Low carb doc says maybe it's not the carbs!

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
I first tried low-carb in 2004, and my guide was Protein Power by Dr Mike Eades.

It turns out he's been reading my favorite blog:
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

And this is what he now concludes based on some fundamental biochemistry:
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/02/03/will-the-new-dietary-guidelines-fatten-us-even-more/

TL;DR:

Added-fats-and-oil-consumption.jpg

Heresy perhaps, but maybe the obesity epidemic is due to PUFA. Vegetable oils. Including those that they sneak into our food at restaurants.

Replies

• batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks, wabmester, this is interesting. I am trying to read Dr. Eades articles. Have to go slowly and still might not understand it all.
  • wabmester
    Options
    There's some heavy-duty biochem in there! Some beautiful molecular models in the videos if you like that kind of stuff.

Sounds like he plans to write a follow-up post with some specific practical advice, but it is an interesting theory both for the obesity epidemic and for people who might be stalling or gaining weight on a low-carb diet.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have avoided eating out for the most part, because of this.

How I'd love to run a restaurant with healthy real food, but that's a business model destined for failure. :P
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    I have avoided eating out for the most part, because of this.

How I'd love to run a restaurant with healthy real food, but that's a business model destined for failure. :P

Hehe that made me giggle. So true, unfortunately.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Wow that graph tells a story!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I would disagree with the good doctor. A lot of other things happened in the 70's, like the advent of GMOs in our food supply. I would say that our obesity is not due to one variable (PUFAs), but to many - advent of frankenfoods, proliferation of corn syrup and soy in EVERYTHING, PUFAs, less movement, bigger portion sizes, etc. We ended up with broken metabolisms from all those variables IMHO.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I'm sure there's no single answer. If you read through the comments, stress is mentioned as another factor, and Eades mentions cops as an example.

Stress, not Doughnuts, Explains Police Obesity Risk

For me, personally, my weight gain was slow until I started a company: stress, lack of sleep, and eating plenty of crap.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @wabmester stress definitely sabotages my weight loss, even if it doesn't drive me to blow my healthy eating habits. I've always struggled to put my health before my work, to the point where once I was in the hospital with blood clots in my brain strung up with IVs still typing away on my laptop and taking meetings with my staff in my hospital room. I'm finally starting to make some headway with making myself a priority.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I'm sure there's no single answer. If you read through the comments, stress is mentioned as another factor, and Eades mentions cops as an example.

Stress, not Doughnuts, Explains Police Obesity Risk

For me, personally, my weight gain was slow until I started a company: stress, lack of sleep, and eating plenty of crap.

The one constant for me when I'm gaining is my inability to deal with stress in a more constructive manner. For me that's the biggest factor.