Fattoush salad with chicken

Options
lovayou
lovayou Posts: 4 Member
Hi

Was at the mall and want to eat something so the only think I could find to eat was a fattoush chicken salad with no pita chips. Here I thought I was staying on plan when I go home and look at the carb count and totally shocked to see that there is 36grams of carbs in it. The dressing is olive oil and some spices. There was garlic sauce but that's low carb. What am I missing? I should of known it want low carb because it tasted so good. I'm so sad cause I have been doing so well the past 6 weeks and now ...epic fail. If I would of known, I would of used those 36 grams on something else! Ack!

So discouraged

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    36grams isn't the end of the world. Some people can eat that and stay in ketosis fine. Think of it as a learning thing to help you take something LCHF with you.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your nutrition details? Is it from a chain restaurant? Share the link with us and we can ferret out the carbs.

Onions, tomatoes and peppers will have a handful of carbs between them, added with cucumber and lettuce it would be easy to get to 10 grams of carbs. If an employee told you what was in the dressing, they may simply not have known and it's very likely that if they were adding pre-blended spices to olive oil that there was some sugar in the blend (I would guess that's the prime suspect) and the chicken probably had a couple grams of carbs from the marinade.

But hey, at 36 carb grams, you still made an awesome food choice while you were at the mall faced with all kinds of temptations, so don't beat yourself up, you deserve a pat on the back :smile:
  • joyfullee
    joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know this may be a dumb question, but did you remember to subtract fiber? I forget all the time! Also, that salad dressing also has mint and parsley..I'm not sure how many carbs are in those...
  • lovayou
    Options
    I looked at several sites but the 36grams came from this site. I guess they must put sugar in the dressing. Boo! I hope I don't get cravings.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi @lovayou problem solved! MFP users enter much of the data in the system, so it's not always reliable, especially for something that is comprised of multiple ingredients. Fattoush salad is traditionally served with some type of dried bread, so I'm sure the 36 grams that person entered included bread carbs.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    When you get time, enter the ingredients one by one, minus the pita chips, into tomorrow's lunch entry, and you will see the basic nutrients for what you ate. Then save that as a meal, and replace the entry you made today with that. And you can enter it again the next time you go to the mall!
  • lovayou
    Options
    Thanks for advice...I'm tempted to ask them if they put sugar in their dressing.