Recipes

Carla_wfpb
Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,368 Member
I use a 3 lb bag of onions and make a big batch of these up every week. For lunch, I have a salad with a pile of mushrooms sauteed in 1 tsp of tamari, and 1/3 of a cup of these onion heated up on top. You'll need 2 large pans and double the sauce to make 3 lbs worth, which cooks down to about 4 cups.

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/tahini-caramelized-onion-sauce/

pasted below for convenience:

Tahini Caramelized Onion Sauce
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 30 - 45 min. Total time: 40 mins
Serves: 4-6

This sauce is the perfect way to dress up a simple meal of lentils and rice. Originally featured on the now-defunct Veggie Meal Plans blog.

Ingredients (double this if doing 3 lbs onions)
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
2 tsp olive oil (I skip this, your choice)
2 cups caramelized onions, give or take

Instructions
In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, lemon juice, water and olive oil until mixture thickens.
Whisk in additional water a tablespoon at a time until mixture reaches desired consistency.
Stir in caramelized onions to taste.

Additional Instructions:
Bare minimum oil to caramelize the onions is 1 tsp per pan. I used refined coconut oil. Slice onions into thin rings or preferred cut. Add oil to pans, heat to medium-high, then add onions and a dash of salt to sweat onions. Sautee for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning the onions.

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,368 Member
    I made this one recently for the first time. Next time I'd use less lime juice (maybe 1.5 Tbsp or 2 Tbsp) and find some smaller yams! I was stuffed! As author on site says, you can bake the yams ahead of time and throw this together during the week. Perfect with a salad on the side.

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/southwestern-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
    serving size not mentioned on site, but we did 1/2 yam per person

1 avocado
    ½ c cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped and packed (or don't chop...it is going in blender!)
    3 Tbsp lime juice (~2 limes) (yikes on the amount for me....1.5 to 2 tbsp next time around)
    1 large garlic clove
    ½ tsp cumin
    ⅓ c cold water
    ¼ tsp salt, plus more to taste
    ground black pepper, to taste
    2 medium sweet potatoes
    1½ tsp cumin
    ¼ to 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    ½ tsp salt (optionally, omit or reduce if your beans or corn are salted)
    1 c cooked black beans (I just threw in a can of low sodium beans)
    1 c cooked corn kernels/frozen corn
    ½ c grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
    optional: chipotle pepper in adobo sauce for heat

Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes (depending on size), or until soft.
    While potatoes are baking, prepare the guacamole sauce. Blend together avocado, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and water in a blender or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate until using.
    When potatoes are done, slice each potato in half lengthwise. (Use oven mitts to keep from burning your hands!)
    Using a spoon, scoop out most of the sweet potato flesh from each half into a small bowl, leaving just enough flesh intact with the skin for the potato half to keep its shape.
    Mash removed sweet potato with spices. Stir in black beans, corn, and tomatoes.
    Scoop mixture back into potato halves and top with avocado sauce.

Since I had the Tahini Caramelized Onions on hand (http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/tahini-caramelized-onion-sauce/), I threw some of those on top, too.
  • annoel
    annoel Posts: 18 Member
    I love this. Need to make it again soon. Tastes just as good as a quiche, only it's all vegan
    https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_982w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/10/01/Food/Images/food211443734355.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/butternut-squash-farinata/14926/?tid=a_inl

This version of an Italian chickpea pancake includes winter squash in the batter for extra heft.
    Serve with a salad of greens of your choice.

Make Ahead: The farinata batter need to rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.

Tested size: 8 servings
    Ingredients
    •1 1/2 to 2 cups chickpea flour
    •2 cups water, preferably filtered, at room temperature
    •5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    •1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    •2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
    •3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
    •1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
    •1 tablespoon vegan butter (may substitute regular unsalted butter)
    •2 cups finely diced butternut squash (from a 1 1/2-pound peeled squash)
    •1 shallot, minced (about 1/4 cup)

Directions
    Whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the chickpea flour and the water in a mixing bowl until smooth and free of lumps. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil, the thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, whisking until the mixture has the consistency of thin pancake batter; add some or all the remaining chickpea flour as needed. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place a 10-inch cast-iron or other heavy, ovenproof skillet over medium heat.

Whisk the batter again to bring it back together. Combine the vegan butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the hot skillet, swirling to coat. Once the vegan butter has melted, stir in the squash and shallot; cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Make sure the squash and shallot are spread evenly in the skillet; pour the rested batter over them. Carefully transfer to the hot oven; bake for 30 minutes or until the farinata is no longer wet at the center and the edges are browned and pulling away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the oven; cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

To serve, flip the farinata onto a cutting board and cut into 8 equal wedges, or cut the wedges out of the pan.