Carb blow out - after effects

Options
beccyleigh
beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
So I've been doing LC properly for 3 weeks & a couple of weeks before that vaguely. lol

Last night I took my son for a treat dinner, his dad & I have split & he is moving out next week so I wanted to give him a nice night, just mummy & son. So we go to an all you can eat multi national food buffet. I knew carbs would be involved & I didn't care about that, what harm is one night in a month I thought!!! haha.

So I had some stir fry noodles with prawns, some mini spring rolls, chow mien & some other carbish side foods. Not a huge blow out & not more food that I would normally have on LC except it was carbs.

10 mins after I started eating I could feel the bloat start, ok I thought, expected, I drank water through the meal & it didn't get any worse. BUT after leaving the restaurant I started to feel exceptionally unwell, very full, bloated & a bit foggy in my brain. So home & more water & bed.

This morning... OMG, I am parched, bloated, my skin is grey, my brain is foggy, I'm STARVING hungry (or so it feels like) & I feel like carp!!

TMI time......... I need to the toilet so bad but nothing is moving in that area so I am chugging more water in the hope of some success.

So the try to get some of these symptoms gone I will water fast today till 2 then have a very light lunch, maybe just some fresh prawns & balsamic & BPChoc tonight to get back into my 18/6 pattern.

I seriously thought I would be ok having just one night of carb excess but how wrong could I be!!

Does anyone else react like this if they go on a carb binge?

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! It's the number one thing that stops me from having cheat days. I can't take the suffering. I went through it twice and don't ever want to experience it again. Now if I feel the need to eat more, I keep it LCHF.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Grrrr keeps cutting off my posts again.

Hang in there today. Keep those electrolytes up. The body needs more fluids to process the carbs, so it's pulling them from everywhere it can find them.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I avoid carb blow outs for this very reason!

So sorry you feel so bad! It's awful, but will be a reminder for next time! Plus, you can now see how carbs were affecting your life! Hope it passes quickly! Thank you for letting us know about your experience! :smiley:
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I hate feeling like "carp"! ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I took my daughter to an Asian buffet for her birthday last summer. She loves the place.
    I specifically didn't have any noodles and I only had the tiny amount of rice in 2 or 3 small pieces of sushi. Everything else I ate was chicken, shrimp or beef and a little broccoli and green beans. But they all had sauces on them that tasted sweet. So, sugar...
    I was sick the whole next day! I'm sure I was still under 100g for the day. Maybe even under 75g but it's just a guess.
    I think your water fasting plan is a great idea. Give your belly a break today and flush out your system. Make sure to get your sodium, magnesium and potassium.
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    I hate feeling like "carp"! ;)

Feeling like carp is terrible. Haha I didn't want to upset the swear filters and figured parc was too ambiguous lol

Interesting side effect. Am craving sugar like a demon. I haven't had one for weeks!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I had a day--NYE, I think--where we had houseguests and i ended up eating monkey bread and brownies, and having a couple oz of moscato when we toasted. I felt terrible for several days after that. Really bad acid reflux for several days plus bloated, hungry, etc. In a way I was actually glad I did it b/c it made sweets and especially baked goods less appealing! Now if I want a treat, I'd just as soon have a square of dark chocolate since I know that won't make me sick!
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I had a carb binge last weekend (loads of pizza, one of my favourite foods pre-low carb) and have been feeling rubbish all week, now wondering if it's a carb hangover.............
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    The last time I had a carb binge I had a migraine for 3 days straight. I had originally thought I might have maybe 1 cheat day every week or 2, but after that I decided maybe every few months would be better. Plus, not more than 50 g. White carbs (sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, pizza, pastries) are my weakness. Once I start eating them, I just crave more and more.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of licks off the spoons and my fingers while baking over the holidays. I didn't suffer the misery you did, just enough discomfort to remind me what one of those chocolate depth bombs would do to me.

• doodleswithpencils
    Options
    What causes this intense reaction to carb reintroduction? Is it underlying health concerns that particular people have or does any body adapt to not using carbs and overreact? Just curious as I am low carb again after being successfully low carb in the past, then tripping over birthday cake, and well, we know the story. For me the scale shoots up at the sniff of carbs, which has to be some kind of reaction, but am curious as to what.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes! Problem with carbs is that I can't stop at just one. I'm all or nothing. If I do eat carbs I am super exhausted and crabby.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    What causes this intense reaction to carb reintroduction? Is it underlying health concerns that particular people have or does any body adapt to not using carbs and overreact? Just curious as I am low carb again after being successfully low carb in the past, then tripping over birthday cake, and well, we know the story. For me the scale shoots up at the sniff of carbs, which has to be some kind of reaction, but am curious as to what.

The main thing is fluid balance. Just as people quickly lose water weight in the early stages, they quickly gain it back as soon as carbs are reintroduced. BLOAT.

Both the fluid loss and regain can be mitigated somewhat with sodium, but if both help keep you low carb, then maybe they're good things. :)

There's lots of other stuff going on too. Effects on gut microbes. Changes in concentrations of enzymes and insulin receptors. It's a systemic change in either direction and can require some time to adapt.
  • doodleswithpencils
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

The main thing is fluid balance. Just as people quickly lose water weight in the early stages, they quickly gain it back as soon as carbs are reintroduced. BLOAT.

Both the fluid loss and regain can be mitigated somewhat with sodium, but if both help keep you low carb, then maybe they're good things. :)

There's lots of other stuff going on too. Effects on gut microbes. Changes in concentrations of enzymes and insulin receptors. It's a systemic change in either direction and can require some time to adapt.

That's another mention of sodium, and I'd not heard about that before coming to MFP, but I was doing low carb on my own (with lots of reading). Is it sodium that's supposed to help with 'keto flu' type symptoms as well? Just curious about why people also get mood swings with carbs too. I can't eat grains without becoming a dragon, but also seem to do better generally low carb. I haven't really been sure if it's the grains or just being low carb that calms my system.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, 3-5g/d sodium will reduce keto flu symptoms for most people. The word seems to spread slowly, but a lot of people get discouraged with low carb when they try it on their own and have to suffer through the "flu."

The brain effects are interesting, and I'm not sure they're well understood. In terms of sodium, it will increase blood perfusion to the brain, and some people actually experience an anti-depressant effect with just an increase in sodium consumption.

By restricting carbs, the main effect is a change in brain metabolism. It's calming for some people. Some people actually experience a feeling of euphoria. And it even helps with some medical issues (famously epileptic seizures).

A lot of people are sold on the long-term benefits, too. Like a reduction in protein glycation and oxidative stress. It might just be a better normal. :)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I had 2 mini pork pies (Marks n Spencers goodness) First pastry since starting WOE. Social party compliance. Then a little pulled pork. Sugary sauce. Again in a first, this was consumed with 2 champagnes and 3 glasses of red wine. That is more alcohol in a single night l than I have consumed in last 4 months combined. Next day not hungry, day after that, ravenous.

I had BPC in morning then double lunch of chicken n prawns n salad. Still hungry. Add a pinch of work stress and "hey presto" one 150g bag of cashews disappeared. Yikes!

I Have my suspicions some of this hungry is due to catch up on my not feeling hungry 2 days ago so natural flow, but first genuine eat the house hungry, (even tempted by husband's crisps!), since starting WOE so not going there again.
  • doodleswithpencils
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Yes, 3-5g/d sodium will reduce keto flu symptoms for most people. The word seems to spread slowly, but a lot of people get discouraged with low carb when they try it on their own and have to suffer through the "flu."

The brain effects are interesting, and I'm not sure they're well understood. In terms of sodium, it will increase blood perfusion to the brain, and some people actually experience an anti-depressant effect with just an increase in sodium consumption.

By restricting carbs, the main effect is a change in brain metabolism. It's calming for some people. Some people actually experience a feeling of euphoria. And it even helps with some medical issues (famously epileptic seizures).

A lot of people are sold on the long-term benefits, too. Like a reduction in protein glycation and oxidative stress. It might just be a better normal. :)

Carp. In the storm of controversy surrounding low carb, I thought I must be imagining it, but perhaps it's not the grains after all. I'll be experimenting with increasing sodium too, thanks.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I went overboard during the Christmas holidays with carbs and sweets. Had all of those after effects, plus came down with a nice yeast infection that was feasting on all the sugar apparently. Just not worth it. "Feeling like carp", is a perfectly fine description...... bloated, grey and nasty, lol.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I went overboard during the Christmas holidays with carbs and sweets. Had all of those after effects, plus came down with a nice yeast infection that was feasting on all the sugar apparently. Just not worth it. "Feeling like carp", is a perfectly fine description...... bloated, grey and nasty, lol.

Love your carp description
    Too funny!
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    It's so interesting to hear others experiences & that they are pretty much on par with mine.

It took 2 days for me to get back into the LC swing after my carb blow out on Thursday, Friday I kept dipping into carby things all afternoon so I had a strict LC weekend
    & finally today the scale went back to pre carb blow out weight.

So I am back on track but lesson learned, I will be avoiding the carb blow outs in the future.