Love this!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    so cute!
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to find bacon less desirable as time goes on. Maybe because it isn't as good as my favorite breakfast meat - scrapple - which I can't eat because I eat LCHF.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @motown13, I feel your pain! Love scrapple and miss it so much.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I get my 1/2 ounce crumbled bacon in my eggs every day.

>:) or o:)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I bought some really good, cherrywood smoked, uncured bacon for the first time last week.
    O.M.G! That was amazing! But at 9.99 per pound, it will have to be a sometimes food ☹
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Spanky! Cute! Bacon is da bomb!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've found some bacon is just not as good as other bacon. its so weird. I bought two packs on sale somewhere and it just did nothing for me. picked up a different brand yesterday, we'll see if that has what I'm looking for. I do love the uncured nitrite/nitrate free stuff but year 10 dollars for bacon is just not happening. we do have local farms I can get fresh stuff from but I have to find the time to go there as most don't sell in the local stores.
  • motown13
    Options
    I've found some bacon is just not as good as other bacon. its so weird. I bought two packs on sale somewhere and it just did nothing for me. picked up a different brand yesterday, we'll see if that has what I'm looking for. I do love the uncured nitrite/nitrate free stuff but year 10 dollars for bacon is just not happening. we do have local farms I can get fresh stuff from but I have to find the time to go there as most don't sell in the local stores.

I was shocked, but to "me" the best non gourmet priced bacon is Walmart's thick cut. And I am never a fan of Walmart.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    yes the best one I've found was the sure fine brand, it has the savory-ness I remember bacon having, some of the others just don't have the melt in your mouth quality. Mmmmm now I want bacon.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm bacon. Drool........
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Guess what I had for breakfast this morning (with an omelet :) ). I ended up explaining the whole LCHF thing to our server (my husband and I--esp him for work meetings--are regulars at that restaurant so they've gotten to know us). She was fascinated that I've lost 19 lbs eating bacon, heavy cream, etc. And of course the whole "But isn't that bad for your heart??"
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, while already adopting a grain free diet which was lower carb, I was reading books about the Amish, and of source, scrapple was mentioned often. Being an enterprising cook interested in home cooking and with ample access to pork, I decided to make my own.

@motown13 , you can find recipes online. I don't eat wheat or corn, so I improvised my recipe. I basically cooked down odds and ends of scrap pork, much in the same way I would make my beloved headcheese. The mixture needs to thicken prior to pouring into loaf pans. You can reduce the liquid, or try using lower carb thickeners to bind the mixture. Pour into loaf pans, chill, then you can slice your scrapple slices and pan fry to crisp it up.
  • motown13
    Options
    TY Kitn.... I tried making my own once. I didn't have the patience, I guess, because it wasn't very good... and I am an EXCELLENT cook. :)