Almond Milk?

Options
ponoi
ponoi Posts: 1 Member
What do you do with almond milk? I buy it and throw it away because I'm too timid to try cooking with it. I don't like the taste of just drinking milk.

Replies

• helloisa05
    helloisa05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with almond milk. I find its lighter tasting than the 1% I'm use to drinking . Sometimes I add some honey to sweeten it or a banana. My toddler seems to like it as well.
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I was buying it regularly, I used it on cereal and in oatmeal, and in my coffee. Never tried to use it in place of dairy for cooking, though.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I mind that it is a good substitute in most cases, but I am not picky about my milk. I think it also just depends on what you are making.
  • amethyst_1504
    amethyst_1504 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I soak my porridge oats overnight with almond milk. I find that I don't need to add anything to sweeten it as the almond milk gives it a sweetness :)
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee, oatmeal, and other cereals. I also use it a base for my protein smoothies. I use it as a substitute for regular milk in recipes if it's adaptable.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I usually use it for non-cooking applications - cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, coffee.

But I have used it for a

Quick Zucchini Noodle Alfredo
    Zucchini Noodles (I just used a vegetable peeler to create long flat noodles).
    2 Tbs Light Cream Cheese or Laughing Cow - 2 wedges
    1-2 Tbs Almond Milk - it's best if you can find a plain (not vanilla) unsweetened version
    A pinch of salt and pepper, maybe a dash of hot pepper flakes if that's your thing.
    It's about 100 cals

I've also used it in stuff like Banana Bread - can usually take the place of milk fairly easily. But I don't bake that often.

• kathyniavarani
    kathyniavarani Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of milk in anything and everything I can! It takes a little getting used to the different flavor, but one I did, I LOVE IT!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i use it for cereal and anything i need "milk" for.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,843 Member
    Options
    I mainly use it for protein shakes, but lately I've use it in recipes that call for milk. I can't tell any difference.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I use non-dairy milk like almond milk in place of everything and ive found that it doesnt usually change the taste of your cooking all that much :) not to mention lower calorie. There are some things that it could be a little sweet for I suppose but ive never had any problems.
  • goffk01
    goffk01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take one serving of unsweetened almond milk with one serving of Maxwell house decaf Mocha instant coffee and sweeten to taste with Splenda. You have a great tasting chocolate shake as a snack. You can put it in the freezer also and let it ice up a little and that is great also. It's low in calories and carbs.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I use it for smoothies and eat it with cereal...it's delicious!!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    goffk01 wrote: »
    I take one serving of unsweetened almond milk with one serving of Maxwell house decaf Mocha instant coffee and sweeten to taste with Splenda. You have a great tasting chocolate shake as a snack. You can put it in the freezer also and let it ice up a little and that is great also. It's low in calories and carbs.

This sounds amazing...I'm definitely going to try it!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I get the unsweetened vanilla almond milk that has 30 calories a cup. I put in my coffee with equal, splenda, or stevia. A glass of skim milk has around 100 calories in it. Using almond milk allows me to shave at least 70 calories off of my morning allotment.
  • stellabest99
    stellabest99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use it in everything as well, where I used to use milk... better for my asthma if I can avoid real milk and I love the taste. I just use plain unsweetened almond milk
  • _caseyg
    _caseyg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I normally use it for smoothies, cereal or oatmeal.
  • makeller12
    makeller12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk (30 cals/cup) in place of skim milk to make sugar free-fat free pudding. Only thing is you have to add about 1 to 1/12 tsp of corn starch to the mixture so it will thicken.
  • melzybelzy1989
    melzybelzy1989 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ponoi wrote: »
    What do you do with almond milk? I buy it and throw it away because I'm too timid to try cooking with it. I don't like the taste of just drinking milk.

I make smoothies using a cup of protein vanilla Almond milk 1 cups of strawberries peaches and bananas. And 1 scoop of fruit punch preworkout formula. It's soooo good and good for you :)
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Like most people said - coffee, oatmeal, smoothies/shakes.

The only other time I've used it for cooking/baking was for making pancakes with Bisquick... Diiiidn't really work out too well.