MFP can subract macros if you use negative numbers!!!

Options
cchild2
cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
Am I the only noob that didn't know this?!?!?

For example, put a burger king whopper in with a serving of (1), then also put burger king whopper bun with a serving of (-1) and bam! You have the macros of a whopper w/o the bun! (granted that is already in the system, but this is just an example)

Neat!

Replies

• kuulmamma
    kuulmamma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for passing the info
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This should definitely be added to the reference sections. I resurfaces every few months or so. :) Thanks for bring it back around.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I did not know that -- thanks.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love learning something new every day. Thanks I'll claim this for today.
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    new one for me. thanks for sharing!
  • CoffeeSalty
    CoffeeSalty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Am I the only noob who doesn't get it? lol I've seen something about the negative thing, but that kind of stuff flies over my head. :s How does adding the -1 take off just the bun?

So what other kinds of stuff would this work on?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You would:

Add a quantity of 1 for the burger.
    Then, look up the entry for the bun, add a -1 quantity and add the bun.

Two data lines in your diary.

There for you have 1 burger with the bun, minus one bun. If I remember what day I did this on, I'll post a diary link as an example.
  • CoffeeSalty
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, I'm still trying to learn how to navigate where I've posted and just now seeing this! I'd love to see an example. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, I'm still trying to learn how to navigate where I've posted and just now seeing this! I'd love to see an example. :)

@CoffeeSalty Finally found a day. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary?date=2016-01-26

Look at lunch. I made the "Pizza Mess" recipe without the cream cheese, so I put a negative quantity for cream cheese, to get a removal of calories and macros... Let me know if this makes sense.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I used to do this with bacon. I would log the raw bacon, and then I would subtract the weight of the bacon grease I poured off.
  • CoffeeSalty
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, the entry took me to my own diary for Jan 26! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Me too. But ironically It was the same entry i spent 20 minutes looking for this morning! I gave up because I couldn't find it. I went through every day in December and half way through January before I gave up! So thank you @KnitOrMiss :lol:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Me too. But ironically It was the same entry i spent 20 minutes looking for this morning! I gave up because I couldn't find it. I went through every day in December and half way through January before I gave up! So thank you @KnitOrMiss :lol:

LOL Glad to help...
  • CoffeeSalty
    Options
    That one worked! When I tried the first one and it went to mine, I thought wow she's having what I'm having! lol Such an easy concept and seeing it helped. Thank you ;)