How to get back on track after a bad carb day

Options
Tanya1551
Tanya1551 Posts: 20 Member
Hello all!
Ive been doing so well a month and a week in and have lost 18 lbs to date.
Although last night i totally fell off the keto train bad- i guess stress of dealing with a toddler on a sleep strike totally did me in!
I did log the food i ate - some pasta, cereal, chocolate milk - and overall was about 1200 cal over my usual and hit around 120 carb grams when im used to between 20-30.
Definetly feel the bloat and headache this am, but ready to get back on track.
Was wondering if anyone had tips as to what to eat / what not to eat for a few days

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great Job so far Tanya! My go to for a carb overdo and if you want to jump back to keto is a quasi- water fast the next day. Waters, coffee, MCT oil in tea when hungry during the day and just a protein (9 oz steak- yum) for dinner. I've bounced back quickly, but it can be hard core. My motto is, if you play you have to pay. It will average out. But don't be too hard on yourself. Today is a new day and there will be lots of slips in the journey, so brush it off and keep on, keeping on. Best to you.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi Tanya, I'm right there with you. I've done so well and have resisted all the cravings, dealt with tons of stress that normally drives me to eat, watched all my friends and family stuff themselves with yummy looking carbs and avoided it all, but the night before last, life just pushed me over the edge. But I got up the next morning and brushed myself off and got right back to eating right. The nice thing about this woe is that it's so easy to get back on track. Any other time I would have kept saying "tomorrow, I'll start again tomorrow" and tomorrow simply never comes.

I started my post-cheat day with bacon and eggs because it's delicious and doesn't feel like punishment, I had some broth for lunch and for dinner I had some mince meat and shredded cheese; I did also eat my daily Quest PB cups too as my evening snack, they're 7 carbs net. I'm normally under 20 net carbs a day, so I try to push it to under 10 the day after a cheat. I've even done a bit of a fat fast in the past, keeping the protein as low as possible and the carbs to practically nil, in order to burn through the carbs I ate as fast as possible.

Congrats getting back on track!! Don't beat yourself up.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like PaleoInScotland's suggestion of starting off with a delicious low carb breakfast.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I like PaleoInScotland's suggestion of starting off with a delicious low carb breakfast.

Yes. Good idea.
    Some people recommend water fasts and/or fat/meat fasts. Some say exercise intensely fasted to burn out that glycogen.
    Those methods are fine to employ. If you want to and feel like going hardcore will help you focus on getting back to business.

I say, just get back on-plan. Keep your electrolytes up and stay hydrated. I do recommend being extra tight on those carbs though. No loosey-goosey for 3 or 4 days. Getting back to your new normal with minimal stress is really the best thing, IMO. You'll get there in time. No need to race.
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I too had an indulgent weekend......... this is day 3 of getting back on track..... any idea how long before I hit ketosis again? I am not registering yet...... 3-4 days sound right?? Staying under 25 carbs a day...............
  • Tanya1551
    Tanya1551 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much everyone for such great opinions and advice - i was planning on a water and coffee only type day with some protein and fat for dinner for a day to help get back on track and then back to bacon and eggs for breakfast tomorrow !
  • teruma
    teruma Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tanya1551 wrote: »
    Thank u so much everyone for such great opinions and advice - i was planning on a water and coffee only type day with some protein and fat for dinner for a day to help get back on track and then back to bacon and eggs for breakfast tomorrow !

Maybe try an egg fast? Look it up, it's all about eggs, cheese and butter.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    jobean12 wrote: »
    I too had an indulgent weekend......... this is day 3 of getting back on track..... any idea how long before I hit ketosis again? I am not registering yet...... 3-4 days sound right?? Staying under 25 carbs a day...............

You'll get there, but if you want to ramp it up, do some fasted exercise, have a day of fasting from dinner one night until dinner the next night or get some MCT oil and do a Keto coffee fast, where you don't eat after dinner one night, only have a couple cups of coffee with only butter and MCT oil and then eat at dinner that night.
    But you don't have to anything but lower carbs to get there.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    What @baconslave described worked for me when I had a day like that. Sounds like you have a good plan in place!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Double check this, but I think I remember in the Dr. Adkins book that he said that if you cheat once during phase one, the best thing to do is to load up on your fat intake as soon as possible. Again, this is going off of a memory from long ago, so fact check that.