Low Cost Almond Flour

Options
So, I'm wanting to try to do some cooking/baking with almond flour, but it's too much money to spend on so little at the store. I recently saw a blog/article about a women who got blanched slivered almonds and finely chopped them in her food processor and also in her vitamix. She then baked some cookies with each type and said both turned out really good....sounded like it might be a little less smooth than the kind she buys at the store, but overall it was on par enough that she felt it fit the bill for almond flour. Has anyone here done that? Or found a brand that is reasonably priced? I'm a fan of Bob's Red Mill products, but it was insanely expensive at our local store and if I'm the only one potentially eating it, it really needs to be more cost effective.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I buy Bob's Red Mill, usually when it's on sale, but I don't use it often. I think the usual price here is $9.99 for a bag.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    We were using almond flour in gravy. We now use Hodgson Mill - Gluten Free Xanthan Gum - Packet it's $.50 a packet /8 gravies for us. Way cheaper than flour. Doesn't taste like anything either.

>:) or o:)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like King Arthur better than Bob's...it's a finer texture. Not as easy to find though. Bob's goes for about $14 @ the health food store here, but I found it @ Walmart for $8.99.
  • mamagib4
    mamagib4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use whole almonds all time. Depending on the amount of "flour" I need I will either grind them up in my food processor or if is just a spoon full I need I use my coffee grinder. Works perfectly!!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has it as well and I think it's around 6 or 7 bucks. I haven't purchased any yet, but thinking about it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I made almond milk once and with the leftover pulp I dried it in the oven and used it, it worked really well and nothing was wasted, you can get plain almond for about 6 a bag at aldi. So if you want to make almond milk soak then in water overnight then blend with water, strain through a cheese cloth, store the milk on a mason jar on the fridge. Then take the ground up nuts and put on the oven on low to remove any excess moisture,, you can grind it down more to make it finer. It's like a 2 for 1
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I got a 5 pound bag from Honeyville from their website because I didn't know any better; it was $50. I think Walmart has it cheaper.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    When I am buying bulk I buy Wellbee's super fine from Amazon - $49 for 5 lbs isn't too bad for a super fine almond flour - when I run out and just need a little to get by, I purchase it from the bulk bins at Winco. It's NOT super fine and doesn't work in some recipes but for most it is OK and the price is right.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    landiodo wrote: »
    I got a 5 pound bag from Honeyville from their website because I didn't know any better; it was $50. I think Walmart has it cheaper.

I know Costco sells Honeyville b/c that's where my mom got hers; don't know if it is any cheaper than getting it on their website but at least you don't pay shipping that way. In a lot of recipes, Bob's Red Mill or the Winco Bulk Foods Bin kind is just find but for some baked goods, you really NEED a super finely ground almond flour and BRM just isn't (even their "finely ground" option that's come out recently) so there's that to consider as well. $50 for 5 lbs is about average and not bad for a superfine but if you're paying more than that for BRM quality then yeah, better to shop around
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Trader Joe's. I don't know how much it costs, but I remember that it was a lot cheaper than Bob's Red Mill.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I do need to make a Costco run soon, so perhaps I see what the price is there when I go. Thanks again!!
  • natalialikescookies
    Options
    Costco just started carrying honeyville for way way cheaper than I've ever seen. 3lbs for $21! It's a fabulous deal!