Headaches on LCD

Options
What is the best remedies for bad headaches in the early days of LCHF, I have had a few terrible ones, advice please!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Light-headedness, headaches, fatigue, and brain fog. All common symptoms due to low blood volume from sodium losses. Sodium will fix it. 3-5g/d for most people, but just keep adding more till you feel better.

Magnesium can help too.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Keep up your electrolyte levels.
    Sodium 5,000mg
    Potassium 2,000mg
    Magnesium 300-400mg

Drink salty broth twice of more daily. Add No Salt, or NuSalt (potassium salt). Or make LC gatorade (water, Mio (or other 0-carb water flavoring), 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp NuSalt).

Supplement with magnesium through magnesium citrate, glycinate, or malate. Not mag oxide. If you have time for a soak in epsom salt bath, your skin absorbs magnesium until you get enough. There is also magnesium oil available to topically absorb it.

The salty broth or homemade gatorade (real Gatorade has almost nothing in it compared to the homemade version) will help with headaches, fatigue or brain fog caused by adapting to the low-carb diet. Fewer carbs causes our bodies to excrete more sodium, so we need to top it up frequently. You need magnesium, too, but that takes longer to fill your tank. Hit the sodium/potassium, and you'll feel relief quickly.
  • kellyfitgirl2014
    kellyfitgirl2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Sodium 5,000mg
    Potassium 2,000mg
    Magnesium 300-400mg

Drink salty broth twice of more daily. Add No Salt, or NuSalt (potassium salt). Or make LC gatorade (water, Mio (or other 0-carb water flavoring), 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp NuSalt).

Supplement with magnesium through magnesium citrate, glycinate, or malate. Not mag oxide. If you have time for a soak in epsom salt bath, your skin absorbs magnesium until you get enough. There is also magnesium oil available to topically absorb it.

The salty broth or homemade gatorade (real Gatorade has almost nothing in it compared to the homemade version) will help with headaches, fatigue or brain fog caused by adapting to the low-carb diet. Fewer carbs causes our bodies to excrete more sodium, so we need to top it up frequently. You need magnesium, too, but that takes longer to fill your tank. Hit the sodium/potassium, and you'll feel relief quickly.

Awesome thanks!
    How do you make homemade Gatorade?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Sodium 5,000mg
    Potassium 2,000mg
    Magnesium 300-400mg

Awesome thanks!
    How do you make homemade Gatorade?

LC gatorade (water, Mio (or other 0-carb water flavoring), 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp NuSalt).
  • kellyfitgirl2014
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sodium 5,000mg
    Potassium 2,000mg
    Magnesium 300-400mg

So you say not magnesium oxide? I didn't know there was more than one kind. I'm reading the bottle I got it says magnesium 250 mg. I'm guessing this is the wrong stuff then?
  • dietbepsi
    Options
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    Also I really have to agree with this advice! I was feeling that way yesterday it was awful. Anyhow I got the sodium tablets, I had broth, etc. today, I'm completely better better. Everyone had great advice :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yeah oxide doesn't absorb well. I think wet all bought that kind at first then quickly learned it just goes right through you. Be sure to keep up on the sodium even though you feel better or you can find yourself stuck in a vicious cycle of feeling great then feeling awful. So happy to hear your feeling better.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    oxide will often also give you horrible cramps and diarrhea (speaking from experience before I knew there were other kinds, too)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yep! I bought oxide type, before I knew better too! I hate waste, so I did go ahead and finish them before beginning the magnesium citrate I bought. I didn't have any negative side effects (I think, it's been a year ago, so hard to remember, though I do remember some headaches around that time, hmmmm). All has been " right with the world" since using the mag citrate though! Fyi: it took me about four months before I succumbed to the sodium advice too! It can be scary since it goes against what the medical community has taught us, but it works! Think of it this way. We are only REPLACING the sodium we have lost through this woe. Not adding it on top of what we already consume! And it truly makes us feel better! I hope this helps! Hugs!
  • kellyfitgirl2014
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, no headaches lately!