Accuracy of the MFP 5 week projection based on your calories consumed

Options
cchild2
cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
So 5 weeks ago I started to log on my weight excel file what MFP says I should weigh in 5 weeks. I wanted to see how well it tracked with my actual weight. Well today was the first comparison...

It said I should weigh xx9.3 and today my weight is.....

xx9.3 It nailed it ;)

If I don't stall too much, it should overlap pretty good a few months.

(FYI, I'm a big guy with a lot to lose, try to eat 1800-1900 kcal, and for exercise, I only put 1 kcal per minute of exercise, not what the machine or MFP says I burned)

Does anyone else track this to see how well the MFP prediction does?

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I don't track it myself, but congratulations on achieving your mini-goal!! Keep up the great work.
  • digitaltara
    digitaltara Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't because it has me gaining every time, which is not what's actually happening. I emailed Support to see if there was a way to turn it off - there isn't - so I just don't bother clicking the "complete this entry" button.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm so pleased to see that this actually works for someone, it never works for me but I'm still struggling with keeping on-plan every day so I know why it doesn't ever work for me. Well done, keep it up!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I don't, because my weight loss is most definitely not linear.

Congrats on the goal!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya, I don
    I don't because it has me gaining every time, which is not what's actually happening. I emailed Support to see if there was a way to turn it off - there isn't - so I just don't bother clicking the "complete this entry" button.

Yep, I don't hit 'complete' either, because (a) the estimate isn't based on any sort of data trend, it's only on that 1 specific day, so it's useless for prediction, and (b) I don't have it display on my wall anyway, so it's doubly pointless.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It's not accurate for me either but congrats! :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's never been accurate for me, because not " everyday is the same as today"
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yeah- I wish I was anywhere near their prediction!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yeah- I wish I was anywhere near their prediction!

I know right! I would have been at my goal weight months ago..
  • stampnrobn
    stampnrobn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love that you track that! I'm having a hard enough time tracking everything I put in my mouth along with figuring out my macros. I can't seem to get my fats and proteins right. (Don't have any problems with the calories). I'm down 13 lbs in my first 3 weeks. As I get used to using MFP I think I will try to track it!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I also have an excel spreadsheet I'm working on along side of MFP... just started Monday though. I'll keep you posted in a few weeks to see how mine measures up!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Has been exciting to see, but hasn't been accurate for me either. I'm glad to hear they get it right sometimes though! Congratulations!!
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I enjoy hitting the button and seeing it guess, but I've never actually checked to gauge the accuracy.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I enjoy hitting the button and seeing it guess, but I've never actually checked to gauge the accuracy.

I'm going to start writing the weight it says on my calendar, and recheck it in 5 weeks time.
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    We should get wall calendars and write on the day the prediction is for, so we don't have to flip back and forth, @Christine_72!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    We should get wall calendars and write on the day the prediction is for, so we don't have to flip back and forth, @Christine_72!

Yep that's what I did @KnitOrMiss . I wrote the projected weight on March 23rd on my wall calendar, so far, not so good lol Every day is so different for me, for calories AND exercise.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Yep that's what I did @KnitOrMiss . I wrote the projected weight on March 23rd on my wall calendar, so far, not so good lol Every day is so different for me, for calories AND exercise.

HA! Great minds thing alike then... I wish I was better at keeping up on calendars... I might do this. I think if MFP is going to give us those projects, it should also have a built in thing of "you were 88% compliant with your calorie goals, and you lost more/less than projected," etc. I think that would be a super awesome fantastic build in widget thingie!
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes indeedy!

Yesterday it said i was going to weigh 63kgs (138lbs) in 5 weeks. That's a 13lb drop..

It was a low calorie, high exercise day and there's no way I could keep it up for 5 weeks straight.