Negative adjustments not being made

Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Not sure if this is a Fitbit or MFP problem.

A few days ago, MFP stopped making negative adjustments.

I can see the option is enabled on the website, but it's not being calculated.

Anyone else found the solution to this?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Hmmm. I got a negative adjustment (today, actually) so mine's still working. When did you notice the issue?
  • Orphia
    segacs wrote: »
    Hmmm. I got a negative adjustment (today, actually) so mine's still working. When did you notice the issue?

It started a few days ago.
  • Orphia
    Hmm, I've looked at a few help threads. This issue might have coincided with me updating my weight and my calorie limit going to the minimum of 1200 calories. I gather MFP won't make negative adjustments if you're at the lower limit.

However, I do tons of exercise and eat back most of those calories, but it's not taking any of those away, so my actual calorie limit is artificially high for that reason.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That can either indicate your desired deficit is likely too high to be reasonable - or if shorter and your BMR is actually low - you'd benefit by making your activity level Lightly Active so MFP starts the math higher and can get the full deficit in there before hitting 1200.

Then you'll get the negatives on really inactive days.

Then you are also aware of the issue of end of day adjustments being seen the next morning will be bigger, unless you really stay up until midnight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hmm, I've looked at a few help threads. This issue might have coincided with me updating my weight and my calorie limit going to the minimum of 1200 calories. I gather MFP won't make negative adjustments if you're at the lower limit.

However, I do tons of exercise and eat back most of those calories, but it's not taking any of those away, so my actual calorie limit is artificially high for that reason.

Yep, that's it. I'm at 1200 on sedentary but 1380 on lightly active, so I switched to that.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2016
    Orphia wrote: »

That means at the activity level you selected, the deficit you picked would drop you below the MFP minimum. MFP will use your adjustments to maintain whatever deficit you have BEFORE exercise. Example:

MFP thinks at Sedentary, I burn 1630 calories before exercise. The max deficit MFP will allow me to have at this setting 430 calories per day or 0.86 lbs per week loss. My Fitbit adjustments will always be to keep me at that 430 calorie deficit. It won't matter that I selected I wanted to lose 1 lb per week. The adjustments will always be to maintain whatever deficit MFP gave me prior to exercise at the activity level / goals I selected.

If I change to Lightly Active, MFP thinks I burn 1830 before exercise. The max deficit MFP will allow me to have at this setting is 630 calories per day or 1.26 lbs per week loss. Again, my Fitbit adjustments will work to keep me at the 630 calorie per day deficit even if I have selected I would like to lose 1.5 lbs per week.

So basically, your adjustment is just smaller than you want it to be because the activity level setting you have MFP set too.
  • Orphia
    Thanks, everyone!