Help me shop? Grocery list essentials

Options
TTopless
TTopless Posts: 16 Member
Hello! It's been a long time since I took care of my weight ie my diet, and so I'm naturally at my worst! On a whim, I found that motivation deep inside this week to begin again. As I went to the store in order to frantically stock my part of the fridge with "survival foods," I found I took forever reading labels and put most everything back, emerging with only salad, eggs, and frozen vegetables. I need to make my lunch for work too. I was wondering if you all had some "must haves" that keep you on the straight and narrow. I need to lose 75lbs. And hopefully, it can be fun. In the past "the same foods" over and over got to me over time. This time I hope to get some suggestions from the get go. Thanks!

Replies

• lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's a shopping list I gave to a friend starting LC not too long ago:

Almond butter
    beef roast
    Blue cheese dressing
    block cheese
    Broccoli
    Butter
    Chicken
    cream cheese
    cucumbers
    Eggs
    green beans
    green onions
    hamburger
    lettuce
    mayonnaise
    Nuts (not peanuts)
    peppers
    pork chops
    Pickles (dill not sweet)
    radishes
    ranch dressing
    Salami
    shredded cheese
    Sour cream
    Spinach
    steaks
    string cheese
    Tuna (canned or fresh)
    Whipping cream
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I always have bologna, ham, or salami and cheese. They keep well and are very handy for me for snacks and last minute lunch with pickles. I like to microwave the meat and cheese till they bubble up and get crisp it gives a whole new flavor.

Also
    Almonds
    Bacon
    Coconut oil
    Grass fed butter
    Eggs
    Hot sauce
    Hot dogs
    Sausage
    Ground beef
    Chicken
    Bell peppers

That's all I can think of right now I'm sure I'm missing a million things
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    And here's a more comprehensive list I found online at ketogenicdietresource:

Meats, Poultry, and Seafood: Staples on a Low Carb Grocery List

A low carb grocery list includes any type or cut of fresh animal products, but for the best health, choose grass fed or organic meats and poultry to avoid antibiotic, pesticide and grain residues. Examples include:

Beef, all cuts such as roasts, ribs, steaks and tips
    Bacon, ham and sausage; check carb counts on these meats. Should be 1 carb or less per serving.
    Pork, all cuts including roasts, ribs, loin, chops or steaks
    Lamb, mutton
    Venison and other wild game
    Buffalo

Poultry which has been pasture raised is a better choice:

Chicken - whole or parts
    Turkey- whole or parts
    Duck- whole or parts
    Other birds such as Quail, Cornish hens, goose, ostrich
    Deli Meats - good in a pinch and better than high carb alternatives on a low carb grocery list (check for added sugars):

Cold cuts such as turkey breast and pastrami
    Pepperoni sticks or slices
    Salami and bologna
    Proscuitto
    Seafood: any type or kind. Examples include:

Fresh or frozen fish of any kind, including cod, trout, salmon, swai, tilapia or tuna
    Canned fish such as sardines, tuna and salmon, water or oil packed
    Fresh or frozen shellfish such as shrimp, scallops or crab

Dairy Products

Eggs
    Heavy cream
    Sour cream
    Cream cheese
    Butter
    Cheese: hard cheeses such as cheddar and parmesan
    Cheese: soft cheeses such an muenster and farmer
    Greek yogurt, plain, full fat. Carb count should be less than 7 per serving.

Low Carb Vegetables

Bell peppers
    Broccoli
    Cucumbers
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Lettuce: large leaves to act as the "bread" for sandwiches
    Leafy green vegetables such as spinach and kale
    Onions and garlic: for flavorful cooking
    Sprouts for salads
    Summer squash such as zucchini

Nuts and Seeds

Nuts: coconut, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, and especially macadamias. Nut flours are good to have on hand for baking. These can last a long time if you keep them in the freezer.
    Seeds: sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds.
    Be aware both nuts and seeds are high in inflammatory Omega 6 fatty acids, so don't go crazy with these.

Fruit

Avocados: great snack with lemon juice or balsamic, or make guacamole for dipping low-carb veggies
    Fruit: Optional once weight and health are stabilized. Some people can handle the sugar in fruit and still be healthy and slim, others can’t.
    If you indulge, pick fresh local fruit in season, and stick to berries such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries which are lower in sugar.
    Eat fresh fruit with a fat (peanut butter, whipped cream, cheese). It slows the blood sugar spike.

Pantry and Condiments

Canned tuna, salmon, crab, shrimp, sardines, anchovies
    Vienna sausages, canned luncheon meat (Spam or Treet) (good in a pinch, but go light on processed meats, as real meat is healthier.)
    Tomato products: canned tomatoes and tomato paste (look for the brands with the lowest carb count)
    Sauces: Pasta sauce, pizza sauce and alfredo sauce with no added sugar or thickeners
    Low-carb veggies: green beans, greens, okra (check labels for no added sugar), sauerkraut
    Canned vegetables: green chiles, roasted red peppers, chipotle peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes in oil (a little adds lots of flavor), hearts of palm
    Chicken and/or vegetable stock
    Nut butters (natural, unsweetened). These need refrigeration after opening.
    Sugar-free dill pickles or relish: use for tuna or egg salad
    Mustard (except sweetened mustards, especially honey mustard)
    Cider and wine vinegars (use balsamic vinegar sparingly)
    Most bottled hot sauces (such as Tabasco)
    Most salsas
    Tamari soy sauce (avoid soy sauce if you are gluten sensitive)
    Mayonnaise – look for the brands with the lowest carbs
    Sugar-free salad dressings
    Capers
    Horseradish
    Olives
    Lemon or lime juice (1 gram of carb per tablespoon)
    Pork rinds (crushed, these are a good substitute for bread crumbs)
    Beef jerky or beef sticks
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Things I keep stocked:
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Several varieties of cheeses, block, shredded and slices
    Jalapeño string cheese
    SF Cherry jello for sweet emergencies
    Kerrygold butter, unsalted
    Heavy cream
    Sandwich sized pepperoni, thin sliced from deli
    Cream Cheese
    Canned tuna
    Canned corned beef
    Canned salmon
    Various meats in freezer, steaks, pork chops, chicken, salmon, ground beef
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Green beans
    Canned collard greens
    Spring mix for salads
    Blue cheese dressing
    Coconut Oil
    EVOO-dont use this as much
    Lard
    Minced garlic
    onions
    Peppers
    Almond flour
    Stevia, powder and drops
    several different flavoring extracts for my coffee, vanilla, caramel, peppermint

I can throw several different meals together with the above stuff. And still manage to keep variety with such a small list. I do tend to repeat meals that I like. There are some great meals listed in the thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest and recipe links on the Launch Pad.
  • TTopless
    Options
    Oh thank you! Thank you! These are great lists. I shall print this. There are things listed I have not heard of before ie "almond flour.. and ..extracts...mmmmm! I forgot about cream cheese too, this opens a whole new world.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    TTopless wrote: »
    Oh thank you! Thank you! These are great lists. I shall print this. There are things listed I have not heard of before ie "almond flour.. and ..extracts...mmmmm! I forgot about cream cheese too, this opens a whole new world.

I have only used the almond flour to make a fathead pizza so far. It was delish. I have seen some recipes for mug cakes, I think on ruled.me, great recipes there too. I am just starting to explore baking with almond flour. I kept things simple starting out and stuck mainly with meat, salads and steamed broccoli with butter. I am venturing out in the recipe world now and I have not been disappointed.

I do the bulletproof coffee and add caramel extract and it tastes just like a caramel latte. I also use the extracts to make peppermint mochas using unsweetened cocoa powder, heavy cream, stevia and peppermint extract. I never would have thought to add extracts to coffees. Can't remember where I seen it, but it was a low carb site.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @SoosannahK I have never thought to do that either. That's brilliant! I suggested to another friend to use mint extract in a smoothie for chocolate mint but didn't even think to do that with my coffee. I'm so stealing this idea thanks for sharing :)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, TTopless. This is a "need to know" item for me also.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My food list:

Chia seeds.
    Eggs
    Wasabi flavoured sesame seeds
    Seaweed nori, avocado, cucumber, prawns (I make hand rolls)
    Salmon, chicken and/or a white fish
    Canned tuna for lunches
    Green leafy veg such as kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and arugula
    Cauliflower
    Coconut oil
    Olive oil
    Greek yoghurt
    Philadelphia cream cheese or HWC
    Coconut milk and coconut cream
    Almond milk (unsweetened)
    Benefiber (until i build up enough fiber thru' leafies)
    Maccadamias, almonds or cashews. In small groups for emergency rations in my handbag.
    Pickwicks rooibos tea (liptons is too sweet imo)

I am yet to use the almond flour that I bought. I am trying to eat fresh foods where practical. Love bacon and dutch rookworst so they are a once a week item. Red meat is also a once a week or so pricey addition.

BTW this morning I perfected my loaded hot chocolate: 3g cocoa, 5g dark chocolate, 12g choc protein powder, 40g HWC, 10g coconut paste, 100ml coconut milk, 10g benefiber, 150ml boiling water. Blended then add heat in microwave. 350cals kept me full for over 5 hours, despite walking the dog and obligatory post walk cafe visit at 1pm where I had just a cup of tea. 330pm lunch.

• mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great list for those of us starting out, thank you. I have printed it out and will be taking it food shopping with me tomorrow.

Anyone in the UK have any LC shopping staples that they have discovered within our supermarkets not listed above?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @mormas I'm in the UK, I tend to keep things pretty simple though and mainly just by raw ingredients and I shop my local farms as much as I can. I've managed to find most of the foods I can't get at the grocery store on Amazon and at my local Asian grocery store, in particular: Shirataki Noodles, Bonito based miso soup (lower carb than normal miso soup), coconut oil, ghee, nori, almond flour, Quest bars, nutritional yeast and various seasonings and spices. I also go to a local oil shop to buy my extra virgin olive oil, they import single estate olive oil directly from the farm, so it's as close as I can get to feeling safe buying olive oil in the UK.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions and info!

I find out what I'm eating and work backwards. What do I need to make what I eat?

It is a surprisingly short list.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @lowjax75, @SoosannahK, @SamandaIndia, @auntstephie321 Your lists ROCK! Nice job!

SamandaIndia mentioned Pickwicks rooibos tea, I would just add to try as many herbal teas and experiment with green tea, oolong tea, and of course the obvious, Water --bubbles or no bubbles.

Canned salmon was mentioned, I also have done smoked salmon and rolled it with cream cheese for lunch. This thread is a keeper!
  • ncprice1
    ncprice1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My stash includes:

fresh greens - collard/mustard/turnip/kale greens with smoked neck bones and/or fatback for seasoning (I'm a soul food girl)

misc fresh/frozen veggies - variety is important; including avocado, tomatoes, peppers, onions in moderation

berry fruit - fresh and frozen

fresh eggs

various meats - seafood, beef, pork, etc. Fresh pork neck bones and bacon are staples.

full fat dairy - heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, misc grated cheese (mozzarella, parm, etc), salted butter

misc fats - olive oil, mayonnaise

baking - almond flour, flaxseed meal, coconut flakes - for mug muffins

salty snacks - salted cashew nuts, pickles (dill, spicy, garlic), pork skins, powdered broth

sweets - TruVia, sugar-free gum/mints (for keto breath), cocoa powder, dark chocolate (86%)

beverages - seltzer water, coffee, decaf tea

vitamin/mineral supplements, fiber additive (as needed)

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use a lot of tinned mackerel for lunches, small leafy salad & a boiled egg. Is so filling.

For UK people;

Tinned mackerel in brine or oil
    Lamb cutlets
    Full fat greek yogurt
    Cream cheese (Boursin minis are like little fat bombs)
    Sour cream
    Extra thick double cream
    Spinach
    Caverelo nero cabbage
    garlic
    onion
    Cheddar
    Bacon
    Pickles
    Kerrygold butter
    Pure coconut oil
    Cashew nuts (unflavoured from LIDL)
    Lidnt 90% cocao dark chocolate (for bulletproof chocolate & also half a square curbs sugar craves)
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has provided great lists. I will just mention a strategy that is working for me. I need to lose at least 100lbs and am almost halfway there since beginning LCHF back in Oct. You could consider skipping lunch totally. This has been a revelation for me. Lunch was often my downfall as sooner or later I would forget to pack one and end up eating poorly (ie Macdonald's). Now I simply cook and eat an enormous breakfast with three eggs, three strips of bacon. I cook the eggs in the bacon fat and I usually add some heavy whipping cream to the eggs. With that size breakfast I am not hungry until dinner and therefore just skip lunch. It took a little getting used to and for awhile I would have som almonds around 3pm but now I don't even need those. On days when I must eat lunch (with clients) I skip breakfast and make sure lunch is keto friendly. Basically, what I'm saying is that we don't need to eat three times per day, or on any particular schedule. Just eat when you're hungry. Good luck.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ncprice1, I want to come to your house for dinner. I love soul food.
  • heyjude2014j
    heyjude2014j Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    Everyone else has provided great lists. I will just mention a strategy that is working for me. I need to lose at least 100lbs and am almost halfway there since beginning LCHF back in Oct. You could consider skipping lunch totally. This has been a revelation for me. Lunch was often my downfall as sooner or later I would forget to pack one and end up eating poorly (ie Macdonald's). Now I simply cook and eat an enormous breakfast with three eggs, three strips of bacon. I cook the eggs in the bacon fat and I usually add some heavy whipping cream to the eggs. With that size breakfast I am not hungry until dinner and therefore just skip lunch. It took a little getting used to and for awhile I would have som almonds around 3pm but now I don't even need those. On days when I must eat lunch (with clients) I skip breakfast and make sure lunch is keto friendly. Basically, what I'm saying is that we don't need to eat three times per day, or on any particular schedule. Just eat when you're hungry. Good luck.

Wtg! Have you been exercising too? Congrats on reaching your halfway mark. I need to lose about 80 pounds. Well I'll be honest after the holidays let's make it an even 100. Ugh!
  • TTopless
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »

I am like you in that I am a breakfast skipper. If I eat breakfast, I put on an instant 15 lbs. and I have to force myself to eat it. Then, I am ravenous all day. I eat a snack when I get home from work some days, but mainly it's actually part of my dinner. "Stoking the fires" of metabolism by eating small meals all day has never worked for me---nor has a low fat diet! Thanks for this --and do you have any other tips?