Keto Newbie - confused, concerned, unsure how to proceed

Options
Hello everyone!

I am very new to the ketogenic diet - started about 3 days ago. I've been reading TONS on the diet, both from the MPF forum and just googling in general. In the past 2 days I seemed to have developed a slight yeast infection, along with cracking/dryness in the corners of my mouth, and a swollen eyelid (just the eylid and only on the right side). Aside from these things I feel like my normal self. I'm just not sure how to proceed. Should I see my doctor for medication, or are these things just caused by my body adjusting to the diet and will eventually disappear?

I'm also a little confused with my macros. I've put my info into a few different online keto calculators and they all seem to give completely different results. I used http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and it gave me the following:

1237 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
20 g Carbs
85 g Protein
91 g Fat

But then I used a keto calculator found on a site called "Keto Adapted" - Maria Mind Body Health - http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/keto-calculator/ - and it gave me the following:

1237 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
6.2 g Carbs
46.4 g Protein
114 g Fat

So as you can see, quite a bit of differences between the two. How do I know which to follow? I really want to make this work as my little sister is getting married on July 9th and I'm going to be one of her bridesmaids. I have about 30-35 pounds to lose. Not sure if giving my stats will help, but I'm 28/female/5'8"/188lbs.

Thank you everyone :)

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I can't really advise you on your macros, but as far as your symptoms go...

There's no way 3 days into the diet (or any diet) will cause this, unless it was an underlying condition. Commonly, cracking of the mouth can be caused by malnourishment (what was your diet like prior to the low carb?), vitamin deficiencies, yeast (candida), sometimes strep. This is not contagious, but may require antifungal cream or other meds to help clear up...no ideas on your eyelid. Your combo does kinda sound like yeast issues though.

I wouldn't stop the diet due to your conditions, but I would recommend a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis & possible meds.

Also, are you getting plenty of water?

Your goal is completely attainable, btw.
  • Freckles_87
    Freckles_87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @ JodehFoster: thanks for the reply! I thought it might be a little soon, but wasn't sure. My diet was TERRIBLE before switching. Lots of highly processed foods, added sugars, a lot of carbs etc. I thought the symptoms might be caused by my body getting rid of excess toxins etc

I'm definitely drinking plenty of water. I went from roughly 16 ounces per day (plus a lot of sugary juices etc) to getting at least 64 ounces.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The calculators show different amounts depending on how quickly you want to lose weight. But I think you'll lose at both those macros! My carbs vary from 2g per day to 30g...you'll need to work through it for a while to see what works for you! Some people are more sensitive to carbs than others.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I would use the ankler calculator. I honestly don't know why the other site is reducing carbs and protein along with calories for the faster weight loss. I have to even question why it would even give such extreme reduction as the "advanced" weight loss in the first place.
    Overall, I have seen good info on the site. But I never tried that calculator until just now.
    Carbs at 20 is just fine. You could quite likely go even higher than that. But that's my preferred level.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would go with the first one. Carbs at 6 seems a bit extreme especially if you are starting out. I started at a limit of 50g and went down to 30g with no problem. I might go lower, but I'm wanting to see how my body reacts to different things. Friend me if you would like. I have similar stats as you except I'm 43 not 28. ;-)
  • Freckles_87
    Options
    @ Sunny_Bunny_ and @ kimmydear: thanks for your replies! I'm going to stick closer to the ankler calculator, as I feel more comfortable with the macros. Thank you :)

Also, @kimmydear - I've just added you !
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yeast infections early after beginning this way of eating (woe)aren't uncommon. The yeast live off of the sugar we consume, and when we stop eating it they die, giving us the fun (not) of an infection. The mouth and eye COULD be yeast too, but really no way to know. If its bothersome, seek medical treatment. While there get a diflucan for the yeast infection instead of using the monistat (nasty stuff even though it works).

I would stick with the first posted macros, too! The second one is whacked for whatever reason!

Best of luck to you!! :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ JodehFoster: thanks for the reply! I thought it might be a little soon, but wasn't sure. My diet was TERRIBLE before switching. Lots of highly processed foods, added sugars, a lot of carbs etc. I thought the symptoms might be caused by my body getting rid of excess toxins etc

I'm definitely drinking plenty of water. I went from roughly 16 ounces per day (plus a lot of sugary juices etc) to getting at least 64 ounces.

And 64 oz is great from 16 oz, but that's not "plenty of water." For your current weight, your goal should be in the ballpark of 90-100 oz. And make sure you're getting enough sodium. Extreme dehydration can worsen the cracking around your mouth and such.
  • Freckles_87
    Options
    @ Karlottap - the numbers did seem a little out of whack. Definitely going to stick closer to the first set of macros!

@ KnitOrMiss - Thanks for the info! I had no idea that I needed more than 64 ounces. I guess I was just going by what is usually recommended! How much sodium should I be getting/day? I usually sprinkle on a little himalayan pink crystal salt onto my foods, but it's not measured. Is there a ballpark sodium goal I should be aiming for when starting?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @ Karlottap - the numbers did seem a little out of whack. Definitely going to stick closer to the first set of macros!

@ KnitOrMiss - Thanks for the info! I had no idea that I needed more than 64 ounces. I guess I was just going by what is usually recommended! How much sodium should I be getting/day? I usually sprinkle on a little himalayan pink crystal salt onto my foods, but it's not measured. Is there a ballpark sodium goal I should be aiming for when starting?

Sodium starting out is recommended at 5000 mg MINIMUM.... This eating plan dumps massive quantities of sodium working to balance it out, so you must replace a lot. Some folks resort to salt tablets if drinking bullion and/or pickle juice isn't enough....

EDITED TO ADD: it's incredibly difficult to get that much just by food.
  • Freckles_87
    Options
    @ KnitOrMiss - thanks! Having an idea on what to work towards definitely helps! I want to make some broth to drink - would I just use the normal knorr bouillon cubes for this?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes, as long as you don't have issues with the minor amounts of MSG. Bone broth is another good option. Or lots of pickles/pickle juice....sounds gross but tastes great...makes you feel great too.

When I first started, I was salting EVERYTHING and doing about 2-3 cubes/cups of broth daily.

EDITED TO ADD: Non-msg versions are out there, but normally organic, more expensive, and at specialty stores.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Knor could do it. Magnesium celate is also your friend. Worth investing... check the launch pad for handling keto flu and there are great tips there too. Good luck. You are actually taking a great step towards a healthier gut. Good luck with wedding prep n weight loss mission.
  • Freckles_87
    Options
    Should I be concerned that I'm not meeting my daily calorie goal? I had it set to 1300 calories/day, but was finding it really hard to actually consume that much. I'm finding since I've upped my fat and lowered my carbs, I'm fuller for longer and don't need to eat 1300/day. I eat around 1000 + or - depending on the day, and that's keeping me full all day. I've had a few people criticize me for eating so few calories, but I really just can't eat any more. I try to and I just end up feeling overly full - like how I felt before starting keto when I was eating mass amounts of carbs. As long as I reach my macro goals, do I have to worry about calories?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Watch your deficit on a weekly basis. If you're not going dangerously low, you should be okay, but adding butter to veggies/meat; butter, cream, coconut oil, and/or MCT oil to any hot beverage, etc. are quick ways to add extra fat calories, too.

Going at too much of a decifit for too long can actually stall weight loss, so just keep an eye on it and track it for a week or so.
  • Freckles_87
    Options
    @ KnitOrMiss - I'm not intentionally doing such a high deficit, it just happens that that's the amount of calories that makes me full :) I'll be sure to watch it though, as I don't want to stall my weight loss in any way!
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've read all the replies to your questions and I have to say I agree! The only thing I would add is to be gentle with yourself. Adapting to this way of life takes time and I started out with 50g carbs and had a few foods I wasn't ready to part with until I got my bearings. I've been keto for 18 months now and feel fantastic - like SERIOUSLY. I'm moving into maintenance and the only thing I will change is to add about 200 calories of fat.

Hang in there & keep researching & asking questions!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The lack of hunger that comes in the beginning is such a strange feeling! It's wonderful, but so different from every diet we've tried before where we have starved to freaking death, lol! It's true! Lower calorie days are okay as Lon as they don't continue to the point of malnourishment. What will normally occur is the lower calorie days will even out with some higher calorie days (you will still have hungry days) making malnourishment a non issue! You're doing great! :smiley:
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Erinseattle I'm curious if you are heading into maintenance what your weight loss was for how much time invested?

Personally I need some encouragement. I have been doing this for 6 weeks and have had NO success.....no weight loss to speak of AND no inches lost. #veryfrustrated
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ditto the others. The first one sounds more reasonable.

I started out at pretty much exactly the same weight as you, I am 5'8", but I am 14 years older than you yet my calories were set at 1420 kcal per day (but I usually ate 1500). I still managed to lose 2-3 lbs per week with almost no exercise. My macros were about 18g carbs, 71g protein, and 118g fat.

You might want to consider increasing your calories a bit if you are hungry or not feeling great. Going too low may not be healthiest for you especially if your previous way of eating was not very healthy.