Do you log your cooking fat?

Options
Just wondering how scrupulous some of you are about logging. I tend to log butter, but if I use coconut oil or bacon fat to cook with I tend not to, and I'm wondering if I should start.

What does everyone else do?

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I also log them. I am fairly new to this, so I can only speak of my own experience vs some of the highly knowledgeable members here, but I look at coconut oil and bacon grease as concentrated fat sources that I don't want to omit from my food diary.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    If I am frying something in olive oil, coconut oil, lard or bacon fat I will log it; however, if I'm just greasing a baking pan with lard, I don't.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't log what I cook with, but do log what I put on my food. If I use Coconut Oil to saute some chicken or veggies, I don't count that, but if I throw a big pat of butter on it when I am eating, I count the butter.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Unless it's just cooking spray for pan I measure and log but I want them fats listed so I know I'm getting enough
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    yes, I do log it. I even will go to the extent of weighing the pan first and again after cooking (and cooling) to see how much of the oil/fat was left in the pan vs what i actually ate (only sometimes, and more for curiosity's sake than to be super strict about it!)
  • bumblebeecone
    bumblebeecone Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do too unless it is cooking spray
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I do. Need to have calories count as they are normally low
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I do, I measure and weigh everything, but I'm just a little uptight like that by nature ;) And I don't deep fry anything, so I don't have that math challenge to worry about. However, sometimes I use more fat than is necessary and it doesn't all get absorbed by my food, I do not deduct that. Likewise, I don't deduct the amount of rendered bacon fat that I don't eat when I cook bacon. I don't sweat the deductions because I know calories are really just estimates, so I'd rather overestimate my day's consumption than underestimate.
  • joey4014
    joey4014 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Why would you not? Coconut oil has the same amount of calories as butter.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If I'm say cooking onions in butter and going to add them to an omelet, I'll create a recipe with the measured onion and butter, then log that. I'll create a recipe for the egg/milk/butter that is the base for the omelet, and log that. that way, if I only eat half or something, it's easier to track what portion of the butter ended up on my plate, rather than adjusting several individual entries.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    log it
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I log it, but in general I'm adding the butter or coconut oil for the specific purpose of adding fat to whatever I'm cooking. Like sautéed vegetables, lean meat.. Whatever. I typically add enough that I am pouring it from the pan on top of my food on my plate.
    If for some reason I am not adding that much and it's just the most minimal amount to keep something from sticking, then I'd skip it.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks guys! It hasn't made a difference so far in my weight loss, but as I get closer to goal (and I'm leaning more toward zero carb these days) I need to get more strict about it.

Although the past few days I've been cooking everything in the bacon grease that's rendered off the bacon as I cook it, so that should already be factored in right?
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks guys! It hasn't made a difference so far in my weight loss, but as I get closer to goal (and I'm leaning more toward zero carb these days) I need to get more strict about it.

Although the past few days I've been cooking everything in the bacon grease that's rendered off the bacon as I cook it, so that should already be factored in right?

I like that thinking. :) That would mean the bacon fat we save would be free.

We count only the bacon on the first fry, anything else in the fat counts again.

>:) or o:)

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options

I like that thinking. :) That would mean the bacon fat we save would be free.

We count only the bacon on the first fry, anything else in the fat counts again.

>:) or o:)

Yeah most bacon nutrition facts account for the cooked bacon by itself, not the fat left in the pan. I use a different entry to track the bacon fat I use from the jar in the fridge.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ah! I see. I didn't know that!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will log bacon fat separately. :smiley:
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I do log what I cook with, but I just guesstimate.