Any tips for reactive Hypoglycemia?

Options
sues427
sues427 Posts: 6 Member
Landed in ER last night due to extremely low blood sugar. I'm 18 months out from RNY and now need some ideas for small snacks that work to negate the drop in blood sugar. I know I did it to myself by eating a small piece of King Cake - it was Fat Tuesday! Live and learn.
I have contacted my primary care doctor and nutritionist just waiting to hear back from them, but thought you might have some practical tips. Thanks.

Replies

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Eat protein with all meals and snacks. For me, it is certain carbs that affect me especially in the morning. If I have certain things in an empty stomach my blood sugar drops a few hours later and I am shaky most of the day. It doesn't even matter what I eat after it. Most days the first thing I have is a protein shake. When I feel my sugar dropping, protein with some fat and carbs. Help like pb on a rice cake.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Protein first, always. Carbs, when eaten, should always be eaten with said protein, and never on an empty stomach. What you experienced was likely dumping syndrome, which can make you feel like you're dying (at least it did me -GasX). Hope you've felt better today!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Stop eating simple carbs, especially by themselves. Reactive hypoglycemia is not the same as hypoglycemia, and should not be treated the same. Diabetics who get low blood sugar drink OJ, eat candy or a glucose tablet, and their blood sugar returns to normal.

Reactive hypoglycemia hits RNYers at about 18 months, right where you are. It happens because you eat the sort of carbs that raise your blood sugar. Then your body over produces insulin, which causes your blood sugar to crash. If you drink OJ, take a glucose tablet, candy, etc, it will raise your blood sugar. You'll feel better. Briefly. But guess what? Your body reacts to the sugar rush by over producing insulin, causing your blood sugar to crash. You are now on an insane roller coaster.

Many people keep hoping for a magic snack or medicine to fix the issue. It doesn't exist. The solution is to eat a proper bariatric diet to begin with. Dense protein first, a little healthy fats, a little complex carb in veggies. No simple carbs or starches like sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, etc. No sugar from fruit. Sugar is sugar. Do those things and you will not have another RH episode. Keep having too many simple carbs, and you'll stay on the roller coaster.
  • sues427
    sues427 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm pretty much compliant with the protein first and no simple carbs, (I'll really watch now that I know what will happen if I eat simple carbs or starchs). I've got a glucose meter and I'm checking my blood sugar. My appointment with the dietician is next week until then I'll keep my proteins up and my simple carbs off my plate.