Already planning tonight's dinner and I can't wait!

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
One of our favorite fall-back, go-to dinners pre-Low Carb was Cheeseburger Macaroni, it was dead simple to make, absolutely delicious, and fast.

In my Insomniac Internet Wanderings this crazy early morning (it's currently 1:33am), I ran across a recipe for Keto Garlic Gnocchi. Well, I've never had gnocchi, but the pictures look AMAZING. So I googled "what the heck is gnocchi and how do you serve it?" A recipe (not low-carb) for Cheeseburger Gnocchi, from the recipe blog Kevin and Amanda, and inspiration was born.

I'm going to make Keto Cheeseburger Gnocchi - using the Keto Garlic Gnocchi recipe in place of the traditional potato gnocchi in Kevin and Amanda's Cheeseburger Gnocchi recipe. I'm making a few other tweaks - we switched ages ago to ground turkey because it is SO MUCH CHEAPER than beef, and I'm leaving out the Rotel because none of us here like it (and adding a little extra beef broth to account for the liquid from the Rotel can).

If this turns out well my children will be over the moon to basically have Cheeseburger Macaroni back in their lives! I never imagined there would be a time in my life when I was so excited to make something, but here I am, LOL!

If it does turn out well I'll be sure to come back and share the recipe; I entered the recipe and it comes out to 401 cal, 30g fat, 6g total carbs (5 net) and 28g protein for 4 servings. Not bad!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yay! I sure hope it turns out good!!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds good! Let us know how it turns out.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I saw that keto gnocchi recipe on pinterest and wondered if it was worth it. I'm curious too! I miss mac & cheese and this sounds like a great way to get my fix.
  • Phrick
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    That actually sounds good! Let us know how it turns out.

For sure! Although I forgot that I already promised tacos for tonight - so I will do this on Thurs instead (b/c my sick kiddo is the one pining for tacos and I feel like indulging him instead of changing things on him, what can I say! haha)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oooh I love gnocchi and I love fried cheese, that's like the perfect melding of the two! That looks like it would be really tasty and it looks easy to make! Let us know how it turns out.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the recipe
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Wow - looks delicious. I'm going to try this soon!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That makes me drool, but for a different reason. One of my favorite soups at Olive Garden is the Gnocchi soup... I wonder if I can make a copycat as good as mine for Zuppa Toscana! The wheels are turning now....
  • Phrick
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Finally made the gnocchi this morning, now to get Life to cooperate and actually make the Cheeseburger Gnocchi recipe tonight. I hope!!

rxchyibzbtoj.jpg

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I make keto gnocchi too with shredded mozzarella and garlic granules - so tasty!!!
  • Phrick
    Options
    I've never had regular potato gnocchi so I'll not know any different - haven't tried them yet (because I made them at like 2:30am) but I'm really looking forward to it!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That looks really good! I am also looking forward to making supper tonight -- meatza pizza (i.e. pizza with a ground beef/egg crust).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good! I can't wait to hear how the final recipe turns out! :)
  • Phrick
    Options
    It was a hit! The only thing I'd change is to NOT use 1 tsp salt in the Cheeseburger Gnocchi recipe part, holy salty (and I love salt)! It maybe needed half that, maybe even less. But otherwise everyone liked it a lot! I'm sorry I don't have a photo to share, hubby had everyone dished up before I realized what was going on - and once plated it was pretty ugly LOL ;)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Can you share your recipe n tips? @Phrick
  • Phrick
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Can you share your recipe n tips? @Phrick

I'd be happy to. I got the cheese Garlic Gnocchi from the site The Primitive Palate - it's as follows, and I followed it pretty exactly (except I did 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp garlic powder instead of all garlic)

Keto Garlic Gnocchi
    The Primitive Palate | Serves 2

Gather
    • 2 cups shredded Mozzarella (Low-Moisture Part-Skim this is a MUST–otherwise it will fall apart when boiled! I find Kraft to work the best!)
    • 3 egg yolks
    • 1 tsp granulated garlic
    • butter & olive oil for sauteing

Prepare
    1. Place cheese and garlic in a microwave safe bowl and toss around to combine. Melt cheese in microwave for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
    2. Fold in one egg yolk at a time until a homogeneous dough forms. This actually takes a little elbow grease!
    3. Portion dough into 4 balls.
    4. Chill in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
    5. Lightly grease a silpat or parchment (and your hands-it helps from sticking!) and roll out each ball into a 14-15″ log.
    6. Slice each log into 1″ pieces. (If you like, you can press the tip of a fork onto each piece to get that “gnocchi” look but it’s not necessary)
    7. In a large pot, bring about a half gallon of salted water to a boil (like you would for normal pasta). Place all the gnocchi into the pot and cook until they float, about 2-3 minutes. The strain into a colander. (*note: a few of my readers say that have skipped this step and the gnocchi still turns out great!)
    8. Heat a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil to pan.
    9. Add gnocchi and saute each side for about 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
    10. Season with salt and pepper and serve!

Notes- I under-sauteed the gnocchi in this recipe because I knew the Cheeseburger Gnocchi recipe calls for them to also be sautéed in butter or ghee to have warm gnocchi when you add them back mid-recipe.

I also DID grease my hands and the silpat I used, but it was too much and the balls were hard to roll out b/c they just wanted to slide instead of rolling. Next time I will not grease my hands so much!

The Cheeseburger Gnocchi recipe I adapted a little from the website KevinAndAmanda.com, the original recipe is here

Cheeseburger Gnocchi
    Adapted from Kevin and Amanda | Serves 4

Gather
    • 1 recipe Keto Garlic Gnocchi, prepared
    • 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
    • ½ lb ground beef or turkey
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
    • 1 teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
    • ½ tsp onion powder
    • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 ¼ cups beef broth (or Better Than Bouillon base + water)
    • ¼ cup heavy cream
    • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Prepare
    1. Melt butter or ghee in a 12-inch broiler-safe skillet (such as cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add gnocchi in a single layer and cook on one side for 2-3 minutes until browned and toasted. Shake the pan to toss the gnocchi and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, tossing occasionally, until both sides are toasted. Remove gnocchi to a plate and set aside.
    2. Turn the heat to high and return skillet to stove. When the pan is very hot, add the beef or turkey, and season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and mustard powder (if using). Add the onion and garlic, and cook until beef is browned and onions are golden, stirring occasionally. Drain if necessary.
    3. Add the broth, then add gnocchi back into the skillet. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes until the gnocchi is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
    4. Turn off heat, then add the cream and ½ cup cheese and stir to combine. Top with remaining cheese. Place the skillet under the broiler in the oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 3 minutes. (if you don’t have a broiler-safe skillet you can bake at 350 for 10 minutes-ish, or skip this step. It will still taste awesome!)

(Note, the lesser amount of salt needed IS reflected above, the original called for 1 full teaspoon)
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Does the keto gnocchi actually absorb much liquid?
  • Phrick
    Options
    BalmyD wrote: »
    Does the keto gnocchi actually absorb much liquid?

not a lot, no, but it still turned out not too sloppy. I just asked my husband and he said he did add a little sprinkle of xanthan gum (not even enough to measure) and of course now it's too late to edit the recipe to include that.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Many thanks @Phrick I will try that.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @Phrick Thank you for the inspiration for our valentines dinner yesterday! We had seared chicken breast and keto gnocchi tossed with pesto sauce. It was good, but I would note that as it cools they become less soft and fluffy. Probably better in something like the cheeseburger dish you made. We still liked them just fine. Baby liked them too!