How do you feed your kids? / brain fog

Options
I have two separate questions. I didn't know if I was supposed to create two posts or not. I'm super new to groups/forums.

Sorry if this has been answered before. I looked in past posts by there were just so many pages! How do you feed your kids? Do they eat what you do? Do you add starches to their meals? Mine are 4 and 6. I constantly feel the need to add carbohydrates but I don't know if this is because I've been brainwashed to think that every meal should have them or if kids really need them.

Second, I keep hearing about brain fog and how it lifts when you're in ketosis. My brain doesn't feel different. This is my 3rd week on the keto diet and I've only lost 5 lbs (of which I read is water since it came off in my first week). I'm usually between 5-10 net carbs and never go over 25 total carbs. I've gone over in protein at least 3 times a week though. No alcohol (yet!), diet sodas, and last week I cut out sweeteners. See? brain still foggy. I started with asking about brain fog then ended asking about why I'm not losing weight. What's up with that?

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I began this woe making a carb side for my hubby and son (son will be 19 next week). Since my hubby got on board with me I quit doing that. Son is away at college four days a week anyway. But, my opinion is that the children don't NEED carbs (wish I could go back, but no do overs, right!).

The brain fog you feel is from a lack of sodium. We ketoers need about 5000mg of sodium daily to prevent this side effect! When ketones pass through our urine, they take sodium with them. So, your just replacing what you're losing, it's not extra. Also, magnesium and potassium can be off balance with the loss of sodium too! Recommendations: sodium (almost impossible to reach the amount needed through food, but can be done) 5000mg a day from sodium sources like Himalayan Pink salt....or sodium tablets (i use these because I get tired of eating food just to get sodium)pickle juice...,magnesium (ates, citrate, glycinate, work best around 600 mg a day), and potassium, which is easily found in products like Nosalt, or NuSalt (salt substitutes) that would be used along with the other salt. Electrolyte imbalance is a big thing with this woe, and keeping it controlled will help you feel better throughout the process!!

Good luck!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Some folks believe we're ALL deficient in magnesium, ketones or no ketones. Besides Karlotta's excellent advice, treat yourself of an Epsom Salt bath once or twice a week. It helps take the everyday toxins out and puts some magnesium back in at the same time. Make it an extra treat by using Dr. Teal's lavender scented Soaking Solution. Heaven.

Yes, I know you have two small children and soaking in a tub is problematic. Do what a friend of mine did: Tell your kids no one is allowed to disturb you unless someone is actually bleeding.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If you dont have time for the bath, they also make a magnesium lotion to absorb through your skin too. I use one with melatonin every night on my stomach/fat areas (I feel like fat absorbs it better - just glad I have spare fat :) lol - no idea if that is true). I sleep MUCH better. You can also put it on achy muscles and supposed to help. The melatonin is very different when absorbed through skin vs taking a tablet - no grogginess or anything, just sleep "better" somehow (or placebo? i will take it either way ).
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids, ages 13, 11, 7, and 5. They aren't LC. I have decreased their sugar intake markedly though. Lower sugar/starch choices. Low-sugar oatmeal and cereals. Their pancake syrup is now sugar-free. Juice is watered 50/50, no sugar sodas, no sweets except on the weekends. I've also cut down on their snacking some. They eat their normal all day, but at supper, I cook LCHF. Sometimes I make them a starch, but they don't get as much of that as they used to.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have 2 stepkids, 8 and 11. They don't eat a LC diet overall, but for dinner they eat what their father and I eat. They have sandwiches for lunch (we make our own bread) and cereal or oatmeal for breakfast on school days (I buy low or less sugar varieties and they don't seem to notice).

It makes it easier for me to plan my breakfast and lunch if I know what I'm having for dinner so I meal plan a week at a time. Last night's dinner was chicken, broccoli, and cauliflower with a garlic cream sauce and for a side we had Brussels sprouts. So no "starch," but still some carbs. Sometimes dinner is a piece of steak and a salad. The kids never notice- they haven't fallen into the trap of "dinner= meat, starch, veg" that I grew up on. If I hadn't already planned a meal with a starch/ carb, then I don't make one just to add it to their plates. They dont' seem to suffer for it.

• inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My kids eat much like baconslave. They are 10, 9, 2.

When I make a carb, I try to make it what is considered a "healthy carb". They still get sweets, but only a few times a week.

Overall, they are eating lower carb, but not as stringently as I do. They probably eat between 75-100 carbs per day.
  • workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    If you dont have time for the bath, they also make a magnesium lotion to absorb through your skin too. I use one with melatonin every night on my stomach/fat areas (I feel like fat absorbs it better - just glad I have spare fat :) lol - no idea if that is true). I sleep MUCH better. You can also put it on achy muscles and supposed to help. The melatonin is very different when absorbed through skin vs taking a tablet - no grogginess or anything, just sleep "better" somehow (or placebo? i will take it either way ).

I feel like I've always had sleep problems. I fall asleep easily but don't stay asleep. I took oral melatonin for a few days with varying dosages and it made me feel drowsy all day. The LCHF diet has stopped that. I sleep now! (We'll, not right at this 5pm moment, but I blame that on my sleeping sick kid who keeps on shoving her foot in my back.) Thanks for the tip on the cream. My sleep could be better and my calfs have been achy for 8+ days.

Thanks everyone for sharing. Now I feel better. My kids asked to eat their burgers like mine (wrapped in collard greens - because, as we all know, what's on mom's plate MUST be more tasty than what's on anyone else's plate, even if we're all eating the same exact food.) I felt like I was denying them something by not giving a starch.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My boys are 7. I have evolved over time too. Their breakfasts and lunches are generally on the more carby side (esp when DH is feeding them). Dinner is more LCHF, though there are times they'll have pasta or rice while I have an alternative or just eat my meat sauce over veggies or whatever.

I no longer feel the need to give them a starch at every meal. Fairly often dinner is something like a taco salad (or DH and I might have ours as salad while the boys have their taco filling in tortillas with salad on the side); meat with roasted or steamed veggies, etc. They're fine with it. If they're still hungry after they eat what's on their plate, I'll sometimes let them have something more starchy. I know when I wasn't fat-adapted I would get hungry faster if I ate only meat and veg. Their appetites at dinner can vary widely anyway; sometimes they're not hungry at all and other times they seem to have a hollow leg. Kids and growth spurts, I guess. :) (They eat lunch early so they usually have a substantial after-school snack, too. That always includes a protein and a fruit or vegetable, but often sth like crackers or pretzels as well.)

They really eat more carbs and sugar than I would like. Working to gradually cut back, especially on the sugar. One of our boys inherited DH's super-low HDL so I'm thinking of experimenting with a lower carb higher fat diet for his sake especially, but probably more moderate than what I do.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ive been Keto for 9 months now. When I first started, I cooked for the family exactly like normal except I stopped using margarine for them. I would only add the amount of butter that they should have on their high carb diets and then I would add more to my foods once plated.
    I would just not eat their starchy side.
    The first time I made lasagna I made myself a separate one with sliced zucchini for noodles. Everyone tried mine out of curiosity and the kids thought it was good. My husband thought it was good, but weird. I made it again a month or so later with only zucchini and after my husband ate half of his he asked me if I was "off my diet now" because he knew we were eating from the same pan and he thought it was made with pasta! Lol So, I clearly don't ever need to make it with pasta again.
    As time went on, I reduced the amount of starchy side I would put on their plates (I make everyone's plates) and increased their vegetables. There started to be leftover pasta or rice getting thrown out.
    My husband does the grocery shopping. He has evolved from always buying an assortment of packaged, starchy sides to very rarely buying any. And usually if he does it's brown rice or brown rice noodles for stir fry dinners, and he specifically asks me to only give him a little bit of it. :smile: I think this evolution is inevitable as the family sees your results. Even if they don't go all the way with you, they will eat less processed food and carbohydrate overall.
    My "kids" are 13, 17 and 21. 13 year old has always been smaller than other kids his age and very, very skinny! So much so that years ago, doctor suggested I make him a high fat milkshake on a nightly basis to help him gain some weight! (Didn't work) He's very active and plays baseball. Even in the off season he is conditioning with all sorts of bodyweight exercise and kettle bells. He is the only one that still snacks on chips, cookies and junk food on a daily basis. The whole family knows my position on the idea of individualized eating, meaning not everyone can eat the same way. Also, that simply being thin doesn't mean healthy. So my son does have limits on the junk food and is made to have real food snacks in addition to it and as priority to the junk.
    Middle daughter is petite and has become interested in health over these months. She wanted to stop taking ADHD meds and uses MCT oil and other supplements instead. She decided to stop drinking any form of sugar sweetened beverage on her own and even weaned herself into unsweetened tea from her previous 8 sugar packets. She will cut back carbs for a few days if she feels she had overdone it previously. So, she's just aware that they shouldn't be over consumed basically. She also gets into conversations with teachers about Keto from what I've told her and she said a couple of them actually wrote stuff down! lol
    Oldest daughter is T1D and a carb addict like her mother! She has most certainly developed some insulin resistance and upon going back on her insulin pump has decided to go full Keto with me as of a week ago. Yay! You may have seen my post about her water retention issues. She has been overweight when she was a kid, but not since her diagnosis.
    Anyway, you do want to be mindful that the carb eating family not get too much extra fat from the foods that you do both eat or they will get fat while you're getting skinny! :wink: and of course that's where the idea that fat causes cholesterol issues comes from. High carb plus high fat is a source of that issue. But, I think there's a natural evolution in the rest of the family over time as they see you get healthier.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My DH and I are weaning my kiddo (9 yrs) off sugar slowly. Some days he doesn't even realize what we're doing. He loves my keto dinners- even prefers zoodles over pasta and he loves my dark chocolate. He still gets his pbj's for lunch and whatever else carbs he intakes throughout the day. But like others, we've switched to low sugar everything and he's starting to eat eggs with us in the mornings. He is an extremely active kid- martial arts and swimming on alternating nights, so I feel like I need to carb him up on those days. He's "starving" after swimming so I've been making him a banana-pb shake with diluted whipping cream. He sleeps like a babe. Fruit and veggies of all sorts is still on the table for him, he's just eating less starch and sugar overall.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I have 3 little ones, ages 3, 2, and 1. While I would love to say they only eat health foods, I would totally be lying. Since starting this way of eating, I've been trying to decrease their carbs, especially the processed ones, but I don't plan to eliminate them. That's unrealistic for us. That said, I wouldn't be upset if their only carbs came from vegetables and fruits. I just don't have it in me to attempt that at this point. Crackers and cheese are too easy.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My kids are 11 and my husband has a 13 year old that is at our house a couple times a week and every other weekend. I would say none of them are really low carb...mine eat far more well-rounded than my stepson does, but still carb foods. Mine usually have pancakes, cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, stepson rarely eats breakfast (unless you buy donuts, pop tarts or if you make cinnamon rolls/muffins/pancakes). For lunch they all have pbj most days, probably some chips/snack/fruit/yogurt/cheese (it's different each day but those are the usual suspects). Dinner is whatever we eat. Pretty typical for them - meat/potato/veggie - sometimes no starch. My kids will eat most veggies, stepson will eat nothing but corn and white potatoes. My son loves salads, hates white potatoes, my daughter loves raw carrots/cucumber (so that's her salad). Unfortunately both of my kids LOVE bread. Like they would eat a loaf of it if I let them. Thankfully they don't eat it often except with lunch. I want to work towards less junk in their diets, but they're creatures of habit and they might rebel unless I do this super slowly lol.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think it would be good for most kids to feed them a low-ish carb diet, like cutting out added sugar, and most, or all, flour and grains. Giving them fruit, legumes, and moderate amounts of starchy vegetables would be plenty of carbs that offer nutritional benefits.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I think it would be good for most kids to feed them a low-ish carb diet, like cutting out added sugar, and most, or all, flour and grains. Giving them fruit, legumes, and moderate amounts of starchy vegetables would be plenty of carbs that offer nutritional benefits.

I agree.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I completey agree!

A lifetime of low-fat, processed diet foods (along with ideas like eating a tub of fat-free Cool Whip is a completely acceptable dessert thanks to Weight Watchers) is probably largely what contributed to my IR, and to my husband's pre-diabetes. We don't want the same for our kids. I'm glad I can feed them better so they have a healthier relationship with food.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Regarding the munchkins, we do a "limited carb" diet. They certainly still eat candy here and there, and have some carbs with their meals. However, I've begun to limit the amount and increase proteins and fats. This looks like limiting to 1 piece of toast instead of 2, making just a half a sandwich (with extra meat and cheese) etc. My daughter, who is 6 and was a few pounds overweight, is now in a healthy weight category!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Regarding the munchkins, we do a "limited carb" diet. They certainly still eat candy here and there, and have some carbs with their meals. However, I've begun to limit the amount and increase proteins and fats. This looks like limiting to 1 piece of toast instead of 2, making just a half a sandwich (with extra meat and cheese) etc. My daughter, who is 6 and was a few pounds overweight, is now in a healthy weight category!

I make inside-out sandwiches, sort of. I buy cheese in bricks (why pay extra for them to slice it for me, right?), so I just cut pieces of cheese and sandwich lunch meat between two pieces of cheese. My 3-year-old carboholic loves it! My 2-year-old isn't as much of a fan and lately has been eating the cheese and leaving the meat behind, but whatever. And baby boy will eat anything.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have four kids (9, 6, 3, and 6 months). They do eat more carbs than I do (well, the baby gets breast milk and one meal of solids a day; she'll have a bit of sweet potato, banana, egg yolk, chicken, avocado, or carrots... We're still introducing things). I try to keep the junky stuff to a minimum (for example I never keep soda in the house, but I don't mind if they have one on the rare occasion we go out to eat; sugary desserts are for special occassions and usually homemade; I don't often keep chips or fruit snacks or the like in the house; etc). I do make sure they get enough fat, and good quality fat - we only have whole dairy products, I don't use heavily processed oils in any of the cooking, I serve fattier cuts of meat, plenty of butter on the veggies, etc). The starches that I do serve tend to be "safer" starches - starchy veg, rice, oats - and in small quantities (I fix their plates and the rule is "no seconds of anything unless you've finished firsts of everything"). I don't necessarily limit their fruit intake (unless it gets ridiculous, lol). They are young, healthy, active, and growing - I simply focus on giving them as much minimally processed food as I can, and the rest seems to take care of itself.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

That's marvelous! She's learning healthy eating habits too.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I haven't really thought about changing the family's eating habits. I cook all our meals and I don't do special orders, with nine mouths to feed I will never get out of the kitchen. Being Mexican there are always tortillas on the table, dinner consists of meat, starch and veggies. They eat anything I put in front of them whether its broccoli cheese soup, lentils, stew, it all goes down. But I have notice that they eat a lot of carbs but since I think they eat healthy I've haven't thought about changing it. But aftet reading this post I am going to start experimenting.
    I usually eat the same minus starch and tortillas. Or do a smoothie.