Electrolytes

Options
dawlfin318
dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member

So I finished Abel's book "Wild Diet". Good stuff. I don't remember him discussing electrolytes except to briefly say to drink bone broth.

It looks like quite a production to make, and I wonder how I could supplement in another way. I drink bullion when I feel off.

Does anyone in here get enough sodium, magnesium and potassium via a powder from a vitamin store?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    So I finished Abel's book "Wild Diet". Good stuff. I don't remember him discussing electrolytes except to briefly say to drink bone broth.

It looks like quite a production to make, and I wonder how I could supplement in another way. I drink bullion when I feel off.

Does anyone in here get enough sodium, magnesium and potassium via a powder from a vitamin store?

You can buy sodium chloride tablets at the pharmacy. They are 1000mg each (1g) so taking 2 a day along with salting food should keep you doing well. Maybe 3... Depends on your needs.
    Many of us do supplement magnesium. The best absorbed forms end in "ate". Like glycinate or citrate.
    You could take a potassium supplement but I think it's cheaper and simpler to just use a salt substitute (in addition to salt) on my foods. The one I buy is called NuSalt. It's only around $2-$2.50... You get 530mg per 1/6 teaspoon.
    Bone broth contains lots of great nutrients so there is a good reason to go through the hassle. But, I have only bothered to make it a couple times and I didn't love the flavor...
    One of the benefits I wanted from it was the collagen. So I just ordered some bovine hydrolyzed collagen and will just use that for those benefits.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options

IMO, the bullion is a fine substitute and is so much less work than making your own stock. I've never had great results making stock.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Those who use bullion, are there any affordable options that do not contain MSG? The ones I have found in cube form at the grocery store all have MSG in them.

ETA: Therefore, I have not been drinking bullion, but I have been craving it! And I NEED the extra electrolytes.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Those who use bullion, are there any affordable options that do not contain MSG? The ones I have found in cube form at the grocery store all have MSG in them.

ETA: Therefore, I have not been drinking bullion, but I have been craving it! And I NEED the extra electrolytes.

The best I've ever found is no MSG added. I've come to believe it just isn't available any other way :(
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

The best I've ever found is no MSG added. I've come to believe it just isn't available any other way :(

What one?
  • dawlfin318
    Options

You can buy sodium chloride tablets at the pharmacy. They are 1000mg each (1g) so taking 2 a day along with salting food should keep you doing well. Maybe 3... Depends on your needs.
    Many of us do supplement magnesium. The best absorbed forms end in "ate". Like glycinate or citrate.
    You could take a potassium supplement but I think it's cheaper and simpler to just use a salt substitute (in addition to salt) on my foods. The one I buy is called NuSalt. It's only around $2-$2.50... You get 530mg per 1/6 teaspoon.
    Bone broth contains lots of great nutrients so there is a good reason to go through the hassle. But, I have only bothered to make it a couple times and I didn't love the flavor...
    One of the benefits I wanted from it was the collagen. So I just ordered some bovine hydrolyzed collagen and will just use that for those benefits.

And potassium? I bought the Himalayan sea salt.
    A pill for sodium seems much easier, then I can salt my food with the sea salt to get the other stuff.
    Thanks. :-)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

And potassium? I bought the Himalayan sea salt.
    A pill for sodium seems much easier, then I can salt my food with the sea salt to get the other stuff.
    Thanks. :-)

Are you asking if supplementing potassium is a good idea? I think it's the least concerning of the three electrolytes in general because as long as the others stay level then potassium shouldn't be getting lost really. But I do think using a salt substitute, which is potassium chloride, is a good idea because it's so simple to do and it does ensure you're staying balanced. Potassium is one that if overdone can have negative effects. And it's really not as big an issue like I said if you keep the sodium and magnesium up.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Thanks Sunny_Bunny. I was leery of the K+, Good to know I don't really need to supplement it.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread, but these are good http://www.amazon.com/EMERGEN-C-ELECTRO-MIX-Lemon-Lime-4-2/dp/B002HWRY5S
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I get powdered Potassium and Magnesium from Bulk Supplements-through Amazon. I also make home made bone broth in the crock pot. It's super easy that way.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In the organic section of Wegmans, (or in any health food store I imagine) I picked up bullion in the soup aisle. No msg, nothing harmful. I think it has like 1020 of sodium in half a cube. So that's good! I also got organic 'better then bullion' that you can make your stock out of. I feel very good about both of those purchases a highly encourage looking in the organic/health food section
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    I also made a bone broth last night)which I actually do all the time) in my pressure cooker. Which is so ridiculously simple. I did chicken (I just used a chicken carcus from a Costco rotisserie chicken we had eaten)because I hate the taste of beef bone broth. Nom-nom paler has a super easy bone broth recipe if you google it. Plus I just love her cookbook!
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    I get powdered Potassium and Magnesium from Bulk Supplements-through Amazon. I also make home made bone broth in the crock pot. It's super easy that way.

Crock pot, great idea! !! I Should have thought of that.
    Do you have a link or recipe on to how to do it?
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    In the organic section of Wegmans, (or in any health food store I imagine) I picked up bullion in the soup aisle. No msg, nothing harmful. I think it has like 1020 of sodium in half a cube. So that's good! I also got organic 'better then bullion' that you can make your stock out of. I feel very good about both of those purchases a highly encourage looking in the organic/health food section

We have Wegmans, Rochester NY . I get my bullion there in the 'funky food section"- that is what I call it , lol.

How do you make the bone broth, and are the bones safe for dogs once cooked?
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »

How do you make the bone broth, and are the bones safe for dogs once cooked?

I don't know about the dogs, I don't have any, but it seems like the bones would be pretty soft at that point. I just throw my bones, an onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, fill three quarters of the way with water put it in my pressure cooker for 90 minutes. So much easier than babysitting in on the stove, but you could do the same thing on the stove or in a crockpot it's just more complicated to me. After it's done I strained it with the broth in the refrigerator and the next day I skim the fat. Then I freeze it in quart bags. Though I probably wouldn't have to skim the fat anymore, but it's just a habit. I just don't want all that chicken fat in my broth.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bone broth is soooo good.

I throw 2-2.5 lbs of bones in my crockpot. Add celery, an onion, a couple tsp garlic, and sometimes a carrot (gasp), peppercorns, bay leaf, and 12 cups of water.

I cook chicken or turkey bones for 24 hours.

I cook beef bones for 48 hours.

All on low in the crockpot. My crockpot shuts off after 12 hours, so I just have to time it and turn it off, then on. That's it. Totally hands off and 100 million times better than a cube.

Then, I strain the broth through a cheese cloth and into freezable containers.

I salt mine after, because sometimes salt can affect how well it gelatinizes...is that a word? ;)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yup. Just like that. I save up my bones in a bag in the freezer and when I have a pile, I throw them in with some garlic, ends of onions, scraps, maybe some egg shells. Add some vinegar, cover with water and let 'er rip for 24-48 hours. Strain well and put in jars. I freeze small batches and take out as needed. It should be thick and gelantinous once it cools.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. You all are awesome!
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    How do you find the bone?. Do you ask the typical section in the grocery store, or have to go to a butcher ?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @dawlfin318 , save all bones you have left from meals stored in the freezer until you accumulate enough to make a batch. That's what I do.