare as I prefer the sweeter kinds). My diet is probably higher in carbs than most of you. It's what works best for me and I hope you don't hate me for not going LCHF.

Ah, no worries, since I am here I've never seen traces of the crazy "carb war", I think we all are simply more tolerant here (I am at 40% carb even if I experimented also lower levels).
    As for the omega 3, I don't bother to take supplements, but I make sure I eat fish/sea food at least 3/4 times per week (it is healthy per se).
  • KouraMara
    KouraMara Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Thank you
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    I have been Paleo for a year and five months. It works great for me - I feel great. I don't have to take antidepressants anymore, my allergies are less than what they used to be, asthma is almost nonexistent now, and I feel like everything is working like it is supposed to. I decide to go a little off-paleo for a day or two I'm okay as long as I don't go overboard on sugars (I break out in hives on my hand and feet when that happens).
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Welcome! I started with w30 also. It was hard at first but after the first 2 weeks I figured out what my body needed (sweet potatoes!) and havnt looked back. My energy and therefore my mood is steady. I feel so much better and lost about 8-10 pounds on w30.