Cardio

Options
So i'm sure this has been asked like a million times, so please forgive me.

How much cardio do you guys do?

I was doing almost 6 days a week or cardio, with a mix of steady state and hiit. But im finding out i'm doing too much and should just stick with 2x15 min HIIT sessions and 2x15 steady state sessions a week.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any formal cardio in months....until recently. Now I try and get 2-3 x 10-30 min walks (3.5 mph at 8%+ incline) per week. Steady State all the way as HIIT can be too intense to feel rested for my weight training.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Little to none on machines. I have a 1 hour session w a trainer to lift 4 days a week. We have a mini cardio (sprints, burpees, thrusters ect) built into each session at some point to get/keep our heart rates up and move thru the lifts fast. A few days a week I walk, either on the treadmill, elliptical, or outside w my dog just to get my fitbit steps to 10K daily. 8-12K steps is my typical range.
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of steady-state cardio; I get bored pretty quickly. I do like my body shape and feel a lot more when I've been doing cardio though, so I try and get in at least 2-3 short sessions of HIIT a week, usually on the bike or treadmill. I also aim to average over 8,000 steps a day, so usually that means taking a little walk around the block on my lunch break to help me make target.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Right now? None.

During non-winter months I hike (900 ft over 5.5 miles. Takes me about 1.25-1.5 hours).

I won't add in metabolic finishers or hiit in unless I hit a plateau.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Tons during the warmer months - but just because I have higher % of type I muscle fibers and aerobic system that trains well and I enjoy it.
    I still have goals and attempt to keep the lifting going, but eventually priorities of racing mean the lifting has to stop to support primary goal - just opposite of Jennifer.

Someone on friends list was sharing NPR show about heart health with several cardiologists - and they all basically agreed that for just plain benefit - couple sessions a week of hitting 90% and over HRmax during intervals was all you needed.
    So just like lifting makes your other muscles stronger, the lifting type response of intervals on your heart has same benefit.
    Obviously if any questions confirm with Dr if that is good idea or not.
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5-6 days per week. I do it for the heart health, plus I enjoy it.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just finished a marathon, a bucket list goal for me. I'm still going to run, just considerably less. I did sign up for a half marathon all the way in October but thats the longest I'll run.

During marathon training I stopped logging and ate whatever I wanted and I got a little bit off track, but now that that goal is checked off my new main focus is on losing weight. I'll be running shorter distances with a focus on speed and try to incorporate some weights. Trying to eat healthier and learn self control over sweets. Trying not to OD on carbs everyday even though I love them so much. hahaha!