getting past the nausea

Options
Upon suggestions I tried to increase my fat consumption yesterday. I ate 3 pieces of bacon in with 2 fried eggs for lunch. Then for dinner I asked my boyfriend to make some meatload. Half turkey half hamburger meat. I ate 3.5 oz of that for dinner. With just that amount of food it said I ate 101g of protein. Now that has to be way to much.. right?? Around midnight I woke up feeling sick. I could sleep most of the night because I felt so bad. Finally at 330 I said screw it and got out of bed. It is now 935 and I still feel sick to my stomach. I am nursing a cup of hot tea right now wanting this to pass.

I have no idea why it made me feel this way. I do know yesterday was the first day I ate hamburger meat in months. I had a turkey patty last week. I did not feel bad afterwards.

Replies

• heyjude2014j
    heyjude2014j Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I typically eat approx 100g protien per day and I've felt fine. Not having enough electrolytes, however, has had me downing chicken broth. Maybe that was just a lot of meat for your tum to handle after a long absence? I 2nd that ground turkey is a little easier for me to digest too. Baby steps :)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Did you have a salad or any veggies? I do find that drinking Bone Broth or Boullion is a good idea , I'm new to this WOE but have not been nauseous and , each person is different , but I'm eating similar protein to you - also I eat avocado and a low carb salad every day. Be sure you read the forums here on this WebSite , they're helpful.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bad beef. Use grass-fed only.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat all the necessary protein and then add veggies on top of it. I really have a small appetite. So it really does not take much to fill me up. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday i tried to eat as much fat as I could. Every day I felt terrible. Yesterday I did eat bacon and eggs for lunch. Well it came right back up. For dinner my girfriend brought me some sushi. I ate that and started feeling better soon after it. I also ate a little green tea ice cream and drank a small amount of gatorade because my stomach could not take any more water. I still fell well below 30 g of carbs. Today I am feeling a little better. I ate a boiled egg for breakfast and drank peppermint tea. I also ate about 1 oz of pork cracklins. Again I feel it in my throat. I am going to take a step back and eat what I normally eat. My fish and chicken. I have added the buffalo chicken dip and i will eat an avocado. But that is as far as I am going to go for now. My body is tellling me something. I am just not absolutely sure I know what.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of chicken and fish. I just add butter to it. Or a sauce or something. It can work
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    How about salmon with herbed butter on top? That's high in fat, but easy to digest.

The G2 gatorade is pretty low in carbs, if you need some electrolytes.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    How about salmon with herbed butter on top? That's high in fat, but easy to digest.

It's also pretty low in electrolytes as well, unfortunately.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat all the necessary protein and then add veggies on top of it. I really have a small appetite. So it really does not take much to fill me up. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday i tried to eat as much fat as I could. Every day I felt terrible. Yesterday I did eat bacon and eggs for lunch. Well it came right back up. For dinner my girfriend brought me some sushi. I ate that and started feeling better soon after it. I also ate a little green tea ice cream and drank a small amount of gatorade because my stomach could not take any more water. I still fell well below 30 g of carbs. Today I am feeling a little better. I ate a boiled egg for breakfast and drank peppermint tea. I also ate about 1 oz of pork cracklins. Again I feel it in my throat. I am going to take a step back and eat what I normally eat. My fish and chicken. I have added the buffalo chicken dip and i will eat an avocado. But that is as far as I am going to go for now. My body is tellling me something. I am just not absolutely sure I know what.

Describe that feeling. It sounds to me like there might be something else going on.

And no, technically 100g of protein isn't too much. However, if you're smaller, it might be more than you need, and since you're re-introducing foods, it might be more than you can handle right now. Take it slow. This is a marathon, not a sprint. :)
  • bumblebeecone
    bumblebeecone Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I had similar issues I find adding fat like olive oil to be much More effective and allows me to have smaller amounts of meat and more room for vegetation. good fat is always better . I eat three small/medium meals with tiny snacks between and add avacados olive oil and raw nuts for good fats . I had to just play around with it till I found what works for me I have lost 40lbs since August yay! bacon grease any kind of grease makes me sick if i eat to much I can hardly eat anything fried either which isn't a bad thing, but you get the point . for me grease is bad good fat is good :) hope this helps

• bumblebeecone
    Options

Yes I love fish with butter or olive oil for extra fat it doesn't turn my stomach either . this is a good idea . consider the types of fat your consuming some digest easier than others
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I wonder if that feeling is heart burn related. I personally don't have typical heart burn symptoms, I get a swelling feeling in my throat.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @Dragonwolf.. I think I am having such a difficult time because I am forcing too much too fast. The feeling in my throat that I mentioned is just me feeling at all times like everything I just ate is about to come right back up. I have been taking it easy the past two days. I really havent been forcing myself to eat a whole bunch of food. I can not say without a doubt that I have been feeling this way because of the food that I was eating. I do know yesterday and today were not as bad as the previous days.

@bumblebeecone I think that is really how it is for me. I am gonna stick to my leaner meats. I have a bunch of avocado which I love so much, plus the olive oil and nuts. I also bought some pork cracklins to snack on. I really will go the entire first part of the day without eating anything. When I try to force myself to eat an egg or drink a protein shake in the morning I feel like crap. So I will eat something small between 1-330pm and then I try to eat dinner by 630. After that I will have a sugar free popsicle. At 8 I take my night time meds and then I am in bed no later than 10. That is my cut off point. Congrats on the 40 pounds. That is so awesome. I am really just wanting to lose another 10 pounds, maybe 15. I am super stoked that I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks. Hopefully I will be able to find my sweet spot. This can definitely be challenging in the beginning. I am buying stuff I do not normally eat and then I wonder what the heck I am going to do with this stuff. I bought coconut milk because there was suggestions to get it. I dont know why I got it. I am not a milk drinker to begin with. I got heavy whipping cream and tried it in some green tea. It was terrible.

Another interesting thing I noticed is when I first started the low low carb eating I started sleeping better. I am a insomniac, typically up and down the entire night even though I take sleep meds. But I was sleeping through the entire night. I also suffer from notorious headaches eveyday. Those went away also. Plus of course I all around felt better with lots of energy. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this was not the case. I had rough nights and felt low. Yesterday I ate light and last night I slept through the entire night. Woke up feeling a little off at first but I feel much better right now. Is that normal? Could my body have been telling me all along that I was poisoning myself and thats why I always had headaches and had poor sleep?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Another interesting thing I noticed is when I first started the low low carb eating I started sleeping better. I am a insomniac, typically up and down the entire night even though I take sleep meds. But I was sleeping through the entire night. I also suffer from notorious headaches eveyday. Those went away also. Plus of course I all around felt better with lots of energy. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this was not the case. I had rough nights and felt low. Yesterday I ate light and last night I slept through the entire night. Woke up feeling a little off at first but I feel much better right now. Is that normal? Could my body have been telling me all along that I was poisoning myself and thats why I always had headaches and had poor sleep?

Most likely. I used to have chronic headaches, too. When I went Primal some 3 or 4 years ago (which cut out grains and sugars), I went from 800mg of Ibuprofen daily to rarely ever needing any. For me, those things cause inflammation, which manifests as headaches.

Definitely take your time trying to increase the fats. It takes some time for your body to adjust to them, because they are quite rich.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @wishfulthinking79, I am also a chronic headache sufferer who has seen such a drastic improvements since beginning this woe a year ago! There wasn't a waking moment without a headache of some kind! Took tons of medications without good results. I now will drink about a half cup of pickle juice when I get a headache (which might be once a week now!). I also see carbs as poison for me, because of the way I felt then vs. now. Some people see that view as extreme, but was
    true for me! I do feel the food I chose to eat was poisoning me, making me terribly ill! I'm so glad I found this woe! It's changed my life!
    I was slow to begin with increasing my fat intake. It's so different from what we have been told not to eat our whole lives! It's hard to overcome beliefs about things. I agree with taking the fat intake slowly, especially since you don't seem to feel well from it. Imo, as long as you're getting the benefit of not having uncontrollable food cravings, you don't need that much more each day. If you are still having cravings, though, you want to keep increasing them, little by little, until you get to the level that gets you the best results!
    Also, please heed the advice on the electrolytes! I still have to watch to be sure I get enough sodium....or I will feel worn out, and have leg cramps that leave me with pulled muscles! So, it's not something you fix once, and move on. This is a daily need (anywhere from 3000-5000mg of sodium is needed each day)to keep the electrolyte balance where you feel best. Remember, the sodium I am recommending isn't extra salt. Its replacing what you lose with the ketones through your urine. It will give you back that ketosis energy too! :smiley:

Remember, there is no hurry here. Work with this, at your pace, finding what works for you. Take the advice given and apply what meets your needs, without you feeling ill while doing it. Hang in there! Hugs! :smiley:
  • bumblebeecone
    Options
    I hope you keep feeling better . thank you on the congranulation also I am super excited and thank God every day for helping me figure out all this and find my sweet spot. I am sure you will too I also don't like to eat first thing in the morning I have to be awake at least an hour before I feel I can eat and then I like it light lol. Have you ever researched gluten sensitivity or Celiac's I ask because alot of what you are saying match how I was feeling till I found out I had Celiac's disease . the word disease is to harshly used here it is cured by not getting gluten after I gave up gluten I sleep ,I no longer have anxiety or heartburn or bad headaches no more unexplaned nausea .my daughter seems to only be sensitive she can eat small amounts and is fine . if I get anything over 10parts per million (ppm) I feel sick and get bad stomach cramps. I was told 12 years ago I had crohns disease. Well imagen my surprise when I found out a few months back that it wasnt it at all and all I had to do to feel much better was not eat gluten 12 years of pain sickness and bathroom trips (16x a day) it was so easy to fix . unfortunately it can take up to 9 years for it to show up in testing but maybe research it and try a few weeks see if you feel better and talk to a doctor about feeling sick if it continues it may be something else .. Hugs I hope this helps
    God bless
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @bumblebeecone You are the 2nd person who has brought this up to me. My girlfriend this weekend asked me if I ever thought I had it. We were talking about all the positive side effects I have had since changing my diet. To be honest I never really noticed what had gluten and what didnt. I guess I will for sure take a look at that now. I will let you know what I think once I take a look at it. Thanks
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've had similar issues. These past few days I haven't had a lot of fat or protein like I'm trying to get, but when I do get a lot of fat or protein I will wake up around 5 am with a nauseous feeling that takes a while to go away. I'm hoping when my body gets used to the higher fat and protein intake, then it will go away.
  • bumblebeecone
    Options
    @bumblebeecone You are the 2nd person who has brought this up to me. My girlfriend this weekend asked me if I ever thought I had it. We were talking about all the positive side effects I have had since changing my diet. To be honest I never really noticed what had gluten and what didnt. I guess I will for sure take a look at that now. I will let you know what I think once I take a look at it. Thanks

Awesome I hope you can get it sorted out :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The second time I tried this woe, when I first cut my carbs down to 20g a day, I also felt very nauseous and struggled to keep food down some days. One of my low carb books referenced the sodium depletion aspect of the diet and advised of drinking broth, my nausea improved dramatically after I upped my sodium and this time around, better managing my sodium, I haven't struggled with it much at all.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland Yeah I definitely should up my sodium. I am also way below the recommended amount. I seen on here about some drink that I can make by mixing salt, salt substitute, and sugar free flavoring. I am going to try that.

I am feeling better at the moment. I did try to eat a boiled egg but that didnt work out very well. I hate like half of it then tossed it. I did pack me some pork cracklins. I will try to snck on those later.