Those of you on very low carb need your thoughts

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
do yall count net carbs or total carbs? Do you allow your self stuff like low carb tortillas (found net 3carbs, but high total carbs at walmart). I've yet to venture out on on anything like these and wondering if anyone else has and if it effected you?

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have always counted total carbs, but I'm sure there are many people here who count net carbs. I think it depends on the plan you're using and what else you're eating.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs .....I have eaten the 3net carb tortillas ....great for tacos :)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    do yall count net carbs or total carbs? Do you allow your self stuff like low carb tortillas (found net 3carbs, but high total carbs at walmart). I've yet to venture out on on anything like these and wondering if anyone else has and if it effected you?

I eat net carbs (<20 in a 3 hours period; <50 in a day).

My goals may be slightly different than yours - I am exclusively interested in keeping my blood glucose in the normal ranges and (by and large) it is the net carb quantity that seems to matter for that purpose. There are some foods I react to differently than others - and I can't tolerate even 20 grams of gross carbs of those foods.

But since I don't have a ketogenic goal - I eat whatever my blood glucose meter allows - and use the net carbs as a guide to when I need to put the brakes on.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat total carbs but tried to get my carbs only from veggies. I very rarely ate anything made from grains or flour. Veggies usually have fibre and did not affect my BG much. I found I need to keep my carbs at or below 20g per day or my appetite climbs and so does my FBG.

I am experimenting with trying to eat zero carbs (well, close to it) so I just try to avoid all carbs right now.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I count total carbs although I do check net carbs at the end of every day. I find trying to incorporate any sort of store bought tortillas into my daily eating habits too difficult as they are always too high in carbs for my liking so I don't buy or eat them. I prefer to either make LC tortillas at home or make some sort of crepes (or pseudo-crepes?) and use those as "tortillas" instead because they get the job done and the carbs are so much lower that way!
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs. I try to stay close to 20 net carbs a day, although a couple of times I've been closer to 30 net and I've still stayed in ketosis. I tried store bought low carb tortillas in the past, but didn't like the texture. I found a couple of recipes on Ruled.Me and Pinterest for low carb biscuits and crusts made from cheeses and nut flours. Those seem to do the trick when I'm looking for something "bread-like."
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Ladipoet do you mind sharing ur recipe
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Total carbs, for sure. I've heard the rationale that there are probably carbs you DON'T know about somewhere in what you're eating (either because of bad MFP data, bad product labeling practices, or natural foods without nutritional labels), so in effect you count total carbs to cover yourself for the ones you didn't account for at all. I like that reasoning. But mostly I (personally) feel that net carbs are an excuse to eat more. I don't find fiber all that beneficial at VLC levels, so whether my carbs are from eggs or avocados I count them the same.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I assess both when planning my meals. My goal is a max of 20 net carbs, but I wouldn't go over 30 total carbs. My primary goal is to minimize my insulin use as I know the weight will follow, so I wouldn't risk going higher than 30 total at this point as it will require me to inject more. I spent years eating low carb bread, tortilla, crackers, etc. when I ate low carb, low fat and I really don't enjoy them, plus they increase my cravings, so I skip that stuff and don't make any fake stuff at home. Maybe one day if my body changes.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Total carbs. The "net" thing seems like a loophole to me. I don't eat grains, low carb, or not. No tortillas, LC breads, nothing like that. My carbs come from veggies and an occasional bite of dark chocolate.
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I only count total carbs and try to keep under 20g a day. I don't trust net carbs :)
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs. I aim for 15g per day but do not stress if I have up to 20. I occasionally have the low carb tortilla as long as they fit into my macros. I try to eat no wheat products at all mainly because I feel better without them, but sometimes I just need a change.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Total carbs. I also tend to avoid low carb versions of high carb foods, mostly because its just kind of disappointing and I'm just happier eating good yummy low carb foods as is...if that makes sense!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My goal is also a max of 20 net carbs, but I try not to go over 30 total carbs. Meat, fish, chicken, prawns, egg, butter, coconut oil, spinach n broccoli, nori, chia seeds are staples.

Almond flour, almond milk, a little cheese, seeds, greek yoghurt and cashews are where my carbs can sneak in more than the green leafies. Nice to be able to cook n have variety of texture n colours. I like low carb pancakes, omlette and fat head pizza. Had each once in last month just to try. Will limit just to stay low.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs and try to keep it at 30 or under. Although I have gone up to 50 net with no issues with ketosis. Sometimes I just gotta have bbq sauce with my pulled pork and stuff. I have yet to find a low carb bbq sauce that didn't make me gag. Other than that, 99% of my carbs come from veggies.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs and try to keep it at 30 or under. Although I have gone up to 50 net with no issues with ketosis. Sometimes I just gotta have bbq sauce with my pulled pork and stuff. I have yet to find a low carb bbq sauce that didn't make me gag. Other than that, 99% of my carbs come from veggies.

I make my own; I'm not sure exactly how many carbs are in it, but I don't add any sugar. You can add a touch of cinnamon to make you think it's a bit sweeter.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I count net carbs, and at this point I'm just happy to keep it under 50 a day. I've been losing weight at a good pace right now (2lbs/week) so I'm just going to continue with this right now. I will buckle down when the weight loss slows.

I haven't tried the tortillas; I'm mostly happy to just skip the tortilla and put all the "filling" on a pile of lettuce.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much following Atkins, so currently counting 20 net carbs.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much! For the detailed responses.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Have you ever tried the vinegar style sauces for BBQ? I love them.